MVA Real ID License Renewal

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
First things first, did it say you were compliant?

Answer:
Although it’s not time yet for you to renew, documents will be needed for your next Maryland Driver's License or ID card renewal. If you would like to present documents early and obtain the Secure Maryland Driver’s License or ID card, please CLICK HERE to begin gathering your documents and to schedule an appointment at a MDOT MVA branch office. To obtain a duplicate or corrected Maryland Driver's License or ID card you will need to present documents. A $20 fee will apply.

*Commercial Driver's License Holders- please visit a MDOT MVA branch office.

I'll assume that's a no.

Answer:
Although it’s not time yet for you to renew, documents will be needed for your next Maryland Driver's License or ID card renewal. If you would like to present documents early and obtain the Secure Maryland Driver’s License or ID card, please CLICK HERE to begin gathering your documents and to schedule an appointment at a MDOT MVA branch office. To obtain a duplicate or corrected Maryland Driver's License or ID card you will need to present documents. A $20 fee will apply.

*Commercial Driver's License Holders- please visit a MDOT MVA branch office.

I'll assume that's a no.
You are not compliant.

As it says: you can renew to get a new license when yours expires, but if you don't have proof of SS # (original card) your new license will not have a star and will not be federally compliant, but is OK to drive with.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
As it says: you can renew to get a new license when yours expires, but if you don't have proof of SS # (original card) your new license will not have a star and will not be federally compliant, but is OK to drive with.
So now I need to locate or obtain my SS card? Why won't my passport cover all of this?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
So what does this mean?

Current Maryland driver's license or identification card holders who do not have a verified US Social Security number and have maintained a valid license or ID card that has not expired for more than one year, are eligible to renew, but their new license or ID card will be federally non-compliant.

You could go to the mva website and follow the convenient checklist that is provided. It me a total of 2 minutes to assemble a printable form to help gather the required documents.

Maybe I'm reading into this too much. I have my original social security card with my married name on it. What I'm getting out of it is that because I do have a verified social security number that I am not eligible to renew my license on a non compliant status just in case they do not accept my original marriage certificate and let me get the compliant one.
Probably overthinking it. Go in with more than you need. SScard, marriage certificate, W2, vehicle title (if in your name), etc. Go down the checklist and grab as many documents as you can to prove you're who you are.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Hang on... what's all this about appointments? My license expires in April, and nothing in the material I received from MVA says anything about making an appointment.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Enforcement of the REAL ID Act at the card level begins on October 1, 2020
Yes, I saw that date, thanks.

So this was passed in 2001 and given 19 years to implement!?! WTF?

The REAL ID Act is a federal law passed by Congress after Sept. 11, 2001, that establishes specific minimum federal standards for state-issued driver's licenses and ID cards to be accepted for certain federal purposes, like entering a federal building or boarding a domestic commercial flight. Enforcement of the REAL ID Act at the card level begins on October 1, 2020. Maryland has been Real ID compliant since 2011.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I'm screwed. It doesn't sound like they're going to accept my original marriage certificate.
You are making an assumption based on one person's experience, which could probably be compounded by the MVA employee's ignorance. Instead trying to get your answers from here, (that you are constant questioning), why not call the MVA and ask them directly?

So I'm back to square one - I wonder if they can renew my drivers license and make it non compliant until I can provide all the required documentation.
I haven't read anything that says they won't renew a license. From your own comment above about not having an SS#, the license can be renewed but will be non-compliant.

mitzi

I have to get my license renewed regardless and the impression I got was that if I don't bring all those documents with me they won't renew it. I'm hoping they accept everything because I have one that might be questionable and I DON'T want to pay $79.00 to get something that will please DMV. It says on their website that they need a government issued (or words to that effect) marriage certificate because the name is different than my birth certificate. To the best of my knowledge, my marriage certificate is an original. It's got a gold seal on it and you can just barely make out Circuit Court of Baltimore City imprinted on it. It's not the normal seal that you get when you ask for a copy - you know the raised imprint. On everything else that I've read they said original or certified copy like birth certificate, on the marriage certificate the site states government issued marriage certificate unless the Baltimore City imprint is government issued? Wish I knew for sure before I go tomorrow.

I dread when I renew in 2 years. I'm going to have to pay for a valid birth certificate because the one I've used my entire life is not what is required now by MVA and I'm going to have to pay for my marriage license that has been lost for over 25 years even though I'm divorced (but never took my maiden name back).