New Here, May Relocate

VA. SQUID

Originally posted by cariblue

I think it's really unfair to try to paint an undesirable picture of a place just because it didn't suit you personally.

I really think your taking this a little too personal. I don't think anybody is trying to "flame" your area, it's just that it's not for everyone.

VA. SQUID

Well, that's very mature of you! I guess since I havn't been reading all the historical posts I don't rate an input?

VA. SQUID

Actually I have no problem whatsoever hearing whatever you have to say, it's the STFU part that kinds of irritates me.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I cringe every time I see some newbie looking for relocation information. I know it will eventually devolve into an argument about the joys (or lack) of southern Maryland.

If you require high nightlife and Broadway shows, don't move here. If you need to have a major shopping district within 5 miles, don't move here. If you require a subway for transportation, don't move here. If you just don't feel like it's civilization without 10 story buildings, don't move here.

If you like a nice, fairly quiet, rural-esque atmosphere, move here. If you love the water, move here. If you're sick of being accosted by panhandlers the minute you step out your door, move here. If you like the idea of seeing your mayor at the post office and calling him by his nickname instead of "Mayor So-and-So, move to Leonardtown.

There.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by cariblue
Example of subsituting-Pier 1 instead of Pottery Barn. I don't feel limited at all. What's the "real thing", anyway?

Anyone who thinks he needs "better" places to spend his money is the one with issues. That's no better than the HS cheerleader that has to have the latest fashion to impress her girlfriends. Sad. Oh, btw...I paid a visit to a pottery barn when I was up in your neck of the woods. I was quite curious what all the hoopla was. I was quite disappointed. I kept asking myself, "Is this it?". I've seen half the stuff they carry at other stores for half the price. If you want to throw your money around, that's fine. But, that's not how most of America lives. Pat yourself on the back. Your rich.

Oh, are you suggesting that the clothes I wear, purchased at JCPenney or Belks aren't decent? No, surely you wouldn't.

CD', DVD's...No, we don't have that great of a selection, but I'd rather sit at my computer and order them on line than rub shoulders with some of the city scum I've seen in those places. Makes my skin crawl just thinking about it. Some of those city folk smell like they bathe once a week.

Restaurants: You must not have gotten out much. No, we don't have all of the restaurants you have, but we do have some nice places to dine.

Road construction: In heavily populated areas the road construction goes on forever, all over the place. When our main road is finished, most of the road construction will be finished, not just moved to another location.

The water: I can take it or leave it. It's not the ocean.

What we do have in southern md is more than enough to make most down to earth folks feel comfortable. When we decide to splurge and spend some big bucks, we make a weekend event out of it and go to Arundal Mills Mall to shop, or DC to take in a show and/or cruise the museums. We head down to Va Bch to eat at our favorite restaurant.

I think it's really unfair to try to paint an undesirable picture of a place just because it didn't suit you personally.

I wasn't painting a bad picture of somd. You'll notice I didn't say a word until the questionw as asked - What is somd missong. I answered it. If you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question.

And you can ask Ken about it (snicker), but it was shown awhile back that others talk about pottery barn more that I do. Besides, the question was asked what was missing from somd, and I did miss that one. I apologize.

As for buying clothes at the pennys and belk not being nice... Yea... That is exactly what I was saying... Those places suck... Period. If they were "normal" sized stores, then they may be ok. But they are half the size of what they should be. You might be able to find some decent things there, but the selection is very small. But hey, as long as you stay inside your bimmer all the time nobody will ever know :neener: :biggrin:

RangerJohn

Wow! Do I detect some hate and discontent here? You cannot compare the Tidewater area with here. Each has their own charms, and each their own warts. After one commute in Va Beach/Norfolk I took back all the bad things I ever thought of traffic in San Diego and helLA! But all the folks coming down 4/5/235 I'm sure complain about the traffic as well. I live south of Gate 3, so it has never been an issue for me.

The homes are more secluded in SOMD than in VB/Chesapeake/Norfolk, (I can speak with authority, I own one in each place now). Each is nice in its own way. Tidewater has the shopping malls, SOMD has the Amish markets and crafts. St Mary's Summer concerts have provided a lot of entertainment during the summers.

Jobs do pay better at Pax than in Norfolk on the average, and since NAVAIR has moved in, property values have increased tremendously. While my company has decided to move me from Pax to Va Beach, it is because of the work I did at Pax that got me promoted. And it was a hard decision to pull up stakes and leave....we took in what SOMD had to offer with an open mind....relocating here from SoCal was sometimes shocking, sometimes humourous, but the bottomline is that we are awfully glad that we came here.

newcomer

Does "L-town" refer to Leonardtown? If I were thinking about buying a house in that area, would that be a smart move? Any special housing areas to avoid/look at???

Thanks!

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by RangerJohn

The homes are more secluded in SOMD than in VB/Chesapeake/Norfolk, (I can speak with authority, I own one in each place now). Each is nice in its own way.

