MVA Real ID License Renewal

MiddleGround

My favorite comment is the one about not being able to use your older VALID driver's license for anything but, you can use an old high school transcript for proof of residence. SMDH!!

That's probably fine as long as you have an alternate valid proof, like a passport when you need to fly or something.

I figure there's gonna be that one unexpected time I need validated proof, and I won't have my passport with me, but I'll most likely have my license. Might as well get it validated.

PeoplesElbow

FWIW you may need a Real ID compliant drivers license to apply for social security in the future. Sort of silly considering you use your social security card to get the compliant drivers license....

I would think just about any of these forms of ID are pretty easy to fake.

Ok.... here's a question: I have a star on my license, but it is not compliant. The only reason I know that is because I went to the MVA site to check it. If I, like so many others, have a star and try to use it as compliant ID, who except the MVA can check to see that it's really compliant or not? How would they know it's not unless they check somewhere? Are they going to take the time to actually do that if they see a star? Like a ticket agent at an airline.... will they actually verify the star isn't a real star?

It was 'supposed' to be for validating that you were indeed compliant, but MVA screwed up. As far as I can see, there is no way for anyone other than MVA to verify that you are or are not compliant, even if you have the star.

PeoplesElbow

It was 'supposed' to be for validating that you were indeed compliant, but MVA screwed up. As far as I can see, there is no way for anyone other than MVA to verify that you are or are not compliant, even if you have the star.
Oh great, I wonder if that means even after we go through all this crap that airlines will not want to accept a MD license to let us on aircraft.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Let me say this to anyone that needs to do anything at MVA...

MAKE AN APPOINTMENT!!!

At 9:15am, there had to be at least 25 people waiting for driver's license renewal when I checked in for my 9:30 appointment. I didn't even have a chance to find a place to wait before they called my number. I took me maybe 15 minutes to get new photo, eye test, documents scanned, and answer a few questions.

The worse part of the whole experience were all the eyes burning holes like lasers into the back of my head as sat down at the station.

seriously, where can I make the apt online? I've scoured the entire website, googled it, etc. and can only find the option to make an apt if I'm taking a DL test. I'm strictly going in for a name change/address change (already been to SS, just waiting for the card in the mail)

softtouch

I just looked at my SS card (original and old), and what I find funny is that while I was required to show it to get my DL it clearly states that it is "For Social Security and Tax Purposes - Not For Identification",. So if it isn't for ID why the Hell does it need to be shown?
One explanation:

Clem72

I just looked at my SS card (original and old), and what I find funny is that while I was required to show it to get my DL it clearly states that it is "For Social Security and Tax Purposes - Not For Identification",. So if it isn't for ID why the Hell does it need to be shown?

I think the distinction is that you didn't HAVE to show it, you were allowed to show it. Same way you can use a utility bill at the MVA to prove your identity without it also being an ID.

stgislander

PREMO Member
seriously, where can I make the apt online? I've scoured the entire website, googled it, etc. and can only find the option to make an apt if I'm taking a DL test. I'm strictly going in for a name change/address change (already been to SS, just waiting for the card in the mail)
Start here - http://license.mva.maryland.gov/CheckList/default.aspx

In the "I need..." pull down menu, select "To present REAL ID documents", answer the name change question, and press "Click to Proceed". After you "gather" all of your documents, it should allow you to make an appointment.

softtouch

My Granddaughter and her husband stopped by this morning. He in the Air Force and they came up from N.C so he could renew his drivers license before he deploys. He still has his MD tags and license. They rejected him because he needs something to prove he used to live in MD.
Something besides his license or car registration. He lived at home when he enlisted. He is going to see if he can find something there that proves he used to live there.

nutz

Being that he's still on AD, I would think a copy of his State Income Tax return would be enough to prove residency.
AH, if only you could read minds. The MVA folks seem to go out of their way to not br helpful. I received the notice to renew without the insert and showed up without documentation. BUT, I had my car registration, proof of insurance and military retiree ID (need a DD 214 for proof) nope not enough. Second trip when asked about veteran status, I said yes but cant prove it because I lack a DD214, the reply was of course we can use your ID.
The proof of insurance circle can be even more fun and exciting.