Ovie

BuddyLee

Football addict
Let me clarify my statement... "believes in Washington as a hockey town"

What I mean by that is that upper management believes that by building a consistent winning franchise, that the sport WILL catch on and the area will become a "hockey town" like Chicago, Detroit, et al.

Does that make it a wee bit more clear?
It makes it more clear but I thought that was quite apparent without mentioning as much.

If a particular team wins in a certain area it will garner more attention and support. No brainer.

K

kris31280

Say it ain't so!!! What happened? The L.A. Kings!!!
It was an awesome game... came right down to the wire... I thought for sure they were gonna tie it in the last 2 minutes.

From what I saw last night they were having an issue with passing and puck control.

OldHillcrestGuy

Theodore will blow it for the Caps in the playoffs!!!!

I agree, goaltending is our missing link. Johnson may end up out for the year after todays meeting with surgery. Our top prospect the Russian rookie has a knee injury and is out and the other top goaltender rookie is with the team now. I would not be surprised to see him start Saturdays game.
Caps defense is hurting at the moment the way they are playing and dumb penalities. Two games in a row we have given up shorthanded penalities and let the other team go 5 on 3 for extended time.
Im the coach will reem them out after they way they played at next practice. They need to get Alzer the rookie defensemen back up here and fast.
Sure they came back like gangbusters in the third period, but they never should ahve gotten in a hole like that to begin with.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

It was an awesome game... came right down to the wire... I thought for sure they were gonna tie it in the last 2 minutes.

From what I saw last night they were having an issue with passing and puck control.

Not quite an awesome game, more like an awesome 5 minutes :lol:

They gave up too many stupid turnovers, penalties, etc to have expected to win that game. It was great to see them give it their all at the end, though even I had called this one a loss before that 4th goal.

The thing I most noticed was the lack of offensive (and even defensive) aggression. They weren't hardly dumping the puck from what I recall, and got stood up at the blue line too many times. I haven't checked the stats but there was nowhere near enough hitting either. They could have easily worn out the Kings (as was apparent from the rush at the end of the game), but they just didn't play aggressive enough.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
The thing I most noticed was the lack of offensive (and even defensive) aggression. They weren't hardly dumping the puck from what I recall, and got stood up at the blue line too many times. I haven't checked the stats but there was nowhere near enough hitting either. They could have easily worn out the Kings (as was apparent from the rush at the end of the game), but they just didn't play aggressive enough.

I don't know what you call "aggressive" but despite two crappy periods, we still outshot them 45 to 35! And GM has recalled Alzner.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Goal tender isn't the Caps #1 concern as it wasn't last year. The Caps seem to accrue ignorant penalties at the most undesireable times. I've seen it kill them in a few games this year and it took them out the of playoffs swiftly last year.

OldHillcrestGuy

Goal tender isn't the Caps #1 concern as it wasn't last year. The Caps seem to accrue ignorant penalties at the most undesireable times. I've seen it kill them in a few games this year and it took them out the of playoffs swiftly last year.

Goaltending just became there number one concern, Brent Johnson's going to be out 6 to 8 weeks and maybe even longer, I'd be surprise if he makes it back this year. So now we dont have a experienced backup, so it looks like the future is now for our best 2 prospects in the minors once the Russian Varlamov gets his knee better he will proably be the number 1 backup and Neuwirth will go back to the minors. These guys are going to have to get some playing time between now and the playoffs to get that NHL expereince.
I think we will see some changes on the defense, the coach is not going to put up with their lapses on defense hes making a statement with bringing Alzner back up and getting the guy from the Maple Leafs. I expect a really big win tonight like 5 to 2 or something in that area, I hope.

IrishGal

Stretch's Mom
That win against Florida wasn't a sure thing either. I will say this, the FL goaltender did a heck of a job keeping his team in it. The Caps need to STOP with giving up those 5 on 3 situations. Much better job on the forecheck last night though.

Great job again, Mike Green. Now a bit of a break until Wednesday, and I'm sure Boudreau is going to work hard on getting that D back on solid footing and minimize the stupid penalties.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Goaltending just became there number one concern, Brent Johnson's going to be out 6 to 8 weeks and maybe even longer, I'd be surprise if he makes it back this year. So now we dont have a experienced backup, so it looks like the future is now for our best 2 prospects in the minors once the Russian Varlamov gets his knee better he will proably be the number 1 backup and Neuwirth will go back to the minors. These guys are going to have to get some playing time between now and the playoffs to get that NHL expereince.
I think we will see some changes on the defense, the coach is not going to put up with their lapses on defense hes making a statement with bringing Alzner back up and getting the guy from the Maple Leafs. I expect a really big win tonight like 5 to 2 or something in that area, I hope.
You're probably right. They really need to sure up their lackluster mistakes before the playoffs hit off. They can outscore opponents now but it's a whole new game in the playoffs.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Just catching that game against Florida.

What a freakin' penalty kill. Even more so...what a downtown goal from Green.:yahoo: