New Businesses Coming to Southern Maryland

SamSpade

Me and my better half love Aldi, I may never go in Food Lion again. People will moan and fuss about it coming, but if I remember a couple years back alot of the folks belittled the one down in Hollywood, sure looks like that parking lot has alot of cars in it most of the time.
I shop there rather often, but they have the worst habit of opening a mere one and possibly two registers while the line goes so deep it wraps around the center freezer in a circle.

Occasionally, an employee will shout that they're opening a new register ---

But when I worked retail, we had a RULE - more than three in a line, open a new one. When it's CLEAR - shut one down.
I'm not crazy about Harris-Teeter's prices, but they are almost always VERY GOOD at making sure you don't wait - sometimes walking up to you and leading you to a newly opened register - or standing in the main aisle to encourage you to go to theirs.

On a similar note, I'm kind of disgusted that BJ's STILL has people queued up, down one of the main aisles with someone directing the queue. Worse, they rarely have more than two full service stations open, preferring people to check themselves out. They did this during the height of the pandemic, but it's long since outlived its usefulness. Wal-Mart is the worst and I will never shop there unless I HAVE TO.

OldHillcrestGuy

I shop there rather often, but they have the worst habit of opening a mere one and possibly two registers while the line goes so deep it wraps around the center freezer in a circle.

Occasionally, an employee will shout that they're opening a new register ---

But when I worked retail, we had a RULE - more than three in a line, open a new one. When it's CLEAR - shut one down.
I'm not crazy about Harris-Teeter's prices, but they are almost always VERY GOOD at making sure you don't wait - sometimes walking up to you and leading you to a newly opened register - or standing in the main aisle to encourage you to go to theirs.

On a similar note, I'm kind of disgusted that BJ's STILL has people queued up, down one of the main aisles with someone directing the queue. Worse, they rarely have more than two full service stations open, preferring people to check themselves out. They did this during the height of the pandemic, but it's long since outlived its usefulness. Wal-Mart is the worst and I will never shop there unless I HAVE TO.

I dont get to the Hollywood Aldi's as much as I do Waldorf or Brandywine but at Waldorf the lines really go fast unless you get behind someone doing their weekly grocery shopping.

I kind of remembering folks bashing the thoughts of Aldi coming. Just look at how long the lines are now. There is big savings at Aldi just one example gallon of milk $2.43 at Aldi in Waldorf, gallon of milk at Food Lion Charlotte Hall think was about $3.40.

SamSpade

I dont get to the Hollywood Aldi's as much as I do Waldorf or Brandywine but at Waldorf the lines really go fast unless you get behind someone doing their weekly grocery shopping.
I absolutely agree that you’ll save money. It’s great for that.

But people shopping for weekly groceries feeds the problem. You’ll see this at Dollar General and Walmart - and ALDI. If you’re just stepping in for a gallon of milk, you’ll skip waiting in a long line - and if you KNOW you’ll be in a long line - you’ll buy a cartload.

It’s sort of a self-feeding process. I’ll go to the self checkout occasionally at Walmart - and there will be people with TWO FULL CARTS checking out! Want a bag of chips at Dollar General? They have two checkout registers and one is ‘broken’ - it only takes cash because somehow after several months it hasn’t been fixed. The other line - full cart.

Moving people through SLOWLY encourages bigger carts - which in turn creates longer lines.

It’s exasperating.

I’ve told the following story many times. When I was in Russia in what is the equivalent of a WalMart they had a checker at EVERY register and a salesgirl in every aisle, there to help you find things. Later when I asked WHY they would waste so much manpower, they answered “ well none of them get PAID much, but mainly - we remember communism. We NEVER want to stand in lines like that again “.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Speaking of Dollar General, it appears the Callaway store is open. I have a big question about vehicle access. Looking at the arrows painted on the asphalt, it appears that you can only enter the store from southbound Rt 5. The two lanes perpendicular to Rt 5 both have outbound arrows. No entrance arrow that I noticed. Am I missing a lane?

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Speaking of Dollar General, it appears the Callaway store is open. I have a big question about vehicle access. Looking at the arrows painted on the asphalt, it appears that you can only enter the store from southbound Rt 5. The two lanes perpendicular to Rt 5 both have outbound arrows. No entrance arrow that I noticed. Am I missing a lane?
First accident?
I predict Thursday.

Clem72

Me and my better half love Aldi, I may never go in Food Lion again. People will moan and fuss about it coming, but if I remember a couple years back alot of the folks belittled the one down in Hollywood, sure looks like that parking lot has alot of cars in it most of the time. Only thing Im upset about is that its not being located across the street where new McKays never went, then I could go there and come in from Charlotte Hall Rd. and not have to go across Three Notch Rd. and get all tangled up in all the new traffic that the Chick-Fli-A will bring.

I go to Aldi's occasionally. I like that they are generally speedy and have a limited selection so you know what you want and where to get it. It's definitely not a replacement for a full grocery store. They are much better priced on many items, but they are also way overpriced for many items (usually things with recognizable american brand names). If you never go to a regular grocery store you may not realize you are paying more.

phreddyp

I go to Aldi's occasionally. I like that they are generally speedy and have a limited selection so you know what you want and where to get it. It's definitely not a replacement for a full grocery store. They are much better priced on many items, but they are also way overpriced for many items (usually things with recognizable american brand names). If you never go to a regular grocery store you may not realize you are paying more.
No not a complete replacement. But getting 3 bags of groceries for what you pay at Weis or Giant or Food Lion for one is enough of a reason for me. No one touches their pricing for fruits and produce!

No not a complete replacement. But getting 3 bags of groceries for what you pay at Weis or Giant or Food Lion for one is enough of a reason for me. No one touches their pricing for fruits and produce!
I would say since they redid the one in CA you can do a whole shopping trip there.