Night Clubs

I would say clubs in southern md are:

• They have to do, its all we got

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Hell no! We need a good multi-venue club!

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • Don't mess with our bars! I like to get drunk and fight

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Close them all!

Votes: 14 29.2%

• Total voters

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Re: Re: Re: Top 40

Originally posted by cariblue
I think it would.
You really think that there's enough of a market for a club featuring techno, industrial, etc.? It just seems to me that AH is excluding some of the things that draw people out on a Friday or Saturday night...

redskinsfan1980

Re: Top 40

Originally posted by Aimhigh2000
Love your opinions, but I would have to say no to country and no to Top 40. There is Catamarans and Cadillac Jacks and what not for that. There are also some good knock-about-joints like Friendly's Tavern in Great Mills, Hills Club in Mechanicsville, I am not sure of club V, heard of it, but never made it to see what they were doing right or wrong. I particularly do not like Platinum myself, far to over rated. Nation is of course my "home base" and it may be worth a shot, just not as big. Lord knows I don't even believe a club the size of a city block could make it here. I would even be willing to grab an old warehouse up in Mechanicsville. I just think a real progressive boost in the stale entertainment is needed.

And no shuffle board bowling, darts, pool, or horse shoes ROFL

Club V was a club in Waldorf that didn't make it. See, you can't get too "progressive" in Southern Maryland, because I believe it is by nature a conservative area, so you've got to take what's popular and improve upon it if you want to succeed. I know that there is Catamarans & Cadillac Jacks, but I think a new club could improve upon those. I've been to clubs from DC to Baltimore to Ocean City, and the only model I can think that would work is that Cancun Cantina model, with both a "country music" area and the "Top 40" area. The country music area would draw both an older and younger crowd with line-dancing, two-step, and different types of country music. the Top 40 area would draw the younger crowds. Line-dancing lessons during the week would draw those who don't like crowds. See, I only think the Top 40 idea would work, because I just don't think most people in this area would like Techno, Trance, International, etc. You need a more diverse crowd for that than you'll get in Southern Md. I just think this "mixed" concept is the best chance for success in our area. Hmmm, if I were only an enterprising businessman... :)

Last edited:

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Top 40

He makes a valid point. There are plenty of bars that cater to the beer drinkers, pool shooters, bar fly's, and happy hour chatters. But there is nothing for the people who want to go out dancing to something besides country music or top 40 DJ's that play hip-hop or rap. It's old. Yes, I do think there's a market for it. College students, hot off the press young engineers, young single sailors and twenty something gals that wanna' dance instead of watching Bucky and Ray fight after midnight every weekend.
It's just somewhere that I wouldn't go. I don't know of any of my friends that would go. But if he honestly thinks theres a market for it (which there very well could be, I don't know everyone) then he should give it a shot.

cityboy

????????

Ok lets get something straight up in here. I was born in this county, I was raised here, and moved up to DC when I was 18. I just moved back here a month ago (Mechanicsville). Thank God I got out of this place and saw what the world has to offer. If I stayed here I guess I to would think that Toot's and Dew Drop are the greatest, I guess I would also think that Wal-Mart clothes are in fashion, but thank god I moved to DC and found out that its ok to dress decent (clean clothes that fit and are in style) and its ok to go to a really nice club with 3 dance floors, pumping bass, a million different bars to get your drink on, and they stay open until 5 or 6 so you have enough time to sober up and not kill anybody while your on your way home. To me a 15 dollar cover is cheaper than getting a DWI or getting in an accident because you were drunk. It seems that peole who don't like going to those types of clubs don't know what they're missing. Just get the lead out of you a** and drive up to DC and have a good time. You will come back down to Southern Maryland wishing there was something like it closer you wouldn't have to drive so far to have a great time. There is a market for a club down here that plays house and drum-n-base. I drive up every other weekend and see tons of people from down here partying. I also go to private parties in St. Mary's with Dj's and there are a lot of people that go to these parties, so I think if you opened up a club like that down here it would have to be a little smaller than one in DC but it could still be successful. That's just what I have to say. Don't take any offense if you like Wal-Mart or Toot's I was just trying to make a point. By the way I'm Gay to.
(We're queer we're here get used to it):deadhorse