This is actually slowly changing. Look at some of the new neighborhoods being built in somd. They are beginning to pack them together so that builders can get more bang for the buck. Just like Va. Beach or anywhere else, it is all about the money. depending on what you can afford, you can have plenty of land or a postage stamp. For example, my wife's grandmother lives on 50 acres in Va. Beach. My wife's parents live in a neighborhood in Va. Beach very similar to the ones in somd.

ptbrien

Livin' for the Dream
Relocate

I am also from Rochester originally. Weather is much better here than Rochester. The general lifestyle is slower. It is a nice place to raise kids because you have a smaller town atmosphere, but there are TONS of things to do in DC or Baltimore (very close). Best of luck moving down here. Drop a line for some RAchester chat.

Hello6

Princess of Mean
Originally posted by newcomer
Does "L-town" refer to Leonardtown? If I were thinking about buying a house in that area, would that be a smart move?

Yes, it's Leonardtown. I think it'd be a smart move. As for areas to avoid, the area adjacent (I think it's off to the left and behind the playground) is kinda shady. Had unruly teens running through the schoolyard late at night on their way home. (I was walking the hounds at the time and the teens with toddlers in tow screamed and ran like ninnies)

pavloveia

Quality of Life

I'm also new to the area--6 months. You should be able to rent a nice place here for that money. I disagree about the # of eating places here from a previous reply. The choices are pretty slim once you move beyond the typical fast food places--McDonald's, Burger King, etc. You have to go up to Waldorf--where the mall is, before you can actually say you have a variety of restaurants to choose from. It's a rural atmosphere down here--very nice, but definitely limited in what it has to offer in shopping. (The Sears hardware store is very limited--my boyfriend won't even bother going in there.) LOTS of traffic--people connected with DC. I've heard from people who have lived here awhile that the rural atmosphere they sought when first moving down here is rapidly evaporating as DC commuters move in. I'm originally from Syracuse and if you're used to Rochester, you're going to find yourself wanting from what you were used to there. I like it here, but I do miss alot of what was available in Central NY. Good luck on your move! :dance:

newcomer

Well, as I'm one of those looking to relocate to the area and everyone seems to have an opinion, let me tell you what my family and I are interested in:

1) A "quiet" atmoshpere where family is important and "who's wearing what" is low on the priority list.

2) Shopping is available but NOT on every corner. I'd be happy with an hour or less drive.

3) McDonald's is a possibility when I just can't think of what to fix for dinner.

4) Schools are OK and homeschooling is welcomed.

5) Drugs and crime are at a low "normal" level where I don't have to worry at every stop I make.

6) Church involvement and volunteering is a way of life.

With all that said, would somd work for us? I'm guessing "yes" from what I've read. Any input? Now the $20,000 question...WHERE to live? Any leads--do they even exist for a managable price!--"in town" older homes?

As always, appreciate everyone's input! I'm not meaning to spark an ugly debate... :crazy:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by newcomer
Well, as I'm one of those looking to relocate to the area and everyone seems to have an opinion, let me tell you what my family and I are interested in:

1) A "quiet" atmoshpere where family is important and "who's wearing what" is low on the priority list.

2) Shopping is available but NOT on every corner. I'd be happy with an hour or less drive.

3) McDonald's is a possibility when I just can't think of what to fix for dinner.

4) Schools are OK and homeschooling is welcomed.

5) Drugs and crime are at a low "normal" level where I don't have to worry at every stop I make.

6) Church involvement and volunteering is a way of life.

With all that said, would somd work for us? I'm guessing "yes" from what I've read. Any input? Now the $20,000 question...WHERE to live? Any leads--do they even exist for a managable price!--"in town" older homes?

As always, appreciate everyone's input! I'm not meaning to spark an ugly debate... :crazy:
1) That’s pretty much it.
2) Yep, available.
3) There are others, but with a countywide population in the 80,000 range, it isn’t like the number in the cities.
4) Yep
5) Yep
6) Yep

“in town” is kind of a misnomer for this area. In St. Mary’s, Leonardtown is the only town. Occasionally a place will become available in town but not often. There are a lot of communities throughout the county. Personally, the Lexington Park/Great Mills congested portions are the only that I would avoid. As to available houses, it is a hunt. More and more are moving into the county and supply is short. Maybe a repossession or foreclosure sale would be a place to find something. We used to have a few working for realtors on the site, maybe they could help out.

USNavyWife

I've never done a quote before, hope I'm doing this right....

After one commute in Va Beach/Norfolk I took back all the bad things I ever thought of traffic in San Diego

Ok, just wanted to say that maybe you haven't been to SD in a while, b/c the traffic is terrible. Dh has to leave 1 1/2 hrs early to go 15 min away. They are building new highways, and have all these plans to try and reduce the congestion. Also, not sure if you know, but some guy just recently got knocked off the Coronado Bridge and died.