New Businesses Coming to Southern Maryland

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
New Grocery Store Signed for Shopping Center

The owners of the former Millison Plaza in Lexington Park, now known as Pax River Village Center, have confirmed that the national grocery chain — Aldi’s — has signed a contract to open a store in the to-be-revitalized shopping center.

David Ross, president of Atlantic Realty, confirmed Aldi’s has signed the lease agreement and hopes to open by the end of next year in the heart of Lexington Park.

Ross said his company plans to come before the county planning commission with a revised site plan redevelop one of the county’s oldest shopping centers by November.

“It will be fast and furious and we’re really excited,” Ross said of plans to move ahead quickly with the redevelopment.

A new building will be constructed to house the Aldi’s grocery store, Ross said, and it will front Route 235 at a foot print of 19,432 square feet.
Additionally, a Starbucks store will be incorporated into an already existing storefront to be modified with a “military theme,” Ross continued. That new Starbucks coffee house will be approximately 2,500 square feet in size, he said.

From St. Mary's County Times: https://www.facebook.com/CountyTimesStMarys

SamSpade

Well speaking of ALDI - and it’s ALDI not Aldi’s, just as ACME isn’t Acme’s - what’s going in across the street and behind the theater? They’re moving dirt around again and it looks like they intend to build something although it doesn’t look terribly big.

And I am guessing that NOTHING is being built behind Bruster’s - all summer long , nothing done.

SamSpade

Will they implement self checkout? Our other one installed it in the last two weeks.
Most stores with self checkout have an employee hovering nearby to help or keep people honest. Didn’t see that last time but I admit I wasn’t looking. I still went in the regular line because I hate weighing and pricing produce.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Most stores with self checkout have an employee hovering nearby to help or keep people honest. Didn’t see that last time but I admit I wasn’t looking. I still went in the regular line because I hate weighing and pricing produce.
I was there yesterday and didn't notice either and also went through the line.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Was just reading all the predictable "we don't need another grocery store, we need recreation places for kids" responses to the story about redeveloping a chunk of the Esperanza shopping center. Morons. This is why at least basic economics should be taught in HS.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Was just reading all the predictable "we don't need another grocery store, we need recreation places for kids" responses to the story about redeveloping a chunk of the Esperanza shopping center. Morons. This is why at least basic economics should be taught in HS.
They have recreation places for kids.

Lexington Park and Great Mills.

I read about it all the time in the crime reports.

black dog

Free America
I'm certain your still being watched. Like at Walmart's self checkouts look up and you will see the cameras.
Watch the person walking around with the handheld, they can watch you to.

black dog

Free America
A few years ago our little town built a skate park for the kids to try and keep them off the downtown streets and sidewalks. The stupid part is, its all the way on one side of town, most of the population of kids will have to travel 1/2 to 1 1/4 miles to get to it.
It sits idle most of the time. And in the middle of town we have a dog park that no one uses. Poor ****ing planning happens everywhere.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I was there yesterday and didn't notice either and also went through the line.
the cashiers aren't too thrilled about it - when they first started demoing the space I'd asked the girl at check out and she said she has a love-hate relationship for those in a place like Aldi lol. And Aldi expects the cashier ringing me out to also monitor the self check outs too or call someone up. I was there during a non-rush before lunch Friday with a semi-full cart and the poor cashier looked overwhelmed doing both jobs all morning, and he was one of their regular seasoned guys.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
the cashiers aren't too thrilled about it - when they first started demoing the space I'd asked the girl at check out and she said she has a love-hate relationship for those in a place like Aldi lol. And Aldi expects the cashier ringing me out to also monitor the self check outs too or call someone up. I was there during a non-rush before lunch Friday with a semi-full cart and the poor cashier looked overwhelmed doing both jobs all morning, and he was one of their regular seasoned guys.
I only use self-checkout when I have just a few items. Not a cartful. Their checkers are usually very quick at their job, unlike some of us might struggle with the self-checkout.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

I only use self-checkout when I have just a few items. Not a cartful. Their checkers are usually very quick at their job, unlike some of us might struggle with the self-checkout.

I never use self-checkout, even for one item. I refuse to be trained like a dog by corporations to perform tricks for them without any treats ... such as a discount for doing their job. If there are corporate savings from the incorporation self-checkouts, I damn well want those savings to appear as a discount on the self-checkout receipt.