Night Clubs

I would say clubs in southern md are:

• They have to do, its all we got

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Hell no! We need a good multi-venue club!

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • Don't mess with our bars! I like to get drunk and fight

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Close them all!

Votes: 14 29.2%

• Total voters

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Re: Music 101

Originally posted by Aimhigh2000
Ok, I see we need some music education.

descriptions of headbanging noise aren't gonna make me like it :shrug:

if so many peeps felt the way you do, there'd be something down here to fit the bill ... apparently, you are in the minority. :shrug:

Aimhigh2000

Minority

Yep, I already am seein's how I am a gay redneck. But that hasn't stopped me. Just cuz I don't drink Bud or Bud Lite and play softball. All ya need is a Thurs, Fri, and Saturday nite. I don't need at 50,000 sq ft club, that wouldn't fly, but a smaller venue just might. And who wouldn't want to go see a good concert? the 9:30 club and Nation are both multi use venues, nothing says that you couldn't have a country band come and play. I'd even have Southern Winds as the opener. And where does this "headbanging" idea come from? Heavy metal died in the 80s. Well for most people they did, southern md and Colonial Beach might be exceptions.....LOL......This isn't head banging music, this is dance til ya drop, sweat yer azz off and have a good time music

Aimhigh2000

oh well

That is his issue, I am not afraid of haters, maybe he has doubts about himself, but that is not for me to decide, and believe it or not, I may already know him. I do know a lot of people in the county, so it wouldn't surprise me if I did. Besides, if it weren't for gay people, this would be a really boring election year LOL. Anywhoo, the music would still be good.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Re: Minority

Yep, I already am seein's how I am a gay redneck. But that hasn't stopped me. Just cuz I don't drink Bud or Bud Lite and play softball. All ya need is a Thurs, Fri, and Saturday nite. I don't need at 50,000 sq ft club, that wouldn't fly, but a smaller venue just might. And who wouldn't want to go see a good concert? the 9:30 club and Nation are both multi use venues, nothing says that you couldn't have a country band come and play. I'd even have Southern Winds as the opener. And where does this "headbanging" idea come from? Heavy metal died in the 80s. Well for most people they did, southern md and Colonial Beach might be exceptions.....LOL......This isn't head banging music, this is dance til ya drop, sweat yer azz off and have a good time music
Now something like that could fly. A multi-use venue like the 9:30 club wouldn't be a bad idea. They have awesome bands that come out and play. But I think that diversity would be the key for it to succeed. I don't think a club would do well if it were strictly techno, industrial, what have you

CowGirlUp

Yeee hawww
Personally I can't handle a crowd either, Ehesef know that. Her and I...don't do crowds very well. I won't even go to the Rail on a Friday night cause so many darn people in there. I seriously don't see the point or fun in going somewhere when you can't even dance cause it's so crowded. It just seems pointless to me.... :shrug:

I can have just as much fun at Dew Drop, drunk...dancing to Bluegrass, then going to a club every weekend. Call me old an old 21 year old Bingo player if you want...but that is just my opinion. I play Bingo & go to clubs.... what’s your beef???

I understand where you are coming from though....some people just enjoy that scene...I just don't think the majority of Southern Maryland does. Everyone is entitled to an opinion....hey I say go for it and try to open a club like that up. I can say...."Club New York" in Callaway they are trying to fly that idea...and they aren't doing all that great of business. Then again it is in the middle of Rt. 249...

Aimhigh2000

Club New York

Club New York is far from being a real club......I don't even know why they even dared call it Club New York, it is nothing like those clubs. What I am thinking about is not like the Rail either, believe me, there would be plenty of room to move, I don't believe in being packed in like sardines either. And definitely a diverse club. Having bands come in, all types mind you, like the 9:30 would be the base business, the other parties would be the weekenders. But, I don't like going to these local bars, with the guys gettin all falling down drunk, and then starting fights because they thought someone looked at their girl.......The real fight would be getting it to be 18 to enter, 21 to drink. There is no problem with that at other towns and cities I have been too, I wonder why we in St. Mary's still have issues with that.:confused:

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Re: Club New York

The real fight would be getting it to be 18 to enter, 21 to drink. There is no problem with that at other towns and cities I have been too, I wonder why we in St. Mary's still have issues with that.:confused:
There are no issues with that, it's at the discretion of the owner of the establishment.

Aimhigh2000

ABC

But it is trying to get the ultra conservative Alcohol Beverage Board to grant you a license that is the trick. Funny how some things work. I wonder if the power of the White House could influence them.....

