MVA Real ID License Renewal

awpitt

Main Streeter
Weird, mine got recalled a month ago but no news story. I did get a new email today saying the same thing, that it has been recalled.

The news story I posted covers your license. There was a group of licensees who had until June to bring their documents to the MVA. That deadline was extended to July. So now, the people who didn't meet the deadline are having their licenses recalled. The next group of people have until November 5th to bring their documents to the MVA. I was part of the Nov 5th group but I took care of everything last month so I'm good to go. I was in and out of the MVA in 13 minutes.

Bottom line, if you haven't already, make an appointment with the MVA and get your stuff squared away.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
The news story I posted covers your license. There was a group of licensees who had until June to bring their documents to the MVA. That deadline was extended to July. So now, the people who didn't meet the deadline are having their licenses recalled. The next group of people have until November 5th to bring their documents to the MVA. I was part of the Nov 5th group but I took care of everything last month so I'm good to go. I was in and out of the MVA in 13 minutes.

Bottom line, if you haven't already, make an appointment with the MVA and get your stuff squared away.
We have until December but decided to get it done ASAP because we figured others would wait until closer to the deadline.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Nothing to see here

JUDICIAL WATCH VICTORY: FEDERAL COURT ORDERS MARYLAND TO PRODUCE VOTER REGISTRATION LIST DATA TO JUDICIAL WATCH

Judicial Watch had sought the Maryland voter list data after discovering that there were more registered voters in Montgomery County than citizens over the age of 18 who could register. U.S. District Court Judge Ellen Lipton Hollander rejected Maryland’s objections to providing the voter list information under Section 8(i) of the National Voter Registration Act:

The dispute over the voter registration list arose from an April 11, 2017, notice letter sent to Maryland election officials, in which Judicial Watch explained Montgomery County had an impossibly high registration rate. The letter threatened a lawsuit if the problems with Montgomery County’s voter rolls were not fixed. The letter also requested access to Montgomery County voter registration lists in order to evaluate the efficacy of any “programs and activities conducted for the purpose of ensuring the accuracy and currency of Maryland’s official eligible voter lists during the past 2 years.”

Democrat Maryland officials, in response, attacked and smeared Judicial Watch by suggesting it was an agent of Russia.

Wonder how that motor voter law is working out, got a state ID from MVA, good to go.

Tech

Nothing to see here

JUDICIAL WATCH VICTORY: FEDERAL COURT ORDERS MARYLAND TO PRODUCE VOTER REGISTRATION LIST DATA TO JUDICIAL WATCH

Wonder how that motor voter law is working out, got a state ID from MVA, good to go.
By linking a DL to voting is good, you have to show proof who you are and where you live. Now just link the pollbooks when you check in to vote to the DL for the photo.

Of course the left considers purging people from voter rolls when they appear on the SSDI as voter suppresion.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Do they compensate you for the time off from work and the gas to drive up to freaking Loveville?

No. It's not their responsibility. If you want to blame anyone, blame the Trump Administration. They're the one who changed the requirements last year. They're the reason Maryland, and other states, are having to recall licenses.

MiddleGround

No. It's not their responsibility. If you want to blame anyone, blame the Trump Administration. They're the one who changed the requirements last year. They're the reason Maryland, and other states, are having to recall licenses.

Wasn't this signed into law back in 2008 at the end of Bush's term? Isn't THAT where this all began? Swore I read that somewhere.

And... it's not their job to do their job correctly?

awpitt

Main Streeter
Wasn't this signed into law back in 2008 at the end of Bush's term? Isn't THAT where this all began? Swore I read that somewhere.

And... it's not their job to do their job correctly?

Yes. It was one of the results after 9-11. That being Real ID. And Maryland was one of the first states to redo their licences. However, last year, the Trump Administration changed the requirements which is why Maryland is now having to get people to come back to the MVA with the newly required documents.

BernieP

Resident PIA
By linking a DL to voting is good, you have to show proof who you are and where you live. Now just link the pollbooks when you check in to vote to the DL for the photo.

Of course the left considers purging people from voter rolls when they appear on the SSDI as voter suppresion.
Not if they issue license to non-citizens. Besides, I don't think they can ask for ID when you go to the poll, just name.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Not if they issue license to non-citizens. Besides, I don't think they can ask for ID when you go to the poll, just name.

They could always add a voter registration designation on the license. Something a non-citizen wouldn't be able to get. They've already done that for Veterans. I showed my DD-214 at the MVA and now my license shows that I'm a Veteran.

