My blind boxer girl

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I'm not giving up yet... I'm also not saying we'll do the radiation if they say it'll only give her a year or 18 months. There is a point where spending THAT much money with no guarantees or even solid answers promised. We'll meet with the oncologist, and then the neurologist wants to see us after THAT for another MRI to measure if the tumor grew and what it's growth rate is. Who has this kind of money???? the radiation is between $5k and $8k and each MRI is $1,200 and I still don't know how much the oncologist appointment will be WITHOUT factoring in the radiation? WHO pays for this stuff, how are they in business???

I agree about the cost vs amount of time it gives you with the pet. My dog was only 5 when we discovered she had bone cancer in her leg. Well over 100 lbs dog so amputating the leg was not an option. She was just too large to be able to operate on 3 legs for very long. They said we could do radiation/chemo for about $5000.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
KDenise, I'm so sorry. :huggy: I do know you also have to consider her quality of life for the time she has left. Do you want to prolong her life for such a short time when she'd be sick from the treatment? I can't advise you, other than to say - take a dog day - and do things she likes and give her treats and take lots of pictures.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
KDenise, I'm so sorry. :huggy: I do know you also have to consider her quality of life for the time she has left. Do you want to prolong her life for such a short time when she'd be sick from the treatment? I can't advise you, other than to say - take a dog day - and do things she likes and give her treats and take lots of pictures.

This. When my boxer was diagnosed with cancer, I chose not to investigate it any further. I didn't want him to be sick, taking multiple trips to the vet, needles, etc. I also was not comfortable spending thousands of dollars "just to know." He lived 3 years before the seizures started and that's when I made the decision to humanely end his pain. May will be a year and I think about him EVERY DAY.

I think boxers are one of the "heartbreak breeds." But they are such special, loving, silly, slobbery pups.

I know this is not easy and wish you the best!

KDENISE977

This. When my boxer was diagnosed with cancer, I chose not to investigate it any further. I didn't want him to be sick, taking multiple trips to the vet, needles, etc. I also was not comfortable spending thousands of dollars "just to know." He lived 3 years before the seizures started and that's when I made the decision to humanely end his pain. May will be a year and I think about him EVERY DAY.

I think boxers are one of the "heartbreak breeds." But they are such special, loving, silly, slobbery pups.

I know this is not easy and wish you the best!

When my last boxer was diagnosed with cancer, she was 8 and became paralyzed from the neck down, that was an easy decision. That was 4 years ago and when we got Molly. That decision was not hard, it just was horrible for her do go in a way where she was so scared. This one...not so easy. She's much younger and the vet's are not as clear on what to do.

KDENISE977

Assessment:
1. MRI shows a brain tumor that is most likely a type of cancer called meningioma. A biopsy would be needed to
confirm the diagnosis, but is not safely able to be done. A spinal tap may be able to diagnose lymphoma, which is
one of the lesser possibilities of tumor type. A spinal tap would likely be nondiagnostic for other tumor types.
2. The tumor is damaging the optic nerves as the cause of blindness and dilated pupils.
3. The MRI is convincing for a tumor. I am surprised as Molly is only 4.5 years old.4. I naturally wonder if her episodes of staring out are caused by this mass as well. I think it makes sense, except
that means she had a brain tumor starting at 2.5 years of age, which seems both extremely young, and extremely
slow growing. Though young dogs sometimes do get cancer, their tumors are usually aggressive and rapidly
growing. So, the bottom line is I don't know what the cause of the episodes are.
The best treatment option for Molly is radiation. I would consider both stereotactic 5. radiation (SRT) and
conventional radiation. The best next step is to discuss radiation with a radiation oncologist. I recommend an
appointment with either Dr. Ira Gordon or Dr. Pamela White at The Oncology Service. They travel to several
locations; calling 571-209-1176 is the number to start to make an appointment.
6. Since the owners are not sure about pursuing radiation, one option they have is to repeat the MRI in a month and
pursue radiation if the tumor is rapidly growing (based on the notion that a rapidly growing tumor will be more
radiation responsive than a slow growing one). I asked the owner to ask the radiation oncologist their thoughts on
this logic and a reasonable time for repeating the MRI to determine this. As is stands, the owner is considering
repeating the MRI in a month. Two risks of waiting to radiate that we discussed are: radiation is generally more
effective during the more rapid growth phase of a smaller tumor; and that waiting may allow the tumor to
irreversibly damage a part of the brain that is currently healthy.
7. Hydroxyurea may be a good treatment option for Molly if radiation is not done. It may be effective (it's been shown
to temporarily shrink meningiomas), and is relatively safe and inexpensive. However, radiation is more effective
and lasting, and would help fight tumor types other than meningioma.
Recommendations:
1. Pursue consultation with Radiation Oncologist as described above.
2. If the plan is to repeat the MRI after a prescribed length of time, please call to schedule it.
3. If radiation will not be pursued, I would recommend starting hydroxyurea. Starting it now may cause the tumor to
shrink in a month, so if the follow up MRI is going to be used to make a decision about radiation, using hydroxyurea
may muddy the waters. Please discuss potential use of this drug with the radiation oncologist.
Follow-up and reassessment: Please call with an update after making a plan with the radiation oncologist.

luvmygdaughters

:huggy: Kdenise, I'm so sorry to hear this about your Molly. I just cant imagine what you're going thru. Prayers being sent for you and your pup.

tuffenuff2

So sorry about your dog. Have you thought about maybe starting a "gofundme" to help with the costs? I am sure a lot of the people on here would be willing to donate and every little bit helps.

