MVA Real ID License Renewal

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I'm confused. I married in 1995 and legally changed to my married name. I divorced in 2006 and kept my married name. I have a valid passport. Do I still have to provide and marriage and divorce certificates? My drivers license doesn't expire until January 2020. Do I have to renew early?

Also, where is this star that is being spoken of. I don't see one on my license.

uh oh. Does that mean I can't get my license or that I can't get a compliant license? It's $79.00 *ucking dollars to get document quickly.
I wasn't implying yours won't be accepted. Go in and try. Maybe between that and the other forms of ID you have, they'll accept it.

I'm confused. I married in 1995 and legally changed to my married name. I divorced in 2006 and kept my married name. I have a valid passport. Do I still have to provide and marriage and divorce certificates? My drivers license doesn't expire until January 2020. Do I have to renew early?
You can go to the MVA link, enter your driver's license number and they will tell you if you are compliant. If not, they tell you what papers you need to provide to them to become compliant.

If not compliant by 2020, a driver's license though not expired, cannot be used as federal id.

Also, where is this star that is being spoken of. I don't see one on my license.
Follow the link provided, and it outlines exactly whats needed in your case. If you don't have a star, you are not compliant.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
You can go to the MVA link, enter your driver's license number and they will tell you if you are compliant. If not, they tell you what papers you need to provide to them to become compliant.

If not compliant by 2020, a driver's license though not expired, cannot be used as federal id.
I'm already looking at that. I don't understand. :bawl:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
First things first, did it say you were compliant?
Answer:
Although it’s not time yet for you to renew, documents will be needed for your next Maryland Driver's License or ID card renewal. If you would like to present documents early and obtain the Secure Maryland Driver’s License or ID card, please CLICK HERE to begin gathering your documents and to schedule an appointment at a MDOT MVA branch office. To obtain a duplicate or corrected Maryland Driver's License or ID card you will need to present documents. A $20 fee will apply.

*Commercial Driver's License Holders- please visit a MDOT MVA branch office.

I'll assume that's a no.

Answer:
Although it’s not time yet for you to renew, documents will be needed for your next Maryland Driver's License or ID card renewal. If you would like to present documents early and obtain the Secure Maryland Driver’s License or ID card, please CLICK HERE to begin gathering your documents and to schedule an appointment at a MDOT MVA branch office. To obtain a duplicate or corrected Maryland Driver's License or ID card you will need to present documents. A $20 fee will apply.

*Commercial Driver's License Holders- please visit a MDOT MVA branch office.

I'll assume that's a no.
You are not compliant.

SailorGirl

So what does this mean?

Current Maryland driver's license or identification card holders who do not have a verified US Social Security number and have maintained a valid license or ID card that has not expired for more than one year, are eligible to renew, but their new license or ID card will be federally non-compliant.

As it says: you can renew to get a new license when yours expires, but if you don't have proof of SS # (original card) your new license will not have a star and will not be federally compliant, but is OK to drive with.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
As it says: you can renew to get a new license when yours expires, but if you don't have proof of SS # (original card) your new license will not have a star and will not be federally compliant, but is OK to drive with.
So now I need to locate or obtain my SS card? Why won't my passport cover all of this?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
So what does this mean?

Current Maryland driver's license or identification card holders who do not have a verified US Social Security number and have maintained a valid license or ID card that has not expired for more than one year, are eligible to renew, but their new license or ID card will be federally non-compliant.

You could go to the mva website and follow the convenient checklist that is provided. It me a total of 2 minutes to assemble a printable form to help gather the required documents.

SailorGirl

Maybe I'm reading into this too much. I have my original social security card with my married name on it. What I'm getting out of it is that because I do have a verified social security number that I am not eligible to renew my license on a non compliant status just in case they do not accept my original marriage certificate and let me get the compliant one.

Maybe I'm reading into this too much. I have my original social security card with my married name on it. What I'm getting out of it is that because I do have a verified social security number that I am not eligible to renew my license on a non compliant status just in case they do not accept my original marriage certificate and let me get the compliant one.
Probably overthinking it. Go in with more than you need. SScard, marriage certificate, W2, vehicle title (if in your name), etc. Go down the checklist and grab as many documents as you can to prove you're who you are.

SailorGirl

You could go to the mva website and follow the convenient checklist that is provided. It me a total of 2 minutes to assemble a printable form to help gather the required documents.
I've actually already done that - it's the marriage certificate that's flipping me out because it's original and not something I requested from the government even though it was issued by the court of Baltimore and the gold seal says so. It's also a 60 mile round trip for me which I know isn't much. BUT... my engine light came on last week and although I got the repairs done, the very reputable people that I took it to told me that the engine light will come on again and they should be able to condemn the number one coil at that point and pinpoint what will fix it for good. It's a little nerve wracking driving that far from home knowing that the light can come on at any minute.

SailorGirl

Probably overthinking it. Go in with more than you need. SScard, marriage certificate, W2, vehicle title (if in your name), etc. Go down the checklist and grab as many documents as you can to prove you're who you are.
I have 18 documents ready to go tomorrow. Maybe they'll just be happy to get me out of there once I start dazzling them with the overload.