Last edited:

Danzig

Originally posted by Ehesef
Sally (one of the owners) told me that they are not putting a bar out there. You get your drink inside and walk out there, which is no different than what they do for horseshoes. I don't see a problem with that. How would that create a problem?

rules go something like this.

just cause you got a ball field or horseshoes out back don't mean you can have people drinking out back all the time. They even state the amount of time you can drink outside before and after a "scheduled" event. Did they have a place to drink outback before? As far as construction, you can't add on to a bar without the boards aproval of your floor plan. That goes for outside stuff also like horseshoes.

Last edited:

Aimhigh2000

Boot Scootin Boogie

Oh, no doubt I could open up a nice "country club" as well. I have no doubt in my mind that a nice venue like that could do very well, it is also on my drawing board. But I am focused on the money make, St. Mary's College, and yes, the younger audience. There are so many places for the "older crowd" and I use that phrase very lightly. I am like city boy, I left, traveled the world, and came back. I agree that this is not the kind of place for everyone, that is not what I am out to do. I am targeting a specific market, a niche, because growing up here, the "youngins" were always left out, well, I think we should have our own place to call home. :cheers:

Danzig

Re: ????????

Originally posted by cityboy
they stay open until 5 or 6 so you have enough time to sober up and not kill anybody while your on your way home.

so I think if you opened up a club like that down here it would have to be a little smaller than one in DC but it could still be successful

Bars in St. Marys HAVE TO CLOSE (be empty) by 2:00am and 2:30 on Sat. night. You can get a permit to stay open all night on newyears eve but you must provide free food (and not chips, real food)

Aimhigh2000

Touche!

:clap: I just wonder how this application would go in front of the BOCC. I think it could actually make some exciting viewing on Channel 10 or 12 LOL

redskinsfan1980

Re: Boot Scootin Boogie

Oh, no doubt I could open up a nice "country club" as well. I have no doubt in my mind that a nice venue like that could do very well, it is also on my drawing board. But I am focused on the money make, St. Mary's College, and yes, the younger audience. There are so many places for the "older crowd" and I use that phrase very lightly. I am like city boy, I left, traveled the world, and came back. I agree that this is not the kind of place for everyone, that is not what I am out to do. I am targeting a specific market, a niche, because growing up here, the "youngins" were always left out, well, I think we should have our own place to call home. :cheers:

I get what you're saying, but we don't live in a dense and diversely populated area, and if you're niche market is too narrowly defined, then you're just not going to generate enough revenue. For instance, I get the feeling that we've been dancing around (at least until cityboy made his bold proclamation!) the idea of a place that gay people would like to go to. That's a very small target in an already small market. I'm not even sure MOST younger people in this area would go to a techno club, like you'd find in DC. The club would definitely need to bring in a wider target group.

cityboy

County Laws 101

I know that Danzig, that's exactly the reason why county folk need to go. I don't understand why everyone goes to these bars get drunk as a skunk and then get kicked out just as there buzz is kicking in. Your asking for accidents. The law is backwards down here, in Maryland in general. But you could still have a club that opened at 9 and closes at 2, it wouldn't be as much fun. Then what you do is open up an after hours lounge right next to the club, but on different property. So after a hard night clubbing all night you can go right next door where alcohol can't be served but with a DJ still spinning. You could dance, or sit and talk with friends, and it would serve water, juices, and other non alcoholic beverages. I think that would be really nice, and it would attract city residents.:dance: :clap:

Danzig

oh yea, one more thing about Toots. Why do they have a fricking jukebox that has 100 CDs in it when all they play back to back to back to back......... is that "i love this bar" and the kid rock with s. crow song.

