New Businesses Coming to Southern Maryland

stgislander

PREMO Member
I seriously doubt both the Lexington Park and Callaway locations will close just because the Giant in First Colony remains open. Besides, two completely different demographics are served by Food Lion and Giant.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I seriously doubt both the Lexington Park and Callaway locations will close just because the Giant in First Colony remains open. Besides, two completely different demographics are served by Food Lion and Giant.

Well the closings have the county commissioners' attention. The three stores up for sale were Laurel Glenn, St. Mary's Square and Callaway.
Which didn't make sense. It's the newest of the stores and you would think has no close by competition like the FL in Leonardtown - which has the huge McKay's next door.
My guess is that the existing stores will be re-branded, either Food Lion or Giant, or some other name TBD.
From a logistics POV that would make sense, one truck could service all the stores, one distribution chain, not 2 or 3.
Transportation is a big part of the equation for stores in the lower ends of St. Mary's and Calvert. Trucks have a long empty run on the return trip.

Tito

Donkey Smell
Where does it say Food Lions in Southern Maryland are being sold?
You're delusional....

Here ya go JagOff

Potentially Overlapping Stores For Sale in Southern Maryland:

Food Lion

45315 Alton Lane, California
20995 Point Lookout Road, Callaway
19 St Mary’s Sqare, Lexington Park
210 Harry Truman Road, Lusby
750 Pr Frederick Blvd, Prince Frederick

Giant

7025 Berry Road, Accokeek
200 Rosewick Road, La Plata

http://smnewsnet.com/archives/401984/list-of-potential-grocery-stores-closing-in-southern-maryland/

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Here ya go JagOff

Food Lion

Giant

http://smnewsnet.com/archives/401984/list-of-potential-grocery-stores-closing-in-southern-maryland/

I think what they're actually getting at is that it's unlikely that they'll find a buyer willing to open a competing grocery store in any of these locations.

molly_21

Here ya go JagOff

Food Lion

Giant

I'm in Lusby and I was really surprised that Food Lion opened a location no more than 7 minutes from the one in Solomons. I was expecting to at least having a Safeway vs. Giant not Food Lion vs. Giant. I view Food Lion as the 7/11 of grocery stores. They seem to be on every corner. Every time I go into a Food Lion (I prefer Giant. I go to Food Lion in Solomons if I happen to be in the shopping center for something else and I don't feel like stopping again and it is usually for something basic like sour cream), they always seem to have new people all the time. Giant has the same people for years. Therefore they get to know me (plus I knew they are union. So that probably helps).

BlueSunday

They are not closing they are up for sale if the companies Food Lion and Giant can not find a buyer they stay open just as they are.

http://www.richmond.com/business/article_fe4f1722-ecc2-11e5-8492-67c27c0dd219.html

Royal Ahold and Delhaize, the parent company of Food Lion, agreed last June to combine their companies as Ahold Delhaize. Now that stockholders have signed off on the merger, the Federal Trade Commission could forbid the combined company from continuing to own all of its brands in areas where they overlap.
There are potentially 80 stores in Royal Ahold’s and Delhaize’s chains from New England to Richmond that could be on the sale list, including about 70 in the Mid-Atlantic.
Elizabeth Lordan, an FTC spokeswoman, said that the FTC doesn’t confirm or deny whether it’s investigating any proposed mergers, “so we would have no comment unless or until we file a complaint, which we have not done.”
However Supermarket News, an industry publication, said in an article Thursday that its sources expect some divestitures will be necessary to receive federal approval, particularly in areas where Ahold's Giant or Martin's brands compete with Delhaize's Food Lion banner.
These stores would have to remain open until they could be sold to another viable food operator, said Jeffrey Metzger, editor of the trade publication Food World. The requirement helps to preserve jobs and maintain diversity of choices for shoppers.

Last edited:

BlueSunday

Here ya go JagOff

Food Lion

Giant

Add in the Food Lion in Upper Marlboro on 301 across from Giant and the Food lion on rt 5 in Waldorf and add in the Giant Food store in Salisbury.

BlueSunday

I think what they're actually getting at is that it's unlikely that they'll find a buyer willing to open a competing grocery store in any of these locations.

Rumors are Harris Teeter may take the Giants but right now there are no buyers for any of the stores.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Rumors are Harris Teeter may take the Giants but right now there are no buyers for any of the stores.

I'm pretty sure that Harris Teeter is going to be the anchor store in the new (Ridiculously) placed center at the 4 and 235 intersection, so HT would not be going in First Colony to replace that Giant. If anything, (if I'm reading this stuff correctly) having an HT go into the St. Mary's Marketplace may save the Giant at FC, but I would not expect the FL in Laurel Glen to remain open.

dave1959

Where does it say Food Lions in Southern Maryland are being sold?
You're delusional....

Have you even read the article...Or any of them for that matter..???? Every article I have read says SOLD not CLOSED....

"The first round of inquiries from food retailers potentially interested in acquiring one or more of the 84 stores that Ahold USA (Martin’s, Giant/Landover, Stop & Shop) and Delhaize America (Food Lion, Hannaford) have on the selling block expired last month. On April 11, the real activity began with retailers submitting specific bids on a per-unit or bundled-store basis."

" food lion giantAn industry trade paper on Monday, April 4, 2016, published a list of 83 stores that it reported Ahold and Delhaize are seeking to sell as part of their forthcoming merger,"

"Additionally, at its U.S, holdings, both chains are reportedly offering a combined 83 stores for sale in the Baltimore-Washington area"

BernieP

Resident PIA
They are not closing they are up for sale if the companies Food Lion and Giant can not find a buyer they stay open just as they are.

and how long do you think the stores will remain open? If those were the profitable stores they would not have been on the "for sale" list to began with.
I think that's why it's assumed they will close - if a buyer isn't found. It's also assumed since they are the low end producers of the stores it's unlikely a buyer will step in.

BlueSunday

and how long do you think the stores will remain open? If those were the profitable stores they would not have been on the "for sale" list to began with.
I think that's why it's assumed they will close - if a buyer isn't found. It's also assumed since they are the low end producers of the stores it's unlikely a buyer will step in.
No not even close as this has all been gone over before I will reiterate the FTC has come up with the list in their interest to keep free open market trade going.This is all being done by the Federal Trade Commision not Giant or Food Lion the FTC come up with the list not the companies being a profitable store or not has no bearing on their call .If no buyer is found for the stores on the list a second list is made and if still no buyers are found the process is over and everything will stay as is.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
While the FTC may be forcing the sale of various stores, eventually, if a buyer can't be found they will be closed.

All the "I wish __________ would come here" are just pipe dreams in many cases because, contrary to what some wish to think, the area just doesn't have the demographics or population many of those companies look for.

Also, there is some thought that the area is somewhat over-groceried.

Last edited: