New Here, May Relocate

newcomer

Thanks, Ranger John...

Have you been happy with Mariner's Cove? The environ? How about the builders?

Speaking of which, anyone familiar with D&D Builders? Appreciate any input....

RangerJohn

Originally posted by newcomer
Thanks, Ranger John...

Have you been happy with Mariner's Cove? The environ? How about the builders?

Speaking of which, anyone familiar with D&D Builders? Appreciate any input....

I've been very happy with the location, and I've got the best neighbors in Southern Maryland. When Isabel blew past and cleanup started, we all went house to house helping each other out. Most of the community came here from other places than Maryland, and we are convenient to the base. And Gate 3 is the best way I've found to access Pax....much less traffic. The only reason my house is for sale now is that my current employer has given me a long-term contract, a huge raise, and generous relocation package to move to Va Beach.

We still have deer wandering through our backyards, I've seen the occasional fox, and even a bald eagle flying combat air patrol overhead. My two boys have a 250 yard journey to Chesapeake Bay, and spent the summer there with fishing poles and catching crabs with chicken necks, line and nets. The school bus is convenient. GMP cable is now in the area, and although I prefer the programming on my satellite dish, the High Speed Internet is darned nice to have.

The builders did have some rough moments, as Curtis sub-contracts the building of these homes to different builders. But I had the third home in the sub-division, so some growing pains were inevitable. They do go over schedule, when I made my purchase it was February and I was told I'd be in by September. September became October, and well....I wound up moving in 2 days before Christmas...now they are telling prospective buyers that construction might take as long as 10 months.

This is a lot of info, hope that it helps!

newcomer

Again, thanks again, RangerJohn.

I believe I've seen your house thru an internet search and is the model we were considering. My concern is whether or not we can do without a basement with our large family.

Have a great day and thanks for ALL the info!

RangerJohn

Originally posted by newcomer
Again, thanks again, RangerJohn.

I believe I've seen your house thru an internet search and is the model we were considering. My concern is whether or not we can do without a basement with our large family.

Have a great day and thanks for ALL the info!

No worries....gotta help all my fellow refugee's from Southern California.

As for large family....got 5 bedrooms right here...cable is in every bedroom....no basement, but I've got a large crawlspace, and I built a storage loft in the garage (my downstairs ceilings are 9 feet high, but my garage has up to a 20 foot ceiling....and can still get two cars inside! In this area, we have no basements because the water table is so low. The price you pay for being so close to Chesapeake Bay.

Good luck with the search...gotta get ready for the next round of agents showing off the house.

Ciao

VA. SQUID

Well, after living in Va. Beach for over 20 years before getting orders to Pax River I have to tell you that there is no comparison. I miss living in Va. Beach, had a beautiful house and like a fool I sold it instead of renting it out before coming up here. Trust me you can get a whole lot more house for your money at the beach than you can in southern maryland. After looking at real estate in So. Maryland I decided that it wasnt for me and decided to do the commute from Virginia and although its a little bit of a drive I dont regret it one bit. I'm not knocking So. Maryland but there just isn't anything there.

Hello6

Princess of Mean
Oooh, I can start a list:

1. A mall 5 minutes from where ever you are in Hampton roads. You must be in Waldorf to be 5 minutes to the Military Circle type mall.

2. Stadium type seating movie theaters (distance thing again)

3. Krispy Kreme, hot NOW!

That's just a starter. Don't get me wrong, you all have the one thing I miss most up there:blushing: :smooch:

K

Kizzy

Originally posted by Hello6
Oooh, I can start a list:

1. A mall 5 minutes from where ever you are in Hampton roads. You must be in Waldorf to be 5 minutes to the Military Circle type mall.

2. Stadium type seating movie theaters (distance thing again)

3. Krispy Kreme, hot NOW!

That's just a starter. Don't get me wrong, you all have the one thing I miss most up there:blushing: :smooch:

For a homebody like me, I could care less about the mall. As far as a nice movie theater, I'd rather have netflix deliver them to my door, since I only go to the theater to take the kids to see the latest kid flick. My fat arse doesn't need any fricken Krispy Kreme dounuts. I love the peace and serenity of the country.

VA. SQUID

Originally posted by cariblue
Could you be more specific? What is it that isn't here that you have there?

Like I said I am not knocking So. Maryland but "for me" I could not justify spending the money to own a home there when there is nothing really there. I guess if I liked hunting and fishing it would be ideal, but thats not me. I'm not a city boy by any means but it's just a little bit too country for me. I'm just a short drive from D.C. and Richmond and although northern Virginia is a nightmare to drive around in and I avoid it at all cost there is much to do in this area. And by the way I love the drive to Pax every day and would rather drive there than to D.C. any day.

Hello6

Princess of Mean
I actually don't get out to the mall that much either, it's just nice knowing if I wanted to go, I don't have to drive 2 friggin hours to get to a decent one.
My hinder needs no more Krispy Kreme either, but it's just comforting to know it's there when I need it.
I am admittedly spoiled by the location of stores here: I live within half a mile from the SuperWalmart, Target, Foodlion (not a crappy one either) and cheap azz gas place, AND Lowes and Home Depot.
What does L town have that I can't get???
Friggin Papa John's pizzas delivered to my door:boo:

VA. SQUID

Originally posted by Hello6
I actually don't get out to the mall that much either, it's just nice knowing if I wanted to go, I don't have to drive 2 friggin hours to get to a decent one.
My hinder needs no more Krispy Kreme either, but it's just comforting to know it's there when I need it.
I am admittedly spoiled by the location of stores here: I live within half a mile from the SuperWalmart, Target, Foodlion (not a crappy one either) and cheap azz gas place, AND Lowes and Home Depot.
What does L town have that I can't get???
Friggin Papa John's pizzas delivered to my door:boo:

Exactly, I hate going up to Central Park or Patomac Mills but I know they are close by if I need to. Lowes, Home Depot, Circuit City, Walmart, Best Buy, etc..... thery are all here and just a few minutes away. I admit that So. Maryland has grown alot in the last few years and will probably keep on growing, I remember years ago going up there to the base when there was nothing there and no hotels to speak of except for the Belvedere.

VA. SQUID

As far as shopping goes, I think we have everything we need. Please explain what's missing that can't be substituted by something that we currently have.

Like I said, you do have alot now that you didn't have years ago. I guess what I like is the diversity of different people that are around here, and I know that you have that there to some extent since Navair moved there from D.C. and all the contractors and such. I'm not knocking the area I'm just saying that I just didn't feel like it was for me. I've met alot of nice people there and like I said I'm there five days a week for work but I couldnt see living there.

SmallTown

Football season!
As far as shopping goes, I think we have everything we need. Please explain what's missing that can't be substituted by something that we currently have.

Why limit yourself to "substituting" when you can have the real thing?

Depends on the type of shopping and what you like. If you want decent clothes then somd is out of the question. When your "nicest" store is 45 mins away and it is a hechts, you have issues. I can basically go in any direction and be at a decent shopping destination in 25 mins or less... Can hit potomac mills, springfield mall (kinda sucky) pentagon city, the underground shops at crystal city, fairoaks mall. Add maybe another 5 or 10 minutes and be at Tysons Corner. if I need to do some shopping, I can take a quick trip the mall at lunch instead taking half a day. I can go in any direction and find food I like. Be it mexican, seafood, steak, thai, indian, vietnamese, etc.
Want to see a movie? regardless of how nice your "home theatre" is, doesn't quite compare to a nice theatre. Hoffman center in alexandria, the new theatre at fairfax corner, and the new 18 screen theatre being built at potomac mills... Even manassas has a nice Hoyts theatre. Wants CDs in somd? end up at target or walmart. Decent selections, but nowhere near what you'll find at the countless music stores you will find here. if you like what the top40 stations play, then you're probably ok with target, otherwise you're screwed.

Sure, the water is nice to have in somd. But if you don't have a boat, it is kind of useless. I didn't have a boat in somd, I don't have a boat in NoVa, nothing gained, nothing lost.

And not that I could ever afford it, but we on the way back from the maill today we passed a Ferrari/Maserati dealership... Not quite the same as Lexington Park Dodge.

Basically with the influx of people, you have all the problems related to having a lot of people living in one area, and few of the benefits. My wife just had to go to a meeting at Pax last week. While I was riding along the fairfax county parkway, she was telling me how she was stopped on 235 atleast a mile back from gate 1. Construction or no construction, being the main artery into the base, 235 will always be a parking lot. If you want restaurants you have just a couple of choices for most type of food. If one of them is bad, you're pretty much screwed because the other one will always be full.

Hello6

Princess of Mean
Please explain what's missing that can't be substituted by something that we currently have.
It sounds to me like you're talking out both sides of your face.
1.LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION

2. Sounds to me like you're trolling for roast:boxing:

Calm down Cari! We're both saying we liked Pax but have been spoiled by everything being so close here.

Opera, bands at the boathouse and the NTelos Pavilion, it's all just a hop away. Come on here, when has Pax been a Tourist Trap? I liked SOMD for what it was, and I warned folks coming up from Norfolk that it was rural, not hicksville, just rural.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by *archimedes*
I think we know who the troll is here. Anyone who would go to a NASCAR forum and talk about how NASCAR wasn't for them. Anyone who would go to a ricer forum and talk about how ricers aren't for them. Anyone who would go to a Southern Maryland forum to talk about how Southern Maryland isn't for them.

Depends. The question was asked, people responded.
Plus to use your NASCAR forum notion, I view this as a parallel to a NASCAR argument about who the better driver is, not about the dislike for the sport.

Last edited:

VA. SQUID

It sounds to me like you're talking out both sides of your face.

I'm not going to get into a big ####in' contest with you if thats what your looking for. If your happy there I'm glad for you, I on the other hand am happy where I am, I dont think I ever meant to put down Southern Maryland and if you feel that I was I apologize.