New Businesses Coming to Southern Maryland

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Says it was posted by the Great Mills Trading Post. And there's this sentence...

" Today Ebby’s Finishing Touches, a unique interior design firm, operates from the original Friendly Tavern building at the southeast corner of Route 5 and Indian Bridge Road."

I figured that Ebby's had to have something to do with it. Good company...I've received good service and good products from them. So I'm not surprised that they are expanding to a better space.

koan00

Says it was posted by the Great Mills Trading Post. And there's this sentence...

" Today Ebby’s Finishing Touches, a unique interior design firm, operates from the original Friendly Tavern building at the southeast corner of Route 5 and Indian Bridge Road."

Which indicates that they will be moving in. Building seems too big for that, maybe it's Also going to be a new headquarters building for the Trading Post. So, why the hell did the article ramble on about the traffic? Simple, if the Trading Post and that business that's in the Friendly Tavern move in, then those buildings can contribute space that's needed to build out the road.
It's going to a be Spin (Bicycle) fitness center called "Salt Cycle Studio": https://www.facebook.com/Salt-Cycle-Studio-1564581557186162/?fref=nf

BernieP

Resident PIA
I don't care if they move it back, there is still gong to be a parking lot and access right at the intersection. Seems odd to go forward with a project that would add further to the congestion at a place where the SHA is looking for cheap ways to resolve the problem.

glhs837

Power with Control
I don't care if they move it back, there is still gong to be a parking lot and access right at the intersection. Seems odd to go forward with a project that would add further to the congestion at a place where the SHA is looking for cheap ways to resolve the problem.

The problem there is more lanes than access, I think.

SoMdDude

Bollywood is moving to Lenny's. I thinkt hey are incorporating a taphouse type feel as well. i think its going to be really nice.

They better build a much bigger cooler for the kegs then! And add lots of taps, Cause Lennys keg cooler was tiny (they used to be one of my accounts for my old job) (in the beer biz)

I see that there is a new sign up for the Charlotte Hall Station. Maybe it's gaining traction?

Is something replacing the junk tractor man at the Charlotte Hall market? I will miss stopping in to get parts for my mowers from him.

Any word on what is going in on the property next to the market?

Roman

I heard not long ago, that Harbor Freight was going in to the old K-Mart in St. Mary's County. Any merit to that?

BernieP

Resident PIA
The problem there is more lanes than access, I think.

Talk was that they would widen the bridge and add lanes up to a new intersection with Indian Bridge / Flat Iron Roads.
The idea was to move the choke point further north - which I'm not sure how that solves the problem.
IMHO, giving Great Mills Rd 2 right turn lanes, into one "merged" lane wasn't such a bright idea to began with - what could possibly go wrong with that, eh?
But they were talking about cutting off that cut through road next to the Sheetz and widening RT 5, including the bridge.

The best plan was taking Pegg Rd out to Rt 5. That would move some of the traffic off GMR and ease the problem at the bottle neck.

glhs837

Power with Control
Talk was that they would widen the bridge and add lanes up to a new intersection with Indian Bridge / Flat Iron Roads.
The idea was to move the choke point further north - which I'm not sure how that solves the problem.
IMHO, giving Great Mills Rd 2 right turn lanes, into one "merged" lane wasn't such a bright idea to began with - what could possibly go wrong with that, eh?
But they were talking about cutting off that cut through road next to the Sheetz and widening RT 5, including the bridge.

The best plan was taking Pegg Rd out to Rt 5. That would move some of the traffic off GMR and ease the problem at the bottle neck.

Yep, the farther up from the intersection you can move the merge point for those two lanes the better it is for the intersection, I think. I think two lanes should extend up to Callaway, and past the shopping center. Lengthen that dedicated right turn lane to soak up some of the folks heading down Gilligans way. I think the Pegg Road extension to 5 is still in the works, and was supposed to hit 5 right there in Callaway.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Yep, the farther up from the intersection you can move the merge point for those two lanes the better it is for the intersection, I think. I think two lanes should extend up to Callaway, and past the shopping center. Lengthen that dedicated right turn lane to soak up some of the folks heading down Gilligans way. I think the Pegg Road extension to 5 is still in the works, and was supposed to hit 5 right there in Callaway.

I thought they said Pegg Rd was killed???
God help us if there is an emergency and we need to evacuate

glhs837

Power with Control
I thought they said Pegg Rd was killed???
God help us if there is an emergency and we need to evacuate

Don't recall that. Unless Gilligan build some giant fighting mecha that goes haywire, our need to evacuate is slim, I'm okay with that level of risk :) Oh, and the wifes Trailhawk can get us overland around all your surface road dwellers :)

Why?
Would you spend too much of that retirement check?

I have never been in one. Is the product quality good?

They have low cost tools that are hit/miss with quality. But the cost is so low that it doesn't matter if you burn up a tool. Great for when you need a tool, don't plan on using it more than a few times. Low cost saw blades, $15 18volt drills, etc.

I got a 12" compound sliding miter saw with laser for $135. Thought I'd need one, turns out I didn't. Still in the box.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, need a wrench to bend into a pretzl, or a socket you need to grind down to half depth? Bought my motorcycle chock there.

BigBlue

Watch out for a new influx of semi rumors about "new grocery stores" in the area.Giant and Food Lion must sell some stores in this area due to the merger of both parent companies ,Giants for sure are Accokeek and LaPlata and Food Lions in Upper Marlboro and on RT 5 in Waldorf .FTC rules say they must be sold to like companies ,meaning no Whole Foods or Wegman's or Trader Joe's or Aldi's more like a Publix,Harris Teeter or Safeway.

Last edited:

SoMdDude

Watch out for a new influx of semi rumors about "new grocery stores" in the area.Giant and Food Lion must sell some stores in this area due to the merger of both parent companies ,Giants for sure are Accokeek and LaPlata and Food Lions in Upper Marlboro and on RT 5 in Waldorf .FTC rules say they must be sold to like companies ,meaning no Whole Foods or Wegman's or Trader Joe's or Aldi's more like a Publix,Harris Teeter or Safeway.

I live 1 mile from the Accokeek Giant, woman we know well that works there told us last saturday about it closing... we are bummed cause it was so close to us, but it wont happen until june/july she said. She doesnt know who is buying the store

How is a whole foods or wegmans or trader joes NOT like giant? they are all grocery stores lol I hope it doesnt turn into a harris teeter, while they are nice, too expensive

Last edited:

BigBlue

I live 1 mile from the Accokeek Giant, woman we know well that works there told us last saturday about it closing... we are bummed cause it was so close to us, but it wont happen until june/july she said. She doesnt know who is buying the store

How is a whole foods or wegmans or trader joes NOT like giant? they are all grocery stores lol I hope it doesnt turn into a harris teeter, while they are nice, too expensive

This is all the FTC, WF, Wegmans,Trader Joe's are considered "specialty stores".Shoppers is considered a discount store,Aldi and Walmart are considered case stores.This pretty much leaves as I said Publix's , Safeway and Harris Teeter. As for the Giant if none of them buy it .it stays open and the FTC comes up with another list and if that doesn't work ....all stores stay where they are.(and open)Make sense, hell no but those are the rules.

SoMdDude

This is all the FTC, WF, Wegmans,Trader Joe's are considered "specialty stores".Shoppers is considered a discount store,Aldi and Walmart are considered case stores.This pretty much leaves as I said Publix's , Safeway and Harris Teeter. As for the Giant if none of them buy it .it stays open and the FTC comes up with another list and if that doesn't work ....all stores stay where they are.(and open)Make sense, hell no but those are the rules.

Gotcha, well I havent heard about Publix coming to maryland, I saw mention of northern va... now that would be awesome... have been to them in florida in the past

OldHillcrestGuy

I see that there is a new sign up for the Charlotte Hall Station. Maybe it's gaining traction?

Is something replacing the junk tractor man at the Charlotte Hall market? I will miss stopping in to get parts for my mowers from him.

Any word on what is going in on the property next to the market?

I saw the new sign, I stopped to look at it and it still has a McKays storefront on the buildings in the picture. Also in the past week or so they have been doing perc test's on the property directly behind Subway that goes from Three Notch Rd all the way back to Charlotte Hall Rd., and also the piece of property that goes from Three Notch to Charlotte Hall Rd. that use to have the big ole Burch house that totally burned up several years ago.