New Businesses Coming to Southern Maryland

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I have eaten . ... fish & chips in England.

At least they generally get that right. Of all the many countries I've worked in, it's the English who took the prize for having the consistently lousiest food. Boy can they screw up a piece of beef... :doh:

ltown81

Here is how I handle restaurants-

1. Are the Yelp Reviews Good? If So..I will try almost anything.
2. In absence of Yelp, does the menu look appetizing. If not I pass..especially with a $30 entrée type place.

To me the menu is a big deal. There is a reason many places post it by the door. You are selling your product to get people in.

And FWIW, while the members here might be on the staff of Epicurious, a large part of the county is not very adventurous food wise. Especially the older locals. I remember when Arizona Pizza opened (before it sucked), and I thought it had a young, hip menu that was unlike anything else I had seen. I went to work, and all the older ladies I worked with who were from the county just savaged it. They don't like fancy of different food. Same reason Saigon Poo failed, when everyone here loved it. There is a reason that Bollywood Marsala has such a huge bar business. The only exception seems to be Asian stuff like Sushi which does well here. I assume that is because of the base and a lot of those folks being familiar with it.

I guess my concern is Loic has a pretty strong following of loyal customers. Looking at that menu, I am curious how many will stay on board.

Sad!

I like to taste the food.....
Enjoy the service and ambiance....
I do not even believe Yelp.....

Clem72

Here is how I handle restaurants-

1. Are the Yelp Reviews Good? If So..I will try almost anything.

Might want to check Trip Advisor instead (or try them both?). There are lots of stories online of how Yelp allows businesses to suppress bad reviews. In fact it's their primary business model, they call businesses with bad reviews and tell them if they upgrade to premier status on yelp they can choose exactly which reviews are "preferred" for yelp visitors to see.

lovinmaryland

Might want to check Trip Advisor instead (or try them both?). There are lots of stories online of how Yelp allows businesses to suppress bad reviews. In fact it's their primary business model, they call businesses with bad reviews and tell them if they upgrade to premier status on yelp they can choose exactly which reviews are "preferred" for yelp visitors to see.

^^^THIS^^^

I check both trip advisor and yelp. I usually have the search engine on the most recent reviews. I also skim through to see what the bad reviews say. If they have a reoccurring theme like bad service, cold food, whatever I try to factor that in to whether we try it or not.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
At least they generally get that right. Of all the many countries I've worked in, it's the English who took the prize for having the consistently lousiest food. Boy can they screw up a piece of beef... :doh:

I happen to love a lot of English food. Cornish pasties are the best hand food ever, you can't beat a good shepards pie for comfort food, Welsh rarebit is the worlds best version of grilled cheese...

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I happen to love a lot of English food. Cornish pasties are the best hand food ever, you can't beat a good shepards pie for comfort food, Welsh rarebit is the worlds best version of grilled cheese...

ahh..food of the more northern variety. I have heard that stuff was good...or at least, better. I guess I should have narrowed my criticism to the offerings where I worked in the south mostly..Dover, Portsmouth, Southampton, Weymouth.. It was so bad that we got to the point that we ate only Indian, Chinese and Italian...where we could find it.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I can always find something to my taste at GC, but then again I can find something I like most anywhere in the world. I have to admit though that menu looked overly fussy, like the were trying to be over the top haute cuisine.

It's Mediterranean infused French, and it's ok to expand the taste buds a bit. I mean, his menus served him well when he was running kitchens in DC.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
ahh..food of the more northern variety. I have heard that stuff was good...or at least, better. I guess I should have narrowed my criticism to the offerings where I worked in the south mostly..Dover, Portsmouth, Southampton, Weymouth.. It was so bad that we got to the point that we ate only Indian, Chinese and Italian...where we could find it.

Yea that......and French

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yea that......and French

Some years ago, I was helping put a new passenger ferry on a channel route connecting Weymouth, Guernsey and St. Malo. On the French end, the mayor of the town used the opportunity of the maiden voyage to officially open their fancy new ferry terminal and a large "banquet" was prepared for all invited.

These little saucer-sized plates kept coming out...a bit of leaf...a tiny bit of fish or something else...a little dab of sauce applied in a delicate swirl... This went on for probably an hour or so and then..nothing. I asked "when is the main course coming??".....to be informed that dinner had already been served and was over. :eyebrow:

Roman

Never heard of Cornish Pasties! I'll bet it is a good hand-food! :lmao:

glhs837

Power with Control
Some years ago, I was helping put a new passenger ferry on a channel route connecting Weymouth, Guernsey and St. Malo. On the French end, the mayor of the town used the opportunity of the maiden voyage to officially open their fancy new ferry terminal and a large "banquet" was prepared for all invited.

These little saucer-sized plates kept coming out...a bit of leaf...a tiny bit of fish or something else...a little dab of sauce applied in a delicate swirl... This went on for probably an hour or so and then..nothing. I asked "when is the main course coming??".....to be informed that dinner had already been served and was over. :eyebrow:

I lol'ed :)

Hank

my war
Yep. What was the name of the country bar in..Waldorf, I think it was. Everyone had to go buy cowboy boots and hats and learn how to line dance. Well...not me....I only dance like I'm being electrocuted, but everyone else.

Spurs! They were a client of mine.