New Businesses Coming to Southern Maryland

ltown81

I have a tough time with the menu. I always thought of the Café as ultra French, yet most of the menu I liked, and would have no trouble trying. Dishes like Lobster Thermidor and Beef Wellington come to mind. I am not a fish person, and after googling much of the menu, I am not sure I am interested in much..aside from the short rib. I think foodies will like it...but will all the regular Café customers go there as much. I doubt it.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I'm pretty sure they might have daily specials, like most upscale restaurants. A lot of time, I try those instead of the menu.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I have a tough time with the menu. I always thought of the Café as ultra French, yet most of the menu I liked, and would have no trouble trying. Dishes like Lobster Thermidor and Beef Wellington come to mind. I am not a fish person, and after googling much of the menu, I am not sure I am interested in much..aside from the short rib. I think foodies will like it...but will all the regular Café customers go there as much. I doubt it.

There are several styles of French cooking and not all are heavy meals. I think what the chef focused on was the European farm to table philosophy.
Base the menu on the season and what you can source locally. Obviously some items have to be brought in fresh. But the key is fresh, not packaged.
Chains don't do that, everything is frozen, and packaged up for consistency. Their meals are designed to cut the order to table time down which allows the restaurant to turn over more tables per hour. It also reduces training costs.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member

You've made two negative comments about a restaurant that hasn't even opened yet......sheeeshhhhhh!
You must be one of the thousands that flock to Olive Garden and think it's Italian.

glhs837

Power with Control
On a related note, attended the Family and Friends at that new hot dog joint, BayDawgs. Color me shocked that tossing crab dip on top of all all beef dog tastes pretty damn good. Not normally all all beef dog guy, a bit too fatty tasting for me, but that crab dip makes it all good. Onion rings were not hot, but if they had been, would have been great. Just good at the temp they were. A bit pricey, but we will be going back, it was that good.

ltown81

I looked at the menu, and made a judgement on if it is something I would like or not. Not being negatative. People decide not to eat at a restaurant by looking at the menu all the time.

You've made two negative comments about a restaurant that hasn't even opened yet......sheeeshhhhhh!
You must be one of the thousands that flock to Olive Garden and think it's Italian.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
I looked at the menu, and made a judgement on if it is something I would like or not. Not being negatative. People decide not to eat at a restaurant by looking at the menu all the time.

Sad!

I like to taste the food.....
Enjoy the service and ambiance....
I do not even believe Yelp.....

Last edited:
On a related note, attended the Family and Friends at that new hot dog joint, BayDawgs. Color me shocked that tossing crab dip on top of all all beef dog tastes pretty damn good. Not normally all all beef dog guy, a bit too fatty tasting for me, but that crab dip makes it all good. Onion rings were not hot, but if they had been, would have been great. Just good at the temp they were. A bit pricey, but we will be going back, it was that good.

Is this a hot dog place where you can get any type of topping imagineable? There's a place like that in Tennessee. We ate there a few years ago and I got the steak and cheese hot dog. It was amazingly good! You can even get mac and cheese on a hot dog (which I would never order LOL).

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Sad!

I like to taste the food.....
Enjoy the service and ambiance....
I do not even believe Yelp.....

I dunno about sad... I'm an adventurous eater, which is a darned good thing since I travel worldwide for a living. I try - and almost always enjoy - anything on any menu anywhere. My SO, on the other hand, is about as "meat and potatoes only, please" as they come.

BernieP

Resident PIA

Ever wonder why we in SoMD don't see much in the way of fine dining? Check out the parking lot at Golden Coral and the other buffets that people go to.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Ever wonder why we in SoMD don't see much in the way of fine dining? Check out the parking lot at Golden Coral and the other buffets that people go to.

I can always find something to my taste at GC, but then again I can find something I like most anywhere in the world. I have to admit though that menu looked overly fussy, like the were trying to be over the top haute cuisine.

Clem72

Well it ain't Chinese food Mr. Bird Shet. Fact is, most people that specifically seek out "authentic" restaurants are actual immigrants (of which we don't have a ton), or wanna be hipster food critics like yourself.

Why don't you go back to posting your dinner on Pinterest and leave to rest of us to enjoy our food, regardless of if it is exactly the same as some other food served in some other country.

Clem72

I can always find something to my taste at GC, but then again I can find something I like most anywhere in the world. I have to admit though that menu looked overly fussy, like the were trying to be over the top haute cuisine.

I have eaten street tacos in Mexico, Balut in the Philippines, and fish & chips in England. I like to try local cuisine when I am out and about. But there's also nothing wrong with Taco Bell if that's what you want.

But apparently people like Mr. Dog Shet think it's appropriate to go around belittling people for their choice of food. While he probably chugs 120 ounce sodas from 7-11 all day and can barely squeeze his fat arse into the booth at his favorite boutique restaurant in DC.