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Re: ABC

But it is trying to get the ultra conservative Alcohol Beverage Board to grant you a license that is the trick. Funny how some things work. I wonder if the power of the White House could influence them.....
The politics that go on between the liquor board and businesses is ridiculous. One member took over ownership of a bar yesterday, I sure hope he has already retired from the liquor board. Its not that hard to get a license granted, it's keeping it thats that problem.

redskinsfan1980

Re: This is why southern maryland fails

OMG living hell. I knew growing up here was a nightmare, I never thought it would still be a nightmare. People, there is life out there!!!! Go out and explore and in some cases, have a mid life crisis! The energy of electronic music, and the ability to dance all night long is amazing! I would gladly take some of ya'll up to the city to experience. I actually reccommend the club Nation. For some of you that feel adventurous, go tonight. It opens at 9pm (open bar from 9-10) But I really wouldn't get there until 11:30pm. And yes, to have real entertainment, you have to pay a lot more than 5 bucks cover. Go to www.buzzlife.com Live hard, Play hard! I think we should try and move southern maryland out of the 70's. I mean, I love Lynard Skynard too, but c'mon.........times have changed:guitar:

This thread took an ugly turn somewhere. Basically, it all comes down to preference, and there's nothing wrong with that. I think that those people who are from this area should probably get out of the county once and awhile and experience different things. However, those who believe St. Mary's is a "hell" should take a step back and see that the county has a lot to offer. These extreme statements one way or the other just don't make sense.

That having been said, I think that younger people definitely do need more entertainment options down here, but I don't think a club along the Nations or Platinum model would go over, if for no other reason than there aren't enough people to support it. Look at what happened to Club V in Waldorf. I personally think the Cancun Cantina model would work better, where there is country music on one side and your regular Top 40 music on the other. However, again, you would need to locate it in an area where it could draw people from St. Mary's, Charles, & Calvert counties, so that it could support itself.

Danzig

Ok since were on the subject of bars in SOMD, WHAT IN THE HELL is up with the "shuffle board bowling" I was at Toot's last night and saw these people who acted like it was some kinda sport or something, I mean they were shaking their fist, giving high fives, and yelling like they was at a doing something that required talent. I think it was a league or something. :confused:

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Originally posted by Danzig
Ok since were on the subject of bars in SOMD, WHAT IN THE HELL is up with the "shuffle board bowling" I was at Toot's last night and saw these people who acted like it was some kinda sport or something, I mean they were shaking their fist, giving high fives, and yelling like they was at a doing something that required talent. I think it was a league or something. :confused:
:twitch: I was at Toot's last night too...

Last night was playoffs or the championship or some such nonsense. They do really get into that. I like it, and will "shoot" a game every once in a while, but I can't see myself on a league...

nomoney

dont you be dissen that thur shuffle board.....you gonna find yerself hit upside the head with a horse shoe and drug into a corn field somewhere..........

Danzig

Re: Re: ABC

Originally posted by Ehesef
The politics that go on between the liquor board and businesses is ridiculous. One member took over ownership of a bar yesterday, I sure hope he has already retired from the liquor board. Its not that hard to get a license granted, it's keeping it thats that problem.

He retired about a month ago.

Aimhigh2000

Top 40

Love your opinions, but I would have to say no to country and no to Top 40. There is Catamarans and Cadillac Jacks and what not for that. There are also some good knock-about-joints like Friendly's Tavern in Great Mills, Hills Club in Mechanicsville, I am not sure of club V, heard of it, but never made it to see what they were doing right or wrong. I particularly do not like Platinum myself, far to over rated. Nation is of course my "home base" and it may be worth a shot, just not as big. Lord knows I don't even believe a club the size of a city block could make it here. I would even be willing to grab an old warehouse up in Mechanicsville. I just think a real progressive boost in the stale entertainment is needed.

And no shuffle board bowling, darts, pool, or horse shoes ROFL

Danzig

I never saw Toots go in front of the board for all the construction they did out back, He may a problem this summer.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Re: Top 40

Love your opinions, but I would have to say no to country and no to Top 40. There is Catamarans and Cadillac Jacks and what not for that. There are also some good knock-about-joints like Friendly's Tavern in Great Mills, Hills Club in Mechanicsville, I am not sure of club V, heard of it, but never made it to see what they were doing right or wrong. I particularly do not like Platinum myself, far to over rated. Nation is of course my "home base" and it may be worth a shot, just not as big. Lord knows I don't even believe a club the size of a city block could make it here. I would even be willing to grab an old warehouse up in Mechanicsville. I just think a real progressive boost in the stale entertainment is needed.

And no shuffle board bowling, darts, pool, or horse shoes ROFL
Well if you were to make this ^ a reality, I'm sorry to say I don't think it would succeed.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
I never saw Toots go in front of the board for all the construction they did out back, He may a problem this summer.
Sally (one of the owners) told me that they are not putting a bar out there. You get your drink inside and walk out there, which is no different than what they do for horseshoes. I don't see a problem with that. How would that create a problem? Is it because they will have bands playing out there?

Last edited: