New Businesses Coming to Southern Maryland

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
This is all the FTC, WF, Wegmans,Trader Joe's are considered "specialty stores".Shoppers is considered a discount store,Aldi and Walmart are considered case stores.This pretty much leaves as I said Publix's , Safeway and Harris Teeter. As for the Giant if none of them buy it .it stays open and the FTC comes up with another list and if that doesn't work ....all stores stay where they are.(and open)Make sense, hell no but those are the rules.

BS.....
It's all a Union trade off. No non-Union stores. It's not FTC rules. Union rules.

http://www.ufcw400.org/category/employers/giant/

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA
I think it's been mentioned here before, there are two different Giant chains. They may look alike, but they are not the same. Not sure where and how they forked off. All I know is that your "bonus" card doesn't work across the corporate boundary.

Merlin

Registered Smarta$$
Watch out for a new influx of semi rumors about "new grocery stores" in the area.Giant and Food Lion must sell some stores in this area due to the merger of both parent companies ,Giants for sure are Accokeek and LaPlata and Food Lions in Upper Marlboro and on RT 5 in Waldorf .FTC rules say they must be sold to like companies ,meaning no Whole Foods or Wegman's or Trader Joe's or Aldi's more like a Publix,Harris Teeter or Safeway.

List of stores being sold: http://best-met.com/news/ahold-delh...merger-83-u-s-supermarkets-reportedly-sale/2/

BernieP

Resident PIA

of the 4 stores in the lower end of St. Mary's you would think they would keep St. Mary's Square and Callaway since they don't have a competitor next door.
I won't argue the one in the park is something of a schiat show, but what other grocery store is in the area.
Why not keep at least one of those and close Leonardtown (the one next to McKay's super sized store).

Not sure if the Giant in First Colony is Landover and unionized?

stgislander

PREMO Member
of the 4 stores in the lower end of St. Mary's you would think they would keep St. Mary's Square and Callaway since they don't have a competitor next door.
I won't argue the one in the park is something of a schiat show, but what other grocery store is in the area.
Why not keep at least one of those and close Leonardtown (the one next to McKay's super sized store).

I can't imagine losing the FL in Callaway, especially now since the McKay's on GMR closed. I'll drive up to Leonardtown before going over to Rt235.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I can't imagine losing the FL in Callaway, especially now since the McKay's on GMR closed. I'll drive up to Leonardtown before going over to Rt235.

That's what I was thinking..what store(s) does the Callaway location "overlap"?

Well...we always got Dents.

BernieP

Resident PIA
The only thing I can think of is they looked at the business all 4 stores were doing and picked the one that was the most profitable - without regard to the geography of the county.
You would think someone would look at the area and see that a good section of the county doesn't have a full service grocery store.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
All the Giants in So. Maryland that are to close are Union.

Giants have alway been Union. Thats why they are broke and can't compete, hence closing stores. Thats also why they do not want non-union stores replacing them, not some FTC mandate.......its a Union mandate for the merger to protect Union jobs.

I just don't know how the government is going to tell a landlord he cannot rent to a grocery store if its non-union. We will see how that works.

BlueSunday

Giants have alway been Union. Thats why they are broke and can't compete, hence closing stores. Thats also why they do not want non-union stores replacing them, not some FTC mandate.......its a Union mandate for the merger to protect Union jobs.

I just don't know how the government is going to tell a landlord he cannot rent to a grocery store if its non-union. We will see how that works.

The store in VA are not Union.The FTC has ruled due to the merger between Royal Ahold(Giant,Stop and Shop) and Delhaize(Food Lion) there must be store divestitures the FTC comes up with the list not the companies and certainly not Unions.

http://supermarketnews.com/ahold-delhaize-merger

Seems you are incorrect about someone being broke all so.

http://www.reuters.com/article/delhaize-group-ma-ahold-idUSL8N0ZA0HV20150624

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
The store in VA are not Union.The FTC has ruled due to the merger between Royal Ahold(Giant,Stop and Shop) and Delhaize(Food Lion) there must be store divestitures the FTC comes up with the list not the companies and certainly not Unions.

http://supermarketnews.com/ahold-delhaize-merger

Seems you are incorrect about someone being broke all so.

http://www.reuters.com/article/delhaize-group-ma-ahold-idUSL8N0ZA0HV20150624

Virginia is a "Right to work" state. No Unions.
BlueBalls stated that the FTC is requiring Maryland stores that close/divesited must be of a certain type i.e. Union. The FTC does not do that.
Ahold is not broke, Giant Food is because of high labor costs and union rules. That is why they are being sold, otherwise they would go out of business just like all of the other Union business that they choke to death.

BlueSunday

Virginia is a "Right to work" state. No Unions.
BlueBalls stated that the FTC is requiring Maryland stores that close/divesited must be of a certain type i.e. Union. The FTC does not do that.
Ahold is not broke, Giant Food is because of high labor costs and union rules. That is why they are being sold, otherwise they would go out of business just like all of the other Union business that they choke to death.

The OP made no such mention that stores sold must be either Union or not.Please look at the links and you will see you are incorrect.Giant is the number one Grocery retailer in the Washington/Baltimore area.

I think it's been mentioned here before, there are two different Giant chains. They may look alike, but they are not the same. Not sure where and how they forked off. All I know is that your "bonus" card doesn't work across the corporate boundary.

I know there are two Giant chains in the Mid-Atlantic, there is Giant of Landover that is the one we know in the Washington-Baltimore area. Thee is also Giant - Carlisle in Pennsylvania. Both are owned by Ahold.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
The OP made no such mention that stores sold must be either Union or not.Please look at the links and you will see you are incorrect.Giant is the number one Grocery retailer in the Washington/Baltimore area.

First....not the OP
Second...stating certain "rules" dictate which stores can fill the closed stores, false. Need link
Third ..Giant may be the largest, but because of the Union parasites they are going out of business and have to be sold....
Fourth...unions can't tell a landlord who they cannot rent to....
Fifth ....The UFCW is going to die.....a slow painful death....good riddence

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron

:eyebrow::eyebrow: