My blind boxer girl

KDENISE977

Ughhh... :mad: new problems have surfaced. :mad:

She's on a very low dose of prednisone now, .5 once a day. This is the lowest dose she's been on, yet... her need to urinate is worse than ever. She actually pee'd the bed last night. I called the oncologist and they suggested it's a UTI. So...now I'm trying to figure out how the hell to get a urine sample, from a blind dog to get it to PFAH so they can test it. :bawl: None of it makes sense, she can go all day while we're at work 6 a.m.-5 p.m. and have NO accidents, but overnight she needs to go out 3+ times. To me that doesn't sound like a UTI, why wouldn't she need to pee during the day and have accidents then?? :confused: :shrug:

Roman

If you can't get the sample, take her to PFAH, and they might be able to cath her for one. Reconsider the diapers KD. It's not like she will stew for hours in them.

KDENISE977

Spoke to Pets With Disabilities and called the vet office. Apparently she may have whats called Circadian Rhythm Disorder, not a UTI. Its where total blindness is preventing her from being able to tell day from night. Certain things trigger her to know day from night such as warmth from sunlight or patterns developed before sleep. For instance, we run a box fan all night long, which could be her trigger to know it's bed time. Lately, to keep her cool during the day we've been having the fan on during the day. This could be the confusion and we just need to try and keep everything as far as bedtime/awake time in a pattern. I've been drawing the blinds because it's been so hot which is could also be why she's not sensing heat from the sun and sleeping during the day and then up at night, because she's had her sleep. Makes sense to me. We are just going to try and correct these things or the vet said even maybe a mild sedative to get her back on track with her sleep patterns. :yay: it's worth a shot. Her having to go out only after 3:00 a.m. all starts to make sense. She's waking every night at 2-3:00 a.m. and wide awake.

luvmygdaughters

Spoke to Pets With Disabilities and called the vet office. Apparently she may have whats called Circadian Rhythm Disorder, not a UTI. Its where total blindness is preventing her from being able to tell day from night. Certain things trigger her to know day from night such as warmth from sunlight or patterns developed before sleep. For instance, we run a box fan all night long, which could be her trigger to know it's bed time. Lately, to keep her cool during the day we've been having the fan on during the day. This could be the confusion and we just need to try and keep everything as far as bedtime/awake time in a pattern. I've been drawing the blinds because it's been so hot which is could also be why she's not sensing heat from the sun and sleeping during the day and then up at night, because she's had her sleep. Makes sense to me. We are just going to try and correct these things or the vet said even maybe a mild sedative to get her back on track with her sleep patterns. :yay: it's worth a shot. Her having to go out only after 3:00 a.m. all starts to make sense. She's waking every night at 2-3:00 a.m. and wide awake.

Wow, I've heard of this in blind people, but never considered it something a dog would have. Makes perfect sense though. Hopefully you can get the situation straightened out for yours and Molly's rest. Good Luck, let us know how it goes.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out

sounds about right! :yay:

KDENISE977

They have different strengths. I think it's one, to 3 mg. Good luck. I think with blind people this is called Non-24. Molly is so lucky to have you guys.

Awe, thanks. I just want to get her happy. She is loving the new deck we built, it's 800 sq. feet and she's so happy out there, we've been leaving her and Remi out there each afternoon when it's not too hot.

KDENISE977

OMG. I'm not a religious person, but I swear to you I just rolled over and looked at the clock, and heard the Hallelujah Chorus....it was 6:30 and that dog slept ALL NIGHT LONG!!!!!!

Roman

OMG. I'm not a religious person, but I swear to you I just rolled over and looked at the clock, and heard the Hallelujah Chorus....it was 6:30 and that dog slept ALL NIGHT LONG!!!!!!
Had you given her the Melatonin, or was it just a nice little reprieve?

KDENISE977

WOW!! Hope this is the start of something good.

She actually slept good all weekend. Trying to make sure she has enough outside time to start to realize the sunlight or warmth is what is daytime. Been in touch with the lady from Pets With Disabilities and waiting for a call back. She def. needs something to do to release some energy. Shes' getting very restless.

Roman

She actually slept good all weekend. Trying to make sure she has enough outside time to start to realize the sunlight or warmth is what is daytime. Been in touch with the lady from Pets With Disabilities and waiting for a call back. She def. needs something to do to release some energy. Shes' getting very restless.
Glad to hear that she's sleeping nicely! Can you tether her to the other boxer? This might help her to feel more secure when she is outside Keeping an eye on them of course, and just doing it for short stints. Joyce Darnell is wonderful, and very good with the disabled pets. Sometimes, she's hard to get a hold of (very busy).

KDENISE977

Glad to hear that she's sleeping nicely! Can you tether her to the other boxer? This might help her to feel more secure when she is outside Keeping an eye on them of course, and just doing it for short stints. Joyce Darnell is wonderful, and very good with the disabled pets. Sometimes, she's hard to get a hold of (very busy).

Yes. I thought about leashing them together but wanted to consult Joyce first . I've left her v/m but luckily I have a coworker who's very familiar with the whole thing.

KDENISE977

Any new news on Molly? Also wondering if you got in touch with Joyce.

Molly is learning the house nicely :yay: We also have been putting she and Remi out on the deck each night. Remi doesn't seem to want to be running around without her. I give her the melatonin at night and it seems to be working good. She gets up about once a night and I have to put her out. I can live with that :lol:

I called and left Joyce a v/m but haven't heard back.

Roman

Keep calling ad leaving VMs to her. It's nice to hear she's doing well.
Molly is learning the house nicely :yay: We also have been putting she and Remi out on the deck each night. Remi doesn't seem to want to be running around without her. I give her the melatonin at night and it seems to be working good. She gets up about once a night and I have to put her out. I can live with that :lol:

I called and left Joyce a v/m but haven't heard back.

KDENISE977

My current :yay:

Attachments

• image-4114517429.jpg
    image-4114517429.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 240