PA to MD moving HELP

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
PA2MD, you should look at some houses on zillow and trulila, post links to houses you think you might be interested in, and then we can tell you about the neighborhood.

That's a good idea. Agents sell the hell out of these listings and the house looks great, then you find out it's in the middle of a ghetto. There was one house over in Westbury that I was madly in love with, perfect for me and the price was incredible....because it's over by the gangstas and the crime is ridiculous. The listing agent left that part out.

frequentflier

happy to be living
We found our home on Zillow. We drove by a day or so after listing; a family member happened to be at the home and let us tour including the attached in law apartment. (Income!) On an acre, mostly wooded, no neighbors close by, fenced yard (no longer have dogs but definitely a plus!) and since it was an estate sale, they didn't balk at new roof, replacing chimney liner (there was a wood stove which we replaced with a more efficient one) and having the septic pumped.
I would definitely use Zillow again although I don't think we are willing to give up our little piece of heaven yet :)

PA2MD

That is a great idea! Our max that we would like to spend is 410k.. we are open to building as well but that’s harder to see online.. we will have to schedule some time with a builder possibly

These are just a few we are looking at.. I’m not 100 percent sold on any of them to be honest but it is a start! We still have some time to look which is nice and we will rent before we rush in to buy anything we don’t absolutely love.. sorry if it’s too many!!

Last edited:

PA2MD

It is an intense place to work, very controlled and tightly regulated. The old joke was you don't use the rest room without a detailed procedure in hand with a briefing of the procedure and the intended outcome and alternate plans if something different happened.

Your husband must be in Operations, Security or Maintenance correct ?

that is correct! Sounds pretty typical of a nuke plant! Haha

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
These are just a few we are looking at.. I’m not 100 percent sold on any of them to be honest but it is a start! We still have some time to look which is nice and we will rent before we rush in to buy anything we don’t absolutely love.. sorry if it’s too many!!

Others will have their own opinions. Here's mine:

The Solomons one is a keeper.

Skip the two in Great Mills. Don't even tempt yourself by looking at them because the 'hood around them is rough and therefore so are the schools.

I have a generally favorable impression of St. Leonard, but not any real first-hand knowledge except my friend lives near the Melody Lane house and it's really nice over there.

Goldenhawk

Others will have their own opinions. Here's mine:

The Solomons one is a keeper.

Skip the two in Great Mills. Don't even tempt yourself by looking at them because the 'hood around them is rough and therefore so are the schools.

I have a generally favorable impression of St. Leonard, but not any real first-hand knowledge except my friend lives near the Melody Lane house and it's really nice over there.
I'd have to disagree. Cecil Mill and Governor's Mill are both in a nice location, and not very close to "riff raff". That corner of GM is rather nice. There's a fair bit of traffic along Great Mills Rd at evening rush hour, but coming from the base; you'd probably be coming home from the Calvert side via Indian Bridge Road, against all the traffic.

The schools, yeah, not so great.

With all that said, I have to agree with everyone else who said you really ought to avoid NEEDING to cross the bridge daily. That bridge is already pretty old, and will need major work sometime in the not too distant future, and (as has been said) tends to get jammed too easily at just about any time of day. The workaround (Rt 231) is a LOOOOOOONG detour.

xobxdoc

I'm north of the plant and south of Prince Frederick. I have an 8 mile commute to the plant. Your first night of nightshift is the hardest for that drive home. There are some in Ops that commute from Baltimore. That is insane. 3 hours everyday is driving and then there's the 12 hour shift. Move as close to the plant as you can. There is plenty in your range in Port Republic and St. Leonard.

Auntie Biache'

You couldn't pay me to live in Great Mills unless it's well south of Flat Iron Farm. That area of Great Mills, and into Drayden, is nice. That said, you still have school districts to consider, so do you research there, as well. Solomons is always good, HOWEVER, keep in mind that spring/Tiki opening can be very busy, and roads will be closed getting onto parts of the island. I know this particular property isn't on the island, but something to keep in mind. I like St Leonard, but I can't speak for it. I don't know anyone who lives there, and have never heard anything good, or bad. I've driven through and poked around a bit. It looks like a quiet enough, clean enough area. I like the antique mall that's in the town proper, and used to go there a lot. Unless they've recently put up a grocery story, you may have to drive a bit for that, but certainly nothing unreasonable.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
You couldn't pay me to live in Great Mills unless it's well south of Flat Iron Farm. That area of Great Mills, and into Drayden, is nice. That said, you still have school districts to consider, so do you research there, as well. Solomons is always good, HOWEVER, keep in mind that spring/Tiki opening can be very busy, and roads will be closed getting onto parts of the island. I know this particular property isn't on the island, but something to keep in mind. I like St Leonard, but I can't speak for it. I don't know anyone who lives there, and have never heard anything good, or bad. I've driven through and poked around a bit. It looks like a quiet enough, clean enough area. I like the antique mall that's in the town proper, and used to go there a lot. Unless they've recently put up a grocery story, you may have to drive a bit for that, but certainly nothing unreasonable.
I'm not sure the Tiki has the draw is used to after closing for a season or two. New owners took it over. They also run Union Jack's in Annapolis, I believe.

Auntie Biache'

I'm not sure the Tiki has the draw is used to after closing for a season or two. New owners took it over. They also run Union Jack's in Annapolis, I believe.

So, they don't need to close off roads anymore? That's a good thing. I remember the first couple of years we went to Tiki. It was nice, quiet, and not a whole lot of people. It would be nice if it was like that again.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
So, they don't need to close off roads anymore? That's a good thing. I remember the first couple of years we went to Tiki. It was nice, quiet, and not a whole lot of people. It would be nice if it was like that again.
Honestly, I don't know. I haven't been there in a few years. I think the last time I was there was with Chrispy.