Online Dating is a Joke!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I don't see why in order to comment in a thread I must also engage in your squabbles with others on here.
You're not the only one here, and your issues aren't the only ones that matter.
But you do have a stick up your butt if you think the reason you get in fights online is because of a hive mentality.
I'm not aware of a hive mind mentality over every single issue.

I get it too. Even from friends. Even from DeeJay. It's part of being a grown-up.

But here's where you're not seeing this - I have made *dozens* of friends on here, many of whom have gone on and left the group but with whom I am still engaged with and participate in my life.
What is different is -

We BECAME FRIENDS - online. Some people, like DeeJay for example - the time between meeting her for the first time and being friends online - was *years*.
Many of these friends, they've come to my home - sometimes, for Thanksgiving dinner. I've been invited to be a part of their wedding - or just to attend. And they were at mine.
I'm comforted friends with the death of their loved ones and helped them with their homes and issues afterward; been through divorces and break-ups; celebrated the births of
their children and have had their kids play with mine. One helped get a new job - and helped me when I lost it. I've helped some move - gone to ball games with them - gone on road trips - and so on.
Done all the things that good friends DO. And those who no longer post - we're still in touch.

All of whom - I met here first. And I 100% guarantee you, we do not agree on all issues.

It sounds like you don't have ANY here. That's a shame.
But you do have a stick up your butt if you think the fault is everyone else.
That's a child's response.

Well said. :clap:

MiddleGround

I don't see why in order to comment in a thread I must also engage in your squabbles with others on here.

And yet, that is EXACTLY what you did. You just decided to ignore what actually started the "squabble" and move right to engaging me. Sorry but, I did not read your reply past this point.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
There’s plenty of fish in the ocean, but you know what else there’s a lot of in the ocean?

Trash, the ocean is full of trash too.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It sounds like you don't have ANY here. That's a shame.

Perhaps if he'd stop acting like such a nozzle, he'd have friends.

We've had a number of people do that over the years: come on here being a jerk to everyone, then crying because nobody likes them. :crazy:

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
And yet, that is EXACTLY what you did. You just decided to ignore what actually started the "squabble" and move right to engaging me. Sorry but, I did not read your reply past this point.

If you don't like something I post, feel free to ignore it!

It's what I do with most of yours! :shrug:

SamSpade

We've had a number of people do that over the years: come on here being a jerk to everyone, then crying because nobody likes them. :crazy:

I guess I must have learned something different from the years I spent posting on Compuserve - Prodigy - AOL - Usenet - Delphi - and various Web BBS's - before I ever came here.
Because somehow I never managed to piss off so many people so quickly.
But it might be other things too.

One newsgroup I posted in, years ago, had people arguing pretty nastily about - something. Honestly, don't remember, although one thing I remember
about Usenet - no matter WHAT topic the group was dedicated to, you could BET there was an ongoing fight between two sides - Star Wars or Star Trek,
Microsoft or Apple (or Linux), street bikes, mountain bikes, kung-fu or tae kwon do, Jew or Palestinian, Democrat or Republican, hard sci-fi or fantasy,
faith or works. Just name it - there were people ready to come to blows on ANYTHING.

One guy woke up to find someone who disagreed with him online had driven up the coast to riddle his front window with bullets.
Because of an online argument with a *stranger*. What I learned was to be careful, try and say your peace and leave a thread once
it gets personal.

It's hard enough to make a point without someone taking it the wrong way, but I think it's always a good idea to not get too personally involved.
Not with strangers.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Compuserve - Prodigy - AOL - Usenet - Delphi - and various Web BBS's -

I remember those.

Compuserve was $$$$$
Prodigy disconnected continuously
AOL was OK but quickly turned into the Walmart of the online world.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's hard enough to make a point without someone taking it the wrong way, but I think it's always a good idea to not get too personally involved.
Not with strangers.

True, but it helps to not come off the top rope in every single thread. In the immortal words of Jim Rome: have a take and don't suck.

MiddleGround

I do not particularly care if anyone 'internet likes me'

Also, I do come on here and attempt to have polite and decent conversations with the occasional debate about topics. I have attempted multiple times to offer opinions and participate in conversations. I don't log on here just to aggrivate and troll people. What I do find is that no matter what is said or what thread it is, it is usually... at some point... taken over with a hijack, insults, or piling on. The same cast of characters are to blame just about every time. Nothing gets done about it. Wash/Rinse/Repeat.

If I offended anyone then i apologize as it is never my intent to do so... unprovoked. It would just be nice to be able to participate in a good conversation on this discussion forum without it always going down the rabbit hole due to political opinions, jokesters, and those who offer little to no substance in the discussion.

End of Rant. Carry on...

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I do not particularly care if anyone 'internet likes me'

Also, I do come on here and attempt to have polite and decent conversations with the occasional debate about topics. I have attempted multiple times to offer opinions and participate in conversations. I don't log on here just to aggrivate and troll people. What I do find is that no matter what is said or what thread it is, it is usually... at some point... taken over with a hijack, insults, or piling on. The same cast of characters are to blame just about every time. Nothing gets done about it. Wash/Rinse/Repeat.

If I offended anyone then i apologize as it is never my intent to do so... unprovoked. It would just be nice to be able to participate in a good conversation on this discussion forum without it always going down the rabbit hole due to political opinions, jokesters, and those who offer little to no substance in the discussion.

End of Rant. Carry on...

You were a total and complete jerk in the motorcycle thread. :coffee:

MiddleGround

You were a total and complete jerk in the motorcycle thread. :coffee:

Because I did not bow to what I considered a lie based on something I see every single day.. multiple times a day? It was my opinion and I stood by it. Just because I thought what you (via your work friend) was saying was BS makes me a "complete jerk?" I do not remember personally insulting you. But, I am therefore a "complete jerk" because I did not 100% buy your friends story?

Is all of that right?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Because I did not bow to what I considered a lie based on something I see every single day.. multiple times a day? It was my opinion and I stood by it. Just because I thought what you (via your work friend) was saying was BS makes me a "complete jerk?" I do not remember personally insulting you. But, I am therefore a "complete jerk" because I did not 100% buy your friends story?

Is all of that right?

Perhaps you don't realize this, but you come off as a very condescending person. The picture of you I have in my minds eye is that you're an old man Murray yelling at the kids to get off of your lawn. :tantrum

MiddleGround

Perhaps you don't realize this, but you come off as a very condescending person. The picture of you I have in my minds eye is that you're an old man Murray yelling at the kids to get off of your lawn. :tantrum

I can see what you are saying and you are entitled to whatever it is that you think I am however, you did not answer my question above.

I am really interested in what part of our conversations in the "motorcycle thread" caused you to think I was being a "complete jerk" seeing as I did not agree with the story your friend told. I even indicated that I hoped your friend was OK and recovered quickly. So, was it the fact that I did not immediately agree 100% with the narrative?

I would sincerely like to know.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member

I was thinking Basil Fawlty