Ovie

OldHillcrestGuy

He's a trans-formative player, in my view, meaning given his youth, his physical stature, he's simply built to be a long time player. He's going to be every bit as good at 35 as a Messier type; maybe not the sharp skills and explosive burst, but can still hit, still check, still bang one in or make a pass on the PP when you have to have it, still be a fundamental guy you can build a winner around.

In the mean time, given his youth, they need some more D and, perhaps, a better goalie and they have a good 7 year window, at 23 years of age, to do it with his present level of play, don't they?

Ovie with the long contract, in the future can be like Federov is now to the Caps, a mentor to the young players especially the young Russian players that the Caps seem to have a knack of getting.

OldHillcrestGuy

The one, I think last name started with "V" was very sharp (thats who you're talking about I think), but it also seems like there was one other one that did very good who came up for a game or so. It's nice to know that we have future goaltenders with potential, for sure :yay:

His name is Simeon Varlamov, he was the one who came up for those 2 games, he is having a good year at Hershey 16-5 at the moment and he is only like 21 years old. There is also another one about the same age who is from Europe somewhere in the farm system that they have hopes of making it big cant recall his name at the moment.

Tonights game is a big test, the Devils are hot right now (8 wins in a row)and it looks like they could be figthing us for the number 2 seed in the East as the season progreses.

Black-Francis

I saw many a game in the Cap Center. Don't forget Dino.

1996 Playoffs Game 4.....Lemieux ejected for fighting.......Game ended at 2:30am / 4th overtime period....6,000 of us left in the building.....Nedved scores to win the game for Pittsburgh. Great memory but terrible ending.

Gummie

That Easter morning game! That was my two boys sleeping in our laps in the picture in Sports Illustrated, dreaming either of the Easter Bunny or the Stanley Cup.

Went in to the Capital Club for a cup of coffee while the parking lot cleared out then home to Severn at that time. To bed, got up that afternoon and the Home Team Sports rebroadcast was still on.

Black-Francis

That Easter morning game! That was my two boys sleeping in our laps in the picture in Sports Illustrated, dreaming either of the Easter Bunny or the Stanley Cup.

Went in to the Capital Club for a cup of coffee while the parking lot cleared out then home to Severn at that time. To bed, got up that afternoon and the Home Team Sports rebroadcast was still on.

Yeah....Late eighties...I went to that as well. That was even worse. Game 7 against the Islanders. I forgot how many periods that went but I think it was still going past 1am.

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
1996 Playoffs Game 4.....Lemieux ejected for fighting.......Game ended at 2:30am / 4th overtime period....6,000 of us left in the building.....Nedved scores to win the game for Pittsburgh. Great memory but terrible ending.

I was there, too. I wonder if we saw each other? :buddies:

IrishGal

Stretch's Mom
Indeed. Washington has always been a football town. That's all that has really won there. Now, if some other sports franchise can get on a roll and create a dynasty then the discussion will begin. It's way too early for Washington to be considered a hockey town.

Let me clarify my statement... "believes in Washington as a hockey town"

What I mean by that is that upper management believes that by building a consistent winning franchise, that the sport WILL catch on and the area will become a "hockey town" like Chicago, Detroit, et al.

Does that make it a wee bit more clear?

IrishGal

Stretch's Mom

I was at the Pittsburgh game and the Easter morning game. Was heartbroken both times...I remember walking back to my car feeling like the weight of the world was on my teenaged shoulders. The Easter game, I actually remember having to wipe away tears when the guys left the ice.