Votes: 4 14.3%
  • NO

Votes: 24 85.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...to take and pass science/math, etc.

We spend pizz pots FULL of money on education that we all know does NOT achieve the stated goals of us, the US, being better in the sciences AND having more people in those fields. Any related report proves that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Would you be in favor of paying students to take and pass science classes?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Larry Gude said:

We spend pizz pots FULL of money on education that we all know does NOT achieve the stated goals of us, the US, being better in the sciences AND having more people in those fields. Any related report proves that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I thought parents already did that

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
Not sure. But, I think we should make it mandatory that everyone passes a class designed to give them the capacity to think logically (deductively, systematically and pragmatically) before being given adult priveledges (voting, signing documents, buying alcohol, etc.)

Maybe I'm reaching a bit, but, I don't see the US falling in any way because of science classes. I see the US losing ground in every way because we, as a nation, are using practices that don't make sense and don't work as well as what the rest of the world has been adopting. We've become so focused on what makes people look and feel good, that we've forgotten to look at whether or not something works.

Larry Gude said:

No, because it wouldn't necessarily mean they would put the grade to good use by chosing to work in that field. There would be no "payoff" for the investment.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
kwillia said:
No, because it wouldn't necessarily mean they would put the grade to good use by chosing to work in that field. There would be no "payoff" for the investment.

:yeahthat: Why give them incentive to take classes if they're not going to apply it in some scientific field? There would have to be a lot more conditions on them getting the money before I would even consider saying "yes."

I would rather have somebody in the sciences who loves what they're doing versus someone doing it just for the $$$. :shrug:

Toxick

Splat
Larry Gude said:

There's no options for:
NO MOTHER EFFING WAY IN EFFING HELL IS THAT ANYTHING CLOSE TO SOMETHING RESEMBLING ANYTHING LIKE A GOOD EFFING IDEA, AND WHATEVER RETARD CAME UP WITH THIS IDEA SHOULD BE DRAWN AND EFFING QUARTERED!!one!!eleven!!!!OMFGLOL!!onehundredeleven!!!

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Don't understand why this is a problem. Students that take and pass math and science classes are paid after graduation. Liberal Arts majors usually need to learn to say "You want fries with that" before somebody will hire them.

W

Wenchy

My 10 year old informed me the other day that he will be attending M.I.T.

I looked at him, and he said, "I know Mom, but I will get the scholarships to pay for it, just wait and see."

I believe him. :yay:

The way I see it, some children/people just have a natural affinity towards science/math. "Special" classes will not foster that.

I vote, "NO".

Toxick

Splat
aps45819 said:
Don't understand why this is a problem.

If you start paying kids to get good grades when they're younger, you will spoil them - and then when they're adults they'll expect to get paid for everything they do, instead of letting work be its own reward.

yes - this is a joke

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Toxick said:
There's no options for:
NO MOTHER EFFING WAY IN EFFING HELL IS THAT ANYTHING CLOSE TO SOMETHING RESEMBLING ANYTHING LIKE A GOOD EFFING IDEA, AND WHATEVER RETARD CAME UP WITH THIS IDEA SHOULD BE DRAWN AND EFFING QUARTERED!!one!!eleven!!!!OMFGLOL!!onehundredeleven!!!
:lmao:

Besides, if our kids start excelling at math and science, we'll put little Yuri and Mitsuko out of jobs and they'll have to go back to the sweatshop for $1.99 a day.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Well...

Toxick said:
There's no options for:

...what a well reasoned answer that was!

J

julz20684

Toxick said:
There's no options for:

Tell us how you really feel

B

Bronwyn

:lmao: I posed this question to my 13 year old son. He said that if the government would pay him to pass, he would study like a maniac. He went on and on about how he would surely score an A.

bcp

In My Opinion
Bronwyn said:
:lmao: I posed this question to my 13 year old son. He said that if the government would pay him to pass, he would study like a maniac. He went on and on about how he would surely score an A.

so, your son, in an ultimate moment of great 13 year old intellect, openly admitted to you that he is able to do much better in school, but he refuses unless he is paid to do so?

my dad would have had himself a field day with me on that one.

I pray for the childs quick recovery.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
There's alot...

Bronwyn said:

...of things kids get right that we adults seem to lose our perspective on as we age.

Ask a kid about what is or is not fair for a tax policy sometime. Or affirmative action.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Recovers from what?

bcp said:
so, your son, in an ultimate moment of great 13 year old intellect, openly admitted to you that he is able to do much better in school, but he refuses unless he is paid to do so?

my dad would have had himself a field day with me on that one.

I pray for the childs quick recovery.

...common sense?

Adult; Do this well and I'll pay you well.

Kid: Outta my way!

Some of my kids are very interested in what they want to do, what they enjoy, dance, sports, drama, singing vs. good old fashioned financial motivation. Of course, every one of them so far has thought a job was cool as all hell once they needed gas money.

I'm shocked at the opposition to this idea, officially paying for achievement, and I'd love some dialogue on this.

We have a society with far too many lawyers, doctors and Wall Street types, yes? Why is that? Because after their first two years as psychology majors it dawns on them they're gonna have to earn a living some day, right? So, most kids are motivated by money sooner or later, yes?

So, we WANT more scientists and less lawyers, yes? We're paying for what we have now and we don't like it, why not pay for what we'd prefer.

We spend MORE money per year on education, $500 BILLION, per year, than we've spent on the entire war on terrah since 9/11. We spend about $10,000 per year per student for about 50 million students, k-12, for the education system we have.

We spend about the same, per year, $500 billion, on what most people think of as 'welfare'. What impact would better education have on that?

How about crime? Would it be dramatically reduced with higher education?

How about health care? Do better educated people take better care of themselves?

When most of us get a job, what's the first thing companies do? Spend more money on training your azz. From the use of a lawn mower, to a deep fryer to a CRAY computer. I read an editorial, years ago, that said everything there is to be said about effort vs. results;

The Post had just installed a new computer system and wanted everyone to learn how to use it; from e mail to inter office messages, to group meetings, sharing spreadsheets, so on and so forth. The company that installed it got paid to make sure each employee knew how to use it. The goal wasn't to test each person and see how well they paid attention or what they absorbed; they got paid to make sure everyone knew how to use it; results.

School tests your effort, which has nothing to do with results. While it's true that effort is a good thing, it in no way means that student X will be better at the application of, the job of math or science or raking leaves than student Y just because student X got a better grade; all it means is he may learn quicker or tests better. Or he got more support at home. Or got breakfast every day. Or got enough sleep.

How many people excel far past their better test taking and retention counterparts once the real world is entered?

Imagine, if you will, where parents have a direct financial motivation to support their kids getting a better education. Imagine a world where, instead of complaining that other people don't care enough about their kids education which results in all these barbarians running around, we've got more kids who are capitalists replete with all the motivations that that implies; civility, societal awareness, etc.

Would paying kids to take better classes, and succeed at them, result in a society with less crime, better health and happier, more productive citizens at less overall public expense?

P

PelyKat

You make some very interesting points Larry, As we did reward our kids for good grades. $1-A's, $.50-B's and they both went to college, 1-civil engineer, 1-natural resources management. It seemed to work out. But then they always knew the other choice was the military (they were Army brats).

I've always felt we were too focused on test scores, and not focused enough on really firing up the kids and getting them interested in learning. But that's hard to do with 35 kids in a class. Today school is more a form of glorified daycare, and less about the fun of learning. What a shame.

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
Larry,

Several things come to mind:

1. The benefits that you're looking for don't come from knowing more, they come from having more wisdom.

2. Why should we pay people to do what they ought? It's like the gov't giving a tax credit to those that didn't get arrested this year.

I don't see this getting more people an education, just getting people to switch their majors. IMO, those that would go through with the program would probably be in college anyway.

3. What's the real goal here? Getting people to take a science class or two that they'll never use is worthless. Giving people money to get a degree in a certain field, would be better. Which leads to...

4. Bringing up that you're suggesting the gov't get more into engineering the economic and social systems. IMO they need to stay out of it because they tend to cause more harm than good.

I read an article (that I'll have to find) about engineering in the US. Big engineering firms are moving oversees where its cheaper to do business. However, one thing that is booming in the US are small firms (under 10 employees) that are contracted by large companies to address very specific and off-the-wall problems. These small "think tanks" aren't run-of-the-mill guys, but those at the top of their ranks- who also happen to love what they do and are willing to put in a stupid amount of hours. Basically, these aren't guys that you paid to get a degree. And the guys that you do pay, won't survive in this field.

Point is, what are we going to do when we have a crap load of science degrees and no jobs for them? Remember all those computer techs pumped out in the late 90's? Where are they now?

5. Here's a novel idea: Instead of wasting money to get people to conform to our archaic education system, why don't we spend the money to revamp it? Why don't we actually teach people to think and work, rather know a bunch of garbage they'll never need? Remember all those music classes? Are they doing you much good now?

Why not address what we do agree on? That doing well in school doesn't mean crap. Why not have the schools teach and test based on results rather than effort? IMO, we can't blame the students that do well in school but crappy in the real world. That's the school's fault for not teaching what they should have. I mean the point of school is to help you prepare for life right? Why not actually have them do their job?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Why pay for something that is already required?

In Maryland the requirements are - 4 units English Language Arts - 3 units Social Studies -3 units Mathematics - 3 units Science - 0.5 unit Physical Education - 0.5 unit Health Education - 1 unit Fine Arts - 1 unit Technology Education - 1 to 3 units approved Electives.

The key, if wanting more capable persons to enter the job market, would be to flood the post high school education with the incintives - like funding scholarships for those majoring in science, math, and engineering.