Aimhigh2000

Gay or straight

Not really. This is not about a place for gay people per se. I go to Cubik almost every Friday, I hardly ever go to Velvet I am a trance/ drum and bass fan personally. What I am after is a progressive club for the younger crowd. As far as these blue-laws, with enough political muscle, and a the right team of lawyers, the bocc doesn't stand a chance. DC is a perfect model. So is NYC. Now, I know that St. Mary's is not DC or NYC, but on the same token, we don't have to live like Mayberry anymore either.:cheers:

cityboy

Its not a gay thing, Its an everybody thang

I get what you're saying, but we don't live in a dense and diversely populated area, and if you're niche market is too narrowly defined, then you're just not going to generate enough revenue. For instance, I get the feeling that we've been dancing around (at least until cityboy made his bold proclamation!) the idea of a place that gay people would like to go to. That's a very small target in an already small market. I'm not even sure MOST younger people in this area would go to a techno club, like you'd find in DC. The club would definitely need to bring in a wider target group

Even though I'm gay the clubs I go to are straight clubs with some gay people. Clubs like nation are not about being straight or gay its about the music and the fun that happens at these events. Come on people let loose and see where it takes you.:confused:

Aimhigh2000

True

I mean, even Northridge on a Thurday Night is popular with the gay crowd. For me, it is the music and the art of the live DJ. I mean, to be in the DJ booth on a Friday night and seeing 1000 people dancing is an awesome site. Now I know that I would certainly not build something like Nation, lordy no, but a live venue if you have never been can be quite an experience.:getdown:

mainman

Set Trippin
*Disclaimer* I have not read this entire tread.

So if it has been addressed, so what?

Aren't what you guys are talking about a supply and demand thing? If there was "that" much of a demand for these types of clubs, wouldn't they be here already? :confused:

Aimhigh2000

Supply and Demand

I think the problem is, is because those that have tried, really didn't know the market. Club New York or what ever is a prime example. I think that no one with a complete game plan has been willing to invest in it. The way I see it, with the success of the Calvert Marine Museum Concerts, there is no reason why you couldn't build a venue where more regular concerts could be held. If people are willing to drive to Merriweather, Nissan, MCI center, then I think they would go to a 5,000 seat capacity club to see a show. I have seen people promote their clubs as DC or NYC style, and these are people that have never been to any of these places. It is all about timing, getting a buzz going, and then like Nike says, "Just Do It.":cheers:

redskinsfan1980

Re: True

I mean, even Northridge on a Thurday Night is popular with the gay crowd. For me, it is the music and the art of the live DJ. I mean, to be in the DJ booth on a Friday night and seeing 1000 people dancing is an awesome site. Now I know that I would certainly not build something like Nation, lordy no, but a live venue if you have never been can be quite an experience.:getdown:

I obviously took this thread where I didn't intend to go. I never meant to imply that straight people and gay people couldn't hang out together, because that's not true. What I did imply is that a lot of gay people like clubs like Nations, where the music is more diverse and there is a different atmosphere. I just don't believe that most people down here, younger or older, would be into that type of club.

K

Kain99

How do you know how much of a demand you have for something like this without opening one?
Funny as it might seem... Before a bank will give you a loan for any business you need to prove demand. Of course a poll like this one won't hold much weight but he's got the right idea. :biggrin:

redskinsfan1980

Re: Supply and Demand

I think the problem is, is because those that have tried, really didn't know the market. Club New York or what ever is a prime example. I think that no one with a complete game plan has been willing to invest in it. The way I see it, with the success of the Calvert Marine Museum Concerts, there is no reason why you couldn't build a venue where more regular concerts could be held. If people are willing to drive to Merriweather, Nissan, MCI center, then I think they would go to a 5,000 seat capacity club to see a show. I have seen people promote their clubs as DC or NYC style, and these are people that have never been to any of these places. It is all about timing, getting a buzz going, and then like Nike says, "Just Do It.":cheers:

You're absolutely right; most people don't know the market, and most don't know what a true club experience is like in the city. However, it is all simply about supply and demand, and there just isn't the demand. Darn, that business education did teach me something!

Aimhigh2000

Redskin Fan

No, you didn't get off track at all. But, Nation does have a "gay night" which is Saturdays, and "straight night" on Fridays. In actuality, it can make a big difference in the business that you do because the musical styles vary greatly between the two. Even still, no reason why everyone can't play on the same playground.