New Businesses Coming to Southern Maryland

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
For your consideration ...

I never use self-checkout, even for one item. I refuse to be trained like a dog by corporations to perform tricks for them without any treats ... such as a discount for doing their job. If there are corporate savings from the incorporation self-checkouts, I damn well want those savings to appear as a discount on the self-checkout receipt.
Hmm, do you pump gas or only go to full service stations?

LightRoasted

If I may ...

Hmm, do you pump gas or only go to full service stations?

There's a full service gas station around these parts? And, as you know, full service gas stations charge much more per gallon to offset the costs of an attendant. Therefore, pumping one's own gas is already discounted since the price is lower than full serve. Grocery stores should follow suit. Nice try though trying to pigeon hole me.

BTW, pumping one's own gas is a far cry different from self scanning multiple items at a grocery store. Why don't they just bring back the quick checkout lanes limiting items to 10 or 12? One experienced clerk can make quick work of a line of customers in a quick checkout lane.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB

There's a full service gas station around these parts? And, as you know, full service gas stations charge much more per gallon to offset the costs of an attendant. Therefore, pumping one's own gas is already discounted since the price is lower than full serve. Grocery stores should follow suit. Nice try though trying to pigeon hole me.

BTW, pumping one's own gas is a far cry different from self scanning multiple items at a grocery store. Why don't they just bring back the quick checkout lanes limiting items to 10 or 12? One experienced clerk can make quick work of a line of customers in a quick checkout lane.
Some of it is cost. Some of it is a labor shortage. Giant and Safeway aren't what they used to be as far as making a career goes. I know several people who worked for them their entire adult lives and did the middle class thing, you could do that working for those companies at one time. Not any longer.

I've noticed at the Dunkirk Giant that there are often more "personal shoppers", who are Giant employees, than checkers/clerks. Now that may be because of when I go, early to mid-morning so I don't know what it's like on Friday night/Saturday. Sunday they're usually flush with checkers.

Ken King

PREMO Member

The point wasn't to pigeon hole you (well, maybe a little) but to show that the service sector for retail (checkout clerk like the pump attendant) is a diminishing feature of our ever evolving existence. Almost all of the pump attendants have disappeared except for NJ where pumping your own gas is against the law (at least I think it still is). I doubt if there is a full-service station anywhere in MD.

And pumping gas being a far cry different, I don't think so. I would say they are pretty much on par. And I can get through self-checkout a lot quicker then finding the one or two registers open and standing in line waiting while the majority of registers are idle.

awpitt

Main Streeter
The point wasn't to pigeon hole you (well, maybe a little) but to show that the service sector for retail (checkout clerk like the pump attendant) is a diminishing feature of our ever evolving existence. Almost all of the pump attendants have disappeared except for NJ where pumping your own gas is against the law (at least I think it still is). I doubt if there is a full-service station anywhere in MD.

And pumping gas being a far cry different, I don't think so. I would say they are pretty much on par. And I can get through self-checkout a lot quicker then finding the one or two registers open and standing in line waiting while the majority of registers are idle.
You're right about NJ, Ken. At least as of last year when we went to Atlantic City.

LightRoasted

If I may ...

But ..... If everyone were to stand against the self checkouts and wait in a line with a cashier, maybe things would revert? And maybe, if the transactions at a self check out were similar to pumping gas, it might not be so bad. Put your credit card in, scan and watch the total of goods being bought, then push a checkout button, just like when the gas nozzle is placed back in its holder, and get your receipt.

Ken King

PREMO Member
And maybe, if the transactions at a self check out were similar to pumping gas, it might not be so bad. Put your credit card in, scan and watch the total of goods being bought, then push a checkout button, just like when the gas nozzle is placed back in its holder, and get your receipt.
Not sure I'm following you. Self-checkout, for me, goes - load my cart, walk up to the open register (usually between 5 to 10 available), scan and bag my items, watching the total cost tally as I do so, insert my card or cash, get change, receipt and out the door. Is it different for you?

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

But ..... If everyone were to stand against the self checkouts and wait in a line with a cashier, maybe things would revert? And maybe, if the transactions at a self check out were similar to pumping gas, it might not be so bad. Put your credit card in, scan and watch the total of goods being bought, then push a checkout button, just like when the gas nozzle is placed back in its holder, and get your receipt.
That would work if there was a labor pool to draw from, but times being what they are it’s economically better to stay home. A single mother paying child care would have to make have to make in excess of $40K a year to break even.

mitzi

Ridgell in Mechanicsville was/is. I'm not sure now because I don't live close to them now. But they were pretty recently.

LightRoasted

If I may ...

Not sure I'm following you. Self-checkout, for me, goes - load my cart, walk up to the open register (usually between 5 to 10 available), scan and bag my items, watching the total cost tally as I do so, insert my card or cash, get change, receipt and out the door. Is it different for you?

Not different for me as I don't use self-checkout, however ..... When one pumps gas, prior to pumping, one must first insert their credit/debit card to start the pumping process. Same could apply for self-checkout for groceries. Rather than scanning everything first then paying with a card. Would make the process quicker, I think.

Ken King

PREMO Member

Not different for me as I don't use self-checkout, however ..... When one pumps gas, prior to pumping, one must first insert their credit/debit card to start the pumping process. Same could apply for self-checkout for groceries. Rather than scanning everything first then paying with a card. Would make the process quicker, I think.
How so? The card is scanned once in both processes. At the pump if you use a card you either need to enter your pin or zip code. At the checkout you do that at the end and enter the pin if you exceed a certain dollar limit on the debit card (depending on store or want cash back) and no pin or zip code required if doing a credit purchase. What makes self-checkout quicker is not having to wait in a line (most of the time).

Maybe you should try the self checkout, you might actually like it. Not to mention that the bagging process (sorting items) is all mine and I don't end up with cans or bottles mixed with crushable items.