Roman

Not all meningiomas are cancerous, but they do need to be addressed because they grow and can put pressure on various parts of the brain.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I am so sorry KD. :huggy:

You know what is best for you and your family, financially and emotionally.

My JRT had a tumor that the vet was almost certain was cancerous. We opted not to have surgery and brought him home. I had him for almost 2 years afterwards but his behavior changed drastically because of it and we had to make that very tough choice we knew was for the best.

mamatutu

mama to two
I am so sorry KD. :huggy:

You know what is best for you and your family, financially and emotionally.

My JRT had a tumor that the vet was almost certain was cancerous. We opted not to have surgery and brought him home. I had him for almost 2 years afterwards but his behavior changed drastically because of it and we had to make that very tough choice we knew was for the best.

I know full well how hard it is to make decisions about our best furry friends. We were faced with this last June when Sox was diagnosed with cancer in his right shoulder bone. We chose the operation and the meds which cost us 3000 dollars. It bought him 7 more months. The doc gave him a 80/90 chance. We didn't know it would be so short. We loved him so much in that short time because he was our last of the 4 pets we got when the children were little. He was completely healthy, otherwise. Us animal lovers never know what cards will be dealt. As my vet said, it was just pure bad luck. I feel so bad for KD because I know her heart is breaking. I think Roman had some good advice in her post. Hopefully, it will have a good outcome.

KDENISE977

Thank you to everyone for your kind words. I feel better when I can express my thoughts here even if it's through somewhat strangers. I can't talk openly at home because my husband is SO heartbroken he shuts down. That being said, I have contacted the oncologist facility in Springfield and they are calling me tomorrow to schedule her consultation.

All I can say is, she's not in any pain right now and that's what is the most important thing to me. She's happily asleep soundly at my feet again for now.

mamatutu

mama to two
Thank you to everyone for your kind words. I feel better when I can express my thoughts here even if it's through somewhat strangers. I can't talk openly at home because my husband is SO heartbroken he shuts down. That being said, I have contacted the oncologist facility in Springfield and they are calling me tomorrow to schedule her consultation.

All I can say is, she's not in any pain right now and that's what is the most important thing to me. She's happily asleep soundly at my feet again for now.

Just remember that members will be there for you when it comes to animals. People not so much. You are young and experiencing this all for the first time. It is hard. But we choose to bring our furry friends into our life for the joy of it all, knowing we will outlive them, God willing. The bad part sucks, but we live through it. The whole thing is the joy. Why are we so devastated when a pet dies, and try to think about when a parent/family member dies. It is all weird. I think it is because animals depend totally on us. I think about this a lot and wonder why I am so sad sometimes. I hope it all works out for you. :huggy:

Independence

I'm so sorry to hear this news. Our Indy had a mast cell tumor with lymphnode involvement at 5. We didn't have any options but we still went to see the oncologist. We saw Janet Peterson at Atlantic Veterinary Internal Medicine in Annapolis behind the mall. I really like her. She was no-nonsense and told us straight, which was hard to hear but also comforting to know we were doing all we could.http://www.avim.us/

Keeping you all in my prayers.

KDENISE977

I'm so sorry to hear this news. Our Indy had a mast cell tumor with lymphnode involvement at 5. We didn't have any options but we still went to see the oncologist. We saw Janet Peterson at Atlantic Veterinary Internal Medicine in Annapolis behind the mall. I really like her. She was no-nonsense and told us straight, which was hard to hear but also comforting to know we were doing all we could.http://www.avim.us/

Keeping you all in my prayers.

Thank you, I just made the consultation appointment for next week. The neurologist referred me to "The Oncology Service" and it's in Springfield.

KDENISE977

I'm updating my somd friends on my Molly, her oncology apt is set for Thursday. I'm not sure what "miracles" they could tell us. I think we are faced with the worst decision of when to euthanize ... If she starts having seizures we are done. We had an unfortunate incident last week and during a rapid oncoming storm she was outside on her leash and heard a REALLY loud boom /shock and now is afraid to go outside most times. I have always said as long as she's happy we would continue trying. But if she's that sad or scared what kind of life is that ? I sleep in bed with her and wake everytime she moves thinking its a seizure. I also know this is not about me but then neurologist said numerous things could happen first but seizures were likely.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I'm updating my somd friends on my Molly, her oncology apt is set for Thursday. I'm not sure what "miracles" they could tell us. I think we are faced with the worst decision of when to euthanize ... If she starts having seizures we are done. We had an unfortunate incident last week and during a rapid oncoming storm she was outside on her leash and heard a REALLY loud boom /shock and now is afraid to go outside most times. I have always said as long as she's happy we would continue trying. But if she's that sad or scared what kind of life is that ? I sleep in bed with her and wake everytime she moves thinking its a seizure. I also know this is not about me but then neurologist said numerous things could happen first but seizures were likely.

:huggy:

I'm so so sorry you all are going through this. I don't have any words of encouragement, except that you are doing all you can and then some. I'm sure Molly must sense that you all care for her and keep her safe. :huggy:

luvmygdaughters

KD, I'm so sorry. The pictures you post of your boxers are so adorable. I hope that some miracle can be done for your girl. If not, I know you will do the right thing at the right time, no matter how hard it is. T & P for you and your family including the 4 legged ones.:bawl::huggy:

KDENISE977

AND because nothing can ever go smoothly, the oncologist office just called and they can't open the file sent by the neurologist which have Molly's scans on them and "oh can you drive up to Dogs and Cats in Bowie" and get the disc for us? Oh and this also means the oncologist won't have time in advance to review the scans sooo.... :cds: