Liberal Companies Working to Destroy Democracy

PeoplesElbow

Nope, that wasnt an inclusive list at all, there are more mostly hybrids, and I'm unsure about battery longevity there, not sure how advanced the battery management systems are on those. Although, again, do people drive 400-500 miles without stopping even if they have the range to do so? I mean Newport Rhode island is 450 miles away, and 7.5 hours by Google. Me, I'm never driving that long without taking a break, and I suspect most people dont. I know some people do, but I think most dont.
It isnt about taking a break, it's about having to take a 40 minute break to refill at a place you might not normally spend 40 minutes at.

I stop at a station that has superchargers at in Cumberland, but it's a run in, pee, maybe grab a drink, 10 mins max.

I use to have an SUV that couldn't make it 300 miles on a tank, what I would have given for 2 more gallons to its tank.

rmorse

It isnt about taking a break, it's about having to take a 40 minute break to refill at a place you might not normally spend 40 minutes at.

I stop at a station that has superchargers at in Cumberland, but it's a run in, pee, maybe grab a drink, 10 mins max.

I use to have an SUV that couldn't make it 300 miles on a tank, what I would have given for 2 more gallons to its tank.

Again, the difference is you aren’t topping off the tank every night with a GV. That’s why glhs837 asked about if you regularly go 500 miles in ones shot. With an EV, you’re charging it in your own garage at night

PeoplesElbow

Again, the difference is you aren’t topping off the tank every night with a GV. That’s why glhs837 asked about if you regularly go 500 miles in ones shot. With an EV, you’re charging it in your own garage at night
Understand that point, I seriously considered building an electric car for my daily 10mile commute. More of my commute is on base than off base. Doesnt help though when I want to go farther than 250 miles, it's really the flexibility that EVs dont have that a lot of people will have issue with.

Also doesnt do any good for city or apartment dwellers.

Smokey1

Also I want to reiterate:

These people are NOT liberals. They are fascists, Marxists, Leftists, tyrants, despots, and totalitarians, but they are not liberal in any way.

Just like the words racism and equality the leftists have changed the meaning of the word. Classical Liberals are what you would call a Libertarian today. Liberal now is just another word for leftist.

glhs837

Power with Control
Understand that point, I seriously considered building an electric car for my daily 10mile commute. More of my commute is on base than off base. Doesnt help though when I want to go farther than 250 miles, it's really the flexibility that EVs dont have that a lot of people will have issue with.

Also doesnt do any good for city or apartment dwellers.

And thats where perception matters. There's the magic 400 miles range that people have a expectation that they need to have for a BEV to have parity, even though the data shows the amount of people who actually need that sort of range is vanishingly small. The average commute is under 50 miles, which some advocates insist means that 200 mile BEVs are fine, we dont need longer range than that. And they are wrong, I think the sweet spot is in the middle. Of course, once these new 4680 cells come online, we'll see what effect they have on recharge times. What if it wasnt 40 minutes, but 10?

Nope. that's going to take time to build out. Workplace chargers, that sort of thing.

PeoplesElbow

And thats where perception matters. There's the magic 400 miles range that people have a expectation that they need to have for a BEV to have parity, even though the data shows the amount of people who actually need that sort of range is vanishingly small. The average commute is under 50 miles, which some advocates insist means that 200 mile BEVs are fine, we dont need longer range than that. And they are wrong, I think the sweet spot is in the middle. Of course, once these new 4680 cells come online, we'll see what effect they have on recharge times. What if it wasnt 40 minutes, but 10?

Nope. that's going to take time to build out. Workplace chargers, that sort of thing.
It is the exceptions that people also buy vehicles for, how many actually need a truck or SUV? Most people want to go on vacation with their car, load up the family trickster and drive to Wallyworld.

glhs837

Power with Control
It is the exceptions that people also buy vehicles for, how many actually need a truck or SUV? Most people want to go on vacation with their car, load up the family trickster and drive to Wallyworld.

And that's fine, one reason I think the cybertruck will do well, even if Joe the Drywall guy refuses to pull up to the jobsite in a stainless steel apocalypse truck. Lots of your "I need a 14,000lb towing beast to do my 10 mile commute to the base very day" truck guys will love it, even if they dont need it.

PeoplesElbow

And that's fine, one reason I think the cybertruck will do well, even if Joe the Drywall guy refuses to pull up to the jobsite in a stainless steel apocalypse truck. Lots of your "I need a 14,000lb towing beast to do my 10 mile commute to the base very day" truck guys will love it, even if they dont need it.
You mean the same guys that ICE out Tesla owners?

glhs837

Power with Control
You mean the same guys that ICE out Tesla owners?

Yeah, those guys :) Gonna be something to see when the Cybertrucks start rolling around. Most folks think it was a stunt, that they are not really doing to produce exactly what we saw. To them, its like the Tomahawk motorcycle Dodge showed back in the day with the Viper engine, or the Mercedes and BMW future concepts. They dont get that Musk doesnt do concepts. Says that showing cool things you'll never build is BS. So when one shows up at Lowes, its going to be mobbed. One person I know suggested taking it to the local Ford and Chevy dealers and parking it while you run in the get something for your other car......maybe an air freshener.

I think the first ones in any given area can make some serious money be letting a local merchant add some wrapped advertising.

PeoplesElbow

I've always thought it would make a great off roader, a very expensive one, but great with that smooth bottom and relatively flat body that wouldnt catch on things.

glhs837

Power with Control
I've always thought it would make a great off roader, a very expensive one, but great with that smooth bottom and relatively flat body that wouldnt catch on things.

When you price the dual motor CT against the Raptor or TRX, it's not really that expensive at 49,999. All three come with on the fly auto or manual adjustable air suspension. Top line is only 69,999. Yes, that's expensive, but that's the price point for a full size off road optimized pickup.

PeoplesElbow

When you price the dual motor CT against the Raptor or TRX, it's not really that expensive at 49,999. All three come with on the fly auto or manual adjustable air suspension. Top line is only 69,999. Yes, that's expensive, but that's the price point for a full size off road optimized pickup.
Full size, of gasoline pickups nothing beats a Tacoma (2ng gen, 2005-2015).

glhs837

Power with Control
Well, you are never competing against used products, but the new stuff. Isnt the Tacoma mid-sized though, while the Tundra is the full size?

And looking at Tundras, for the 5 person TRD Pro with a 6.5 foot bed, compared to the 49,999 Dual Motor you get a little less towing, 9,500 vs 10,000, but about half the payload capacity, 1500ish to 3,500. So when you look at the competition in full size trucks of equivalent specs, you can make a case pretty quick.

PeoplesElbow

Well, you are never competing against used products, but the new stuff. Isnt the Tacoma mid-sized though, while the Tundra is the full size?
Yea, midsized, on the east coast offroading means narrow, wooded trails. The reason the smooth flat panels of the cyber truck would do well offroad.

The newer Tacomas are OK, but they got rid of the 4L engine for a higher revving 3.5 for better CAFE numbers. They still beat the Jeep Gladiator offroad.

This leads me to another question, electrics hold up well to high miles, but not so much old age. I know people with 25 year old trucks that still run like a top.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yea, midsized, on the east coast offroading means narrow, wooded trails. The reason the smooth flat panels of the cyber truck would do well offroad.

The newer Tacomas are OK, but they got rid of the 4L engine for a higher revving 3.5 for better CAFE numbers. They still beat the Jeep Gladiator offroad.

This leads me to another question, electrics hold up well to high miles, but not so much old age. I know people with 25 year old trucks that still run like a top.

Which part might be the issue? With the newer cells (the ones being put into the current models) having a life expectancy of 300-500 thousand miles, and the ones coming in the next year or two (the 4680 cells) looking to have one million mile life expectancy, it shouldn't be the cells. The years matter far less than the charge cycles, I think.

I know what you mean, son and I took two 88 Samurais, and yanked the motor out of one that handt started in at least five years, slapped it into the other one with a blown head gasket, and the motor we slapped in just started right up. What does a 25 year old battery pack with 150,000 miles look like, reliability wise? Well, we cant know for 20 years.

PeoplesElbow

Which part might be the issue? With the newer cells (the ones being put into the current models) having a life expectancy of 300-500 thousand miles, and the ones coming in the next year or two (the 4680 cells) looking to have one million mile life expectancy, it shouldn't be the cells. The years matter far less than the charge cycles, I think.

I know what you mean, son and I took two 88 Samurais, and yanked the motor out of one that handt started in at least five years, slapped it into the other one with a blown head gasket, and the motor we slapped in just started right up. What does a 25 year old battery pack with 150,000 miles look like, reliability wise? Well, we cant know for 20 years.
The Prius that were driven long and hard actually held up better than the ones that do less than 10k miles a year. There are Prius taxis with over a million miles. The guy who drives it only a few times a week for 10 miles is the guy that will have issues.

I figure a 25 year old battery will be a paperweight. I wouldn't buy a used hybrid or electric 10 years old and expect the battery to be much good and would figure on a replacement in the cost. Batteries like to be used, cycle times matter less if you dont charge or discharge them all the way, stay in the 20-80% charge state.

glhs837

Power with Control
The Prius that were driven long and hard actually held up better than the ones that do less than 10k miles a year. There are Prius taxis with over a million miles. The guy who drives it only a few times a week for 10 miles is the guy that will have issues.

I figure a 25 year old battery will be a paperweight. I wouldn't buy a used hybrid or electric 10 years old and expect the battery to be much good and would figure on a replacement in the cost. Batteries like to be used, cycle times matter less if you dont charge or discharge them all the way, stay in the 20-80% charge state.

Thats the thing though, basing your expectations on the Prii's relatively ancient battery tech might be the best way to go. It's cooled by a fan of all things, and so I wouldnt expect it to be comparable to a battery that has it's own dedicated liquid/air cooling system.

PeoplesElbow

Thats the thing though, basing your expectations on the Prii's relatively ancient battery tech might be the best way to go. It's cooled by a fan of all things, and so I wouldnt expect it to be comparable to a battery that has it's own dedicated liquid/air cooling system.
My expectations are based more on chemical degradation than heat effects.

glhs837

Power with Control
My expectations are based more on chemical degradation than heat effects.

Heat doesnt help though, batteries with active heating and cooling will live longer, I'm sure. As for chemical degradation over time, I think we cant cross Priii lifespan with lithium-ion. I know that in life support equipment, LI-ION has much longer storage lifespan than NI-MH. Doesnt make much sense to say the batteries are good for 300-500 thousand miles (1,500 charge-discharge cycles) if they die for other reasons long before the average driver will get to those miles. At 15,000 miles a year, thats a 20 year lifespan for 300,000 miles.