MVA Real ID License Renewal

glhs837

Power with Control
Hang on... what's all this about appointments? My license expires in April, and nothing in the material I received from MVA says anything about making an appointment.

So I went to the website and entered in my number, said I wasnt compliant. Let me run through a documents list where i could check off the ones I knew I had in each category, print out a checklist so I can remember which ones I had selected and check them off before I leave. Then it let me select my MVA location and set an appointment, and then print off a reminder card. Of course, "Display documents" might have more chances than "Renew license". Offered me I think the 22nd, but I didnt want that, selected the 1st of May and it offered me one 30 minute block.

mitzi

I've actually already done that - it's the marriage certificate that's flipping me out because it's original and not something I requested from the government even though it was issued by the court of Baltimore and the gold seal says so. It's also a 60 mile round trip for me which I know isn't much. BUT... my engine light came on last week and although I got the repairs done, the very reputable people that I took it to told me that the engine light will come on again and they should be able to condemn the number one coil at that point and pinpoint what will fix it for good. It's a little nerve wracking driving that far from home knowing that the light can come on at any minute.

I'm pretty sure you can request it thru the county/city government (I can't think of the branch name) to receive it by mail. I know I'm not going to Upper Marlboro to get mine if there's any way I can avoid it.

mitzi

Yes, I saw that date, thanks.

So this was passed in 2001 and given 19 years to implement!?! WTF?

I thought the exact same thing. I first heard of this a long time ago, but I've thought (until recently) it was only for new licenses. Not for people that have had licenses and been showing birth certificates for over 40 years. Just more BS and red tape for everyone.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Went to the website, my DL was issued in December 2013...expires March 2022.

Is my Driver's License or ID Card affected by the federal Real ID Act?

Answer: No. Documents will not be needed for your next Maryland Driver's License or ID card transaction. If you would like to obtain the new Secure Maryland Driver's License or ID Card you may apply online for a duplicate at the MDOT MVA eStore for $20.

Appears that, as with any large size program, it works, sometimes.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I thought the exact same thing. I first heard of this a long time ago, but I've thought (until recently) it was only for new licenses. Not for people that have had licenses and been showing birth certificates for over 40 years. Just more BS and red tape for everyone.
I don't recall hearing about it, at all.

mitzi

I have almost a year and a half before I need to renew. I'll start getting my documents about 6 months before. I'm pretty sure you can get them directly from whoever issued them. I'm going to have to contact Upper Marlboro for marriage license and D.C. for birth certificate. A friend of mine told me she got hers thru Vital Records. com but it cost more for them to process it for you. Good luck with yours. I'm usually a last minute person too. Let us know how it goes.

I needed a new birth certificate to get a passport. I got it online from here for about $70:
It was worth the cost to know I was able to get it fast and easy. No running around.

I'm pretty sure you can get them directly from whoever issued them.
Not always. I needed my birth certificate. Went back to the hospital and Town Hall in NY only to find they had a fire and all old critical records were gone. That's when I went to VitalChek.

Last edited:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I just made a VitalChek purchase to get a copy of our marriage certificate, and have used it extensively over the past 10 years to get birth and death certificates for family members as far back as my great grandparents.

Last edited:

RodRugg

After my grandma got her license took away for jumping out of a moving car, they made her take the test all over again. They gave her a new license and the only ID she had was a Social Security card and a picture of herself holding a picture of herself being born that my great grandpa took, and they didn't even use that. She even got to pick which photo they used since they took so many because they said she bit down so hard in the first few that it didn't even look human. Anyways, one ID was all it took and she drove home legally.

I wouldn't normally promote this, but there is a grace period to renew, although I'm not sure what it is without researching. My license unknowingly expired while I was in NY. It was a week before I could get back to MVA to renew, no questions asked, just a simple renew. Maybe you could get your paperwork together, then head up to MVA post-fact?

From the MVA website:
How do I renew my license if it has been expired for one (1) year or more?
To have your license reissued, you will need to pass the applicable vision screening, knowledge and driving skills road test; You may be required to present your age, identity and residency documents. Please start your application online.

So, looks lke if it's less than a year, just a renew.

Grumpy

I wouldn't normally promote this, but there is a grace period to renew, although I'm not sure what it is without researching. My license unknowingly expired while I was in NY. It was a week before I could get back to MVA to renew, no questions asked, just a simple renew.

My license was dead for 2 months without me knowing it until used it for an ID and the guy said this has been expired for 2 months. If I was notified to renew, I never saw it. Went to MVA, explained what happened and they said it happens all the time..Just paid the renewal fee and I was good to go.

stgislander

PREMO Member
So I went to the website and entered in my number, said I wasnt compliant. Let me run through a documents list where i could check off the ones I knew I had in each category, print out a checklist so I can remember which ones I had selected and check them off before I leave. Then it let me select my MVA location and set an appointment, and then print off a reminder card. Of course, "Display documents" might have more chances than "Renew license". Offered me I think the 22nd, but I didnt want that, selected the 1st of May and it offered me one 30 minute block.

I followed your recommendation including making an appointment. I tried to remember the good and bad days to go to MVA. Not sure if there is such a thing anymore so I chose Thurs the 28th. I guess having an appointment is better than just going in and waiting for your number to be called.

mitzi

So the guy at the front desk looked at my marriage certificate and said I don't think this is going to fly but they'll decide at the other desk (I assume he meant at the desk where they actually do the license). They called my number 15 minutes later, I came over and she said have a seat I'm not done with this person yet. She nodded her head at the chair in front on her and when I started to sit she snapped at me and said not there over there. I thought I'm screwed. She called me 10 minutes later and did not ever unfold my marriage certificate. Zero interest. Less than zero interest. And she was just as nice as she could be.

Strongly strongly suggest to any interested party to make an appointment. It was a zoo in there.

So you were able to renew? That's great. The MVA employees probably here more bitching about the new requirements. That's a job I wouldn't want.

mitzi

I was thank you and no one was more shocked about that than me.

I was standing right near the front desk during my wait and two women were turned away for not having that damned marriage certificate - even heard one "arguing" that she's had that married name for 31 years and no one has ever asked her to prove it before. I guess I can understand why, but it pisses me off that men don't have to prove anything - burden is on the woman. It makes a lot more sense to me now that some women don't take the guys name when they wed.

I never, ever had to show mine. So when I lost it, I didn't think it was a big deal. Now years later, we're all finding out what a pain it can be. I just hate having to spend more money to prove who I am when they've accepted who I am by my birth certificate 45 years ago. Only once did I have to prove I graduated high school for a job. Diploma was lost with the marriage certificate. So Upper Marlboro sends me a copy of a document saying I graduated and had my grades listed. Just what I wanted my new employer to see, my high school grades :sarcasm: when I was in my late thirties at the time. Glad it all worked out for you.

So the guy at the front desk looked at my marriage certificate and said I don't think this is going to fly but they'll decide at the other desk (I assume he meant at the desk where they actually do the license). They called my number 15 minutes later, I came over and she said have a seat I'm not done with this person yet. She nodded her head at the chair in front on her and when I started to sit she snapped at me and said not there over there. I thought I'm screwed. She called me 10 minutes later and did not ever unfold my marriage certificate. Zero interest. Less than zero interest. And she was just as nice as she could be.

Strongly strongly suggest to any interested party to make an appointment. It was a zoo in there.
Most excellent. :yay:

Happy this is over? :lol: