New Businesses Coming to Southern Maryland

Disney4845

Commercial Guy
Did they pull out?

Pearle Vision doesn't know what's happening now, they said it was "up to the lawyers".
We had heard they were moving into new digs next to Cracker Barrel, but either the people where they are want them out sooner or the place them were to move is later.

Interesting, The builder has not said anything was shaky on the new lease. maybe the landlord where they are wants them out faster so they can get a new tenant in.

BlueSunday

Beat me to the announcement. I always have to wait for the property manager to give me the ok to release it. They are looking in Waldorf too but no spot picked.
Have heard no issues with harris teeter. spoke to the agent just the other day.

Good. I know there was concern being the "new Grocery' store in town you get good traffic but now they will be competing with other "new grocery stores' for the same "new" traffic.

glhs837

Power with Control
Hey Disney, what do you know about old CoCoas Cantina, the one near Foot Locker? Looks like stuff is happening, but no sign yet.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Interesting, The builder has not said anything was shaky on the new lease. maybe the landlord where they are wants them out faster so they can get a new tenant in.

You mean a new tenant in the existing Pearl Vision on 235? I assumed they are tearing the building down so that the lot can be incorporated into the new shopping center being built.

Clem72

We already have a Michaels and a Jo-Anne's in the immediate area (and I always wonder how either stays in business). Personally I would have much preferred a Harbor Freight, it fills the hole between dollar store and Lowes where I can find a cheap version of the actual tool I need (but only need to work once, not forever).

SamSpade

We already have a Michaels and a Jo-Anne's in the immediate area (and I always wonder how either stays in business). Personally I would have much preferred a Harbor Freight, it fills the hole between dollar store and Lowes where I can find a cheap version of the actual tool I need (but only need to work once, not forever).

Yeah, I'm trying to see how the area supports yet another kind of that store. But I don't know how these decisions get made.

We seem to have no end to auto repair places, tire and battery stores, chain restaurants, fast food places, and steak houses. You'll pretty much never run out of gas in most parts of St Mary's because of the abundance of gas stations.
Convenience stores, u-store-it places.

But my guess is still, when you choose to start a business, you have to get the idea of what the shopping public is like, here. We're at the end of a peninsula - ain't gonna be a lot of "through" traffic down here for shopping.
I don't see this area as a real "craft-y" kind of place.

glhs837

Power with Control
Well, Jo-Annes and Michaels have been going strong for years now. But I think Hobby Lobby is much more of a rounded sort of Hobby Place, not just the crafty stuff that those other two places cater to.

CandaceMM

Ummmmm ....
Well, Jo-Annes and Michaels have been going strong for years now. But I think Hobby Lobby is much more of a rounded sort of Hobby Place, not just the crafty stuff that those other two places cater to.

Yes - I had never seen a Hobby Lobby until I moved to Jacksonville, FL. They're wonderful stores - a lot more home decor than Michael's. Their fabric section isn't as extensive as JoAnn's, but they have a good selection. When they open I'll likely go there first for my craft needs and bypass Michael's.

Roman

I agree with you. We were really looking forward to Harbor Freight coming here.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I've never been in one (nor seen one) BUT I overdo Christmas every year - like I even decorate the closets (inside and out). I'm always in the market for new Christmas junk and new places to buy it. Michael's just makes me crabby at Christmas.

My wife becomes ill at the smell of of the cinnamon brooms. Doesn't bother me, but there's something in them (Orris root?) that she's allergic to.

Disney4845

Commercial Guy
There's been a sale pending sign out front for ages. Any idea what's going on?

No idea on that, Ive seen the signs come and on on that building so I have not paid much attention to it. If something goes in it will prob be a mom and pop store.

Disney4845

Commercial Guy
Hope it's someone that does chicken strips - my son loves them and no one down this end of the county sells them. Near dinner time I'd much rather go south than north when I don't feel like cooking.

The last thing mentioned for that space was in September of 2015 was going to be a burgers and seafood restaurant. So I guess that never happened.

PJay

I've never been in one (nor seen one) BUT I overdo Christmas every year - like I even decorate the closets (inside and out). I'm always in the market for new Christmas junk and new places to buy it. Michael's just makes me crabby at Christmas.

Well now you will super overdo. Trust me.