MVA Real ID License Renewal

I tried to follow along with entries in this thread. No one has seemed to mention the probability for Identity Theft with this Real ID requirement. That seems to be a lot of identifying documentation to be turning over to an underpaid, overworked DMV employee who might succumb to the temptation to sell it. Too much info available in one place that might be hacked. Seems this is more likely to increase ID theft.

Am I being overly concerned? 'Tin foil hat on.'

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Nope .... but with any Gov db that is a risk.

however that was my reasoning for using all 'vehicle related information, beyond the SS # required ....

• Maryland vehicle registration card or title
  • Insurance card or policy

no tax returns or pay stubs or any of the rest of it

black dog

Free America
PREMO Member
I tried to follow along with entries in this thread. No one has seemed to mention the probability for Identity Theft with this Real ID requirement. That seems to be a lot of identifying documentation to be turning over to an underpaid, overworked DMV employee who might succumb to the temptation to sell it. Too much info available in one place that might be hacked. Seems this is more likely to increase ID theft.

What Branch of MD MVA does that happen at?

I dunno... are they all overpaid? Does that guarantee they won't succumb?
No different than targeting military or contractor employees, you know, the training we all got every year? Subversives look for people with monetary problems, home issues, known grief with an employer..... and offer them money to sell out. Some do sell out.

awpitt

Main Streeter

You're being overly concerned. When I went to the MVA, the employee just scanned my docs into system and gave them back to me. Very simple.

No different than targeting military or contractor employees, you know, the training we all got every year? Subversives look for people with monetary problems, home issues, known grief with an employer..... and offer them money to sell out. Some do sell out.
Retired for a while. Missed that training. Military and contractors are a smaller segment of the population that the entire general population. Punching another hole (bigger) in the bucket is just increasing the leak. You're making my point.

Retired for a while. Missed that training. Military and contractors are a smaller segment of the population that the entire general population. Punching another hole (bigger) in the bucket is just increasing the leak. You're making my point.
And I'm agreeing with you.

You're being overly concerned. When I went to the MVA, the employee just scanned my docs into system and gave them back to me. Very simple.
I'm not just talking the clerk who took your information. It goes up or down the line and may be available to any DMV employee with a computer.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I'm not just talking the clerk who took your information. It goes up or down the line and may be available to any DMV employee with a computer.
Well, if they want to steal my SMECO info and pay my bill, I won't complain. Md MVA has had my SSN since 1982.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I think it's utterly ridiculous the amount of personally identifiable information the MVA collects.
This is the same agency, if not the same office that had an employee issuing licenses to illegals.
Just why are citizens required to go through this paperwork drill when the ****ing state is a sanctuary state and therefore doesn't support the DHS and INS in enforcing immigration laws.
But I bet they will find a convenient excuse to print a license / ID for a non-citizen because it's safer...
Hopefully they use your SSN

Frankly, when I started working your SSN was for federal tax purpose (social security) only.
I was not suppose to be a federal / nationwide identification number.
Now every mother and their uncle demands to see not just the number, but the card.
Like really, I can print them up a dime a dozen.

glhs837

Power with Control
...who uses the name of their cat as a password.
Wait, was I not supposed to do that?

What if I’m homeless, no mail with an address on it - can I get a license?
Hows your immigration status looking, Pedro? Think they even set up an express lane, since you wont need all that silly paperwork citizens do :) But I cant be sure becuase I dont read Spanish

BernieP

Resident PIA
My guess is because MD issues driver licenses to non-citizens, particularly those without legal immigration status, WE have to provide additional paperwork to prove what they should have already known.

Here's my take on this, MD style. You can get a valid driver's license and register to vote (motor voter) without proof of citizenship or even legal immigration status. You can then go to the polls and vote, because after all, immigration law isn't a Maryland problem and we certainly can't ask at the polls for identification or proof of citizenship.

The freaking inmates have been running the asylum.

littlelady

God bless the USA
My guess is because MD issues driver licenses to non-citizens, particularly those without legal immigration status, WE have to provide additional paperwork to prove what they should have already known.

Here's my take on this, MD style. You can get a valid driver's license and register to vote (motor voter) without proof of citizenship or even legal immigration status. You can then go to the polls and vote, because after all, immigration law isn't a Maryland problem and we certainly can't ask at the polls for identification or proof of citizenship.

The freaking inmates have been running the asylum.
Agree, and have thought the same for a while now.