NHL is back!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I remember thinking it was a legitimate call, but certainly one that could have been overlooked if that's how things were being called all game. I missed most of the game due to work, only tuning in about 2 minutes before that play, so I have no context of how the game was being reffed up to that point. You just want consistancy throughout the game, whether they're calling it tight or letting 'em play.

I have no problem with the call. The ref called it right away and it was consistent as far as I am concerned based on how they call it these days as well as how they were calling this game. I simply didn't know the rule on this sort of play where a clear scoring chance is developing.

I like the game much today better than 20 year ago where it was one non stop rugby scrum and only truly elite guys could get away. But, I do catch myself all the time reacting to calls; "THAT'S a HOOK?" or "THAT'S INTERFERENCE???"

I grew up thinking Rod Langway embodied proper defense where you just rubbed people out, whether they had the puck or not, and a real hook usually involved getting splinters removed.

Baz

This. ------------------>
I have no problem with the call. The ref called it right away and it was consistent as far as I am concerned based on how they call it these days as well as how they were calling this game. I simply didn't know the rule on this sort of play where a clear scoring chance is developing.

I like the game much today better than 20 year ago where it was one non stop rugby scrum and only truly elite guys could get away. But, I do catch myself all the time reacting to calls; "THAT'S a HOOK?" or "THAT'S INTERFERENCE???"

I grew up thinking Rod Langway embodied proper defense where you just rubbed people out, whether they had the puck or not, and a real hook usually involved getting splinters removed.

:buddies:

It IS funny to watch old highlights/games from, well, as you said, even as recent as the '90s. You can't believe all the interference, holding, slashing, and hooking (water skiing) those guys got away with, let alone all the open ice hits to the head that were just part of the game back then. :lol:

Guys like Scott Stevens, Ulf Sammuelsson, Kaspairitis, Langway, etc. wouldn't fit well in the current NHL, unless they totally changed their game.

Hank

my war
I just hope they can force the Penns to a game 7.

:evil:

A lot of good story lines for the Pitt/Bruins series...

Jarome Iginla trade (supposed to go to Boston, but went to Pitt)

Jagr - Plays for Bruins now

Matt Cooke's dirty hit that ####ed up Savard a few years ago

Should be some tight games. All 3 they played this year were decided by a goal.... All 3 in Pitt's favor.

JoeR

A lot of good story lines for the Pitt/Bruins series...

Jarome Iginla trade (supposed to go to Boston, but went to Pitt)

Jagr - Plays for Bruins now

Matt Cooke's dirty hit that ####ed up Savard a few years ago

Should be some tight games. All 3 they played this year were decided by a goal.... All 3 in Pitt's favor.

Sorry Hank, but you got the Iginla trade thing wrong. How was he supposed to go to Boston when he had final say on any trades? He chose Pittsburgh.

Hank

my war
Sorry Hank, but you got the Iginla trade thing wrong. How was he supposed to go to Boston when he had final say on any trades? He chose Pittsburgh.

ok... so, I worded it wrong... He had them thinking he was going there.

Baz

ok... so, I worded it wrong... He had them thinking he was going there.

Calgary's management had a handshake deal in place with Boston initially. Guess they should have asked Iginla before they made that deal.

Hank

my war
Calgary's management had a handshake deal in place with Boston initially. Guess they should have asked Iginla before they made that deal.

Either way it would have been a win-win.... Now we will see if he made the right choice...

Hank

my war
Well... I would say that Boston made quite a statement! In other news, Crosby is still a douche!

Baz

Well... I would say that Boston made quite a statement!

Boston played a very strong road game, and Rask stole it for them. They won't get all those saves (and posts) every game.

Looking forward to tonight's game.