MVA Real ID License Renewal

awpitt

Main Streeter
I'm not just talking the clerk who took your information. It goes up or down the line and may be available to any DMV employee with a computer.

Well, if they want to steal my SMECO info and pay my bill, I won't complain. Md MVA has had my SSN since 1982.

BernieP

Resident PIA
You're being overly concerned. When I went to the MVA, the employee just scanned my docs into system and gave them back to me. Very simple.
I think it's utterly ridiculous the amount of personally identifiable information the MVA collects.
This is the same agency, if not the same office that had an employee issuing licenses to illegals.
Just why are citizens required to go through this paperwork drill when the ****ing state is a sanctuary state and therefore doesn't support the DHS and INS in enforcing immigration laws.
But I bet they will find a convenient excuse to print a license / ID for a non-citizen because it's safer...
Hopefully they use your SSN

Frankly, when I started working your SSN was for federal tax purpose (social security) only.
I was not suppose to be a federal / nationwide identification number.
Now every mother and their uncle demands to see not just the number, but the card.
Like really, I can print them up a dime a dozen.

glhs837

Power with Control
...who uses the name of their cat as a password.

Wait, was I not supposed to do that?

What if I’m homeless, no mail with an address on it - can I get a license?

Hows your immigration status looking, Pedro? Think they even set up an express lane, since you wont need all that silly paperwork citizens do :) But I cant be sure becuase I dont read Spanish

BernieP

Resident PIA

My guess is because MD issues driver licenses to non-citizens, particularly those without legal immigration status, WE have to provide additional paperwork to prove what they should have already known.

Here's my take on this, MD style. You can get a valid driver's license and register to vote (motor voter) without proof of citizenship or even legal immigration status. You can then go to the polls and vote, because after all, immigration law isn't a Maryland problem and we certainly can't ask at the polls for identification or proof of citizenship.

The freaking inmates have been running the asylum.

littlelady

God bless the USA
My guess is because MD issues driver licenses to non-citizens, particularly those without legal immigration status, WE have to provide additional paperwork to prove what they should have already known.

Here's my take on this, MD style. You can get a valid driver's license and register to vote (motor voter) without proof of citizenship or even legal immigration status. You can then go to the polls and vote, because after all, immigration law isn't a Maryland problem and we certainly can't ask at the polls for identification or proof of citizenship.

The freaking inmates have been running the asylum.

Agree, and have thought the same for a while now.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I haven't read all the responses so sorry if it's already been answered but is getting a Real ID mandatory?

hitchicken

I haven't read all the responses so sorry if it's already been answered but is getting a Real ID mandatory?
The short answer is 'yes'. There are exceptions too numerous to list here. You should go to the source: The DHS. Link below:

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id

There is also a legit DHS Real ID website for MD that allows you to check by your driver's license number, but I'm not sure about that.

I realize you're very busy, but... you really should Google it and check your individual situation yourself. You should also read the entries in this thread because they are entertaining, informative and often factual.

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA
Agree, and have thought the same for a while now.
From the DHS website
Q: How does REAL ID implementation impact states that provide driver's licenses and IDs to certain non-citizens/undocumented immigrants?
REAL ID allows compliant states to issue driver's licenses and identification cards where the identity of the applicant cannot be assured or for whom lawful presence is not determined. In fact, some states currently issue such noncompliant cards to undocumented individuals. These cards must clearly state on their face (and in the machine readable zone) that it is not acceptable for official purposes and must use a unique design or color to differentiate them from compliant cards. DHS cautions against assuming that possession of a noncompliant card indicates the holder is an undocumented individual, given that several states issue noncompliant licenses for reasons unrelated to lawful presence.
So the real ID push in MD, and the reason for forcing you to renew 4 years early is so they can kisss Casa Maryland ass.

awpitt

Main Streeter

The additional documentation requirement is a result of new requirements set by the Feds in late 2018. That's why a lot of us who thought we had Real ID (the Star) ended up going back to the MVA to provide the aditional documentation that's required by the Feds.

Undocumented immigrants cannot get a Real ID compliant driver's license nor register to vote (motor voter) in Maryland.

BernieP

Resident PIA
The additional documentation requirement is a result of new requirements set by the Feds in late 2018. That's why a lot of us who thought we had Real ID (the Star) ended up going back to the MVA to provide the aditional documentation that's required by the Feds.

Undocumented immigrants cannot get a Real ID compliant driver's license nor register to vote (motor voter) in Maryland.
I said, "get a valid driver's license". If they have a valid drivers license, what's stopping them from registering to vote?
MVA might not register them, but when the "parties" run voter registration drives, if they have a license someone might sign them up.
Once the paperwork is in do you think the people doing verification are going to actually check MVA records to see what restrictions are there.

officeguy

Went on Tue and had the new DL in the mail on Friday. With all the complaining about the MVA, this was actually a reasonable experience.

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron

wubbles

Weird, mine got recalled a month ago but no news story. I did get a new email today saying the same thing, that it has been recalled.