Tech

They could always add a voter registration designation on the license. Something a non-citizen wouldn't be able to get. They've already done that for Veterans. I showed my DD-214 at the MVA and now my license shows that I'm a Veteran.
Or even simpler, can't prove you're a citizen upon application, ALIEN stamped across it. Can't prove you're here legally, one not issued.

catlingirl

Stupid question but do we have to pay to show our documents and to add a Veteran designation to our drivers license, if it’s already been renewed recently. And can a person be fined if license is suspended for not bringing in documents? Thanks

awpitt

Main Streeter
Stupid question but do we have to pay to show our documents and to add a Veteran designation to our drivers license, if it’s already been renewed recently. And can a person be fined if license is suspended for not bringing in documents? Thanks

I didn't have to pay to show documents. Still have my same license. They just update the database for the Feds. If they confiscate your license, you'll get a receipt you can use to drive in order to go to MVA. The license will not be suspended. If you want the Veteran designator added to your license, there will be a cost for getting a replacement license.

catlingirl

I didn't have to pay to show documents. Still have my same license. They just update the database for the Feds. If they confiscate your license, you'll get a receipt you can use to drive in order to go to MVA. The license will not be suspended. If you want the Veteran designator added to your license, there will be a cost for getting a replacement license.
Thank you

frequentflier

happy to be living
Heading there tomorrow. With an appointment and every piece of documentation I can think of, I hope to be in and out quickly and hassle free!

Cruiserchick

I received my notice to update my paperwork by 2/20/20. No rush needed for an appointment. The requirements are self explanatory in the letter. I know of no other state having to reissue the REALID license. As usual, Maryland misinterpreting the 2008 regulations for the ID. Guess we need someone in state government who can read and understand.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I received my notice to update my paperwork by 2/20/20. No rush needed for an appointment. The requirements are self explanatory in the letter. I know of no other state having to reissue the REALID license. As usual, Maryland misinterpreting the 2008 regulations for the ID. Guess we need someone in state government who can read and understand.

Actually, it's not the state's fault. When Real ID was first passed, Maryland was one of the first states to comply. Maryland has been Real ID compliant since 2011. The problem now is that the Trump administration changed the Real ID requirements last year. So, now, the MVA is having to get people to come in with their documents in order to be in compliance with the NEW requirements. Maryland is not "reissuing" licenses that already have a Star. The are only adding the new documents to the database for the Feds.

Maryland's actions have resulted in Maryland being the first state to be in compliance with the new requirements.

Federal review is part of REAL ID process; Maryland recognition is first in nation

Glen Burnie, Md. (August 8, 2019) – The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has given the Maryland Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Administration (MDOT MVA) its stamp of approval for its compliance with federal REAL ID requirements. The agency on Wednesday recertified MDOT MVA’s REAL ID process, making Maryland the first state to achieve that designation.

The recertification affirms that Maryland has all documentation and security procedures in place that are required to make the state’s REAL ID driver’s licenses and identification cards compliant with federal law. In 2011, Maryland became one of the first states in the nation to have its REAL ID process certified. The REAL ID Act requires all states to recertify periodically, on a timetable determined by DHS.

“With about 14 months to go until the October 1, 2020, deadline for REAL ID, more than half of Marylanders are REAL ID compliant,” said MDOT MVA Administrator Chrissy Nizer. “I want to thank our customers for taking the time to collect their documents and come to our branches. With this recertification, Marylanders can feel confident their REAL ID driver’s license or identification card is one of the most secure in the country.”

The REAL ID Act was passed by Congress after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, and creates standards for secure driver’s licenses and identification cards nationwide. By the October 2020 deadline, all Marylanders must have documents on file and be REAL ID compliant to use a state-issued driver’s license or identification card to board an airplane or enter federal government facilities. Documents required include: a birth certificate or passport, proof of social security and two documents proving Maryland residence.

Since launching its REAL ID process, MDOT MVA has expanded its appointment schedule, and now has more than 4,000 appointments available every day. In addition, the agency has extended hours on Thursdays statewide, and opened annex offices in Parkville and Columbia to help accommodate REAL ID customers.

“This recertification acknowledges all the hard work our MDOT MVA team has done to make it easier for customers to comply with REAL ID,” said Administrator Nizer.

MDOT MVA launched a secure online REAL ID Look Up tool, at realid.mva.maryland.gov, that allows customers to determine if they are REAL ID compliant or if action is needed. Customers can also access the Online Document Guide and make an appointment. Those with appointments are guaranteed to be seen within 15 minutes of their scheduled time. MDOT MVA has also expanded its social media and outreach efforts. REAL ID Ambassadors have attended 81 community events across the state since April to help educate Marylanders. Check out the outreach calendar to see when representatives will be at upcoming events.