Plate scanners.......a step too far....?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I get my dogs vaccinated, but I have never gotten a "license" for my dog. Where do you believe the police would be able to obtain this information?

Are you ever going to tell me where you believe scanners violate the constitution? Was that just some catch phrase you use when you don't really know any better?

Really??

§ 11-503. Description and contents of dog tags

(a) Except in Carroll County, the county commissioners of the counties shall prepare, and furnish annually to the county treasurer, and to the tax collecting officer, metal tags to be given the owners of dogs when the owners shall pay the license fee for dogs. The tags shall be of metal, and shall have a serial number corresponding with the number on the license issued to the owner, as provided in § 11-501 of this subtitle. The tags shall also have impressed thereon the calendar year for which the tag is issued, and shall not be more than 1 inch in length, and shall be equipped with a substantial metal fastening device. The general shape of the tag shall be changed from year to year, and the tags furnished owners of kennels shall have the word "kennel" thereon. If any tag is lost it shall be replaced by the county treasurer, or tax collecting office, upon application by the person to whom the original license was issued, upon the production of the license and payment of a fee of 25 cents.

(b) In Calvert County the tag may not be more than two inches in length and shall cost 50 cents for a replacement if the original is lost.

(c) In Anne Arundel County, the expiration date of the dog license, rather than a calendar year, shall be impressed on the tag, and the shape of the tag may remain unchanged from year to year.

(d) This section does not apply in Talbot County or Washington County.

itsrequired

And the converstaion between my doctor and a shrink is SUPPOSED to be confidential, but as we know that's no longer the case.

Maybe read here, this will help. They run your plate, and the dispatcher returns with "warning" of possible problems extracted from other state held data repositories..

http://forums.somd.com/news-current-events/228458-maryland-profiling-2nd-amendment-supporters.html

And reading the tag is not the issue, it's the information reading the tag provides.. it doesn't return information about the tag as you say, but it returns all of the information about the individual that the car is registered to. What if they made us wear these plates around our necks so they could scan us in a crowd and get all of our personal information, would that bother you?

The warning that dispatchers give officers comes from criminal histories, or other contacts with the police where people have been arrested. There are NO warnings from dispatchers in reference to guns unless the information comes from official reports, not decals.
You really need to stop basing your knowledge on things you read on public forums.

itsrequired

AND you're suggesting I can go into Wal-Mart and buy a shotgun without getting "cleared" and filling out a bunch of paperwork that goes where exactly??

It may not be a formal registration, but by the spirit of the law, you just registered that shotgun to your name and address, and bet your ass that information is stored at the state level (even though it's supposed to be destroyed after a period of years).

What I am saying as a police officer, I can't pull from MAFIS what un-regulated firearms you have purchased. If there is a data base out there which keeps that information, I am not privy to it as a police officer.

itsrequired

Really??

(a) Except in Carroll County, the county commissioners of the counties shall prepare, and furnish annually to the county treasurer, and to the tax collecting officer, metal tags to be given the owners of dogs when the owners shall pay the license fee for dogs. The tags shall be of metal, and shall have a serial number corresponding with the number on the license issued to the owner, as provided in § 11-501 of this subtitle.

(d) This section does not apply in Talbot County or Washington County.

Are you stupid or are you just playing with me? This is about counties issuing dog tags.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Are you stupid or are you just playing with me? This is about counties issuing dog tags.

And doesn't somebody have to fill out paperwork to get one of these "licenses"??

Like the dog owners name, address.. etc??

Not in MD, but I remember a dogcatcher coming to my house because the license for my dog had expired. They stood at my door and asked.. "Did you own this dog?" "Do you still own this dog?" and in turn wrote me a citation with a fine.

So it's not a "License" by name, but it serves the same purpose.

So do your dogs have tags?

itsrequired

Really??

(a) Except in Carroll County, the county commissioners of the counties shall prepare, and furnish annually to the county treasurer, and to the tax collecting officer, metal tags to be given the owners of dogs when the owners shall pay the license fee for dogs. The tags shall be of metal, and shall have a serial number corresponding with the number on the license issued to the owner, as provided in § 11-501 of this subtitle.

But lets not get too far off the topic. Even if an owner of a dog chooses to get a dog tag, where is it you believe the police have access to this information?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
What I am saying as a police officer, I can't pull from MAFIS what un-regulated firearms you have purchased. If there is a data base out there which keeps that information, I am not privy to it as a police officer.

So you're saying as a police office you CAN pull up data on any handguns, or any other regulated firearms I may have purchased??

You don't see an issue with this? Or are you so brainwashed that all of this intrusion is for the "common good"??

And just because YOU can't access it, you believe it's not in a database somewhere at the county or state level that someone MAY be able to access?

You honestly believe they collect all this data and take it out back and shred it, and there's no record of it stored anywhere?

itsrequired

And doesn't somebody have to fill out paperwork to get one of these "licenses"??

Like the dog owners name, address.. etc??

Not in MD, but I remember a dogcatcher coming to my house because the license for my dog had expired. They stood at my door and asked.. "Did you own this dog?" "Do you still own this dog?" and in turn wrote me a citation with a fine.

So it's not a "License" by name, but it serves the same purpose.

So do your dogs have tags?

Yes, my dogs have tags which I bought at a craft fair.

If a person chooses to have a license for their dog for what ever reason, why is it you believe the police have access to that information?

itsrequired

So you're saying as a police office you CAN pull up data on any handguns, or any other regulated firearms I may have purchased??

As stated earlier, information on criminal histories or regulated firearm owners is subject to audit. If I look this information up, I have to have a legitimate investigative reason. When this information quirried , the person doing the quierry is notd.

You don't see an issue with this? Or are you so brainwashed that all of this intrusion is for the "common good"??

And just because YOU can't access it, you believe it's not in a database somewhere at the county or state level that someone MAY be able to access?

YBut you weren't talking about "someone" earlier, you were talking about law enforcement. You work for the government right? Can you get information to someone else's project? Why is it you only believe the police are corrupt?

You honestly believe they collect all this data and take it out back and shred it, and there's no record of it stored anywhere?

I have no idea what they do with it. I do know that they don't share it with some master data base as you are suggesting. Remember....run a tag, find out about guns and dogs? That's what you said remember? My experience, real life experience not what I am reading on the forums dictates that's not how it works.

Are you EVER going to tell me which part of the constitution tag readers violate?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
But lets not get too far off the topic. Even if an owner of a dog chooses to get a dog tag, where is it you believe the police have access to this information?

Point being it's data being kept SOMEwhere.

Which means and some point in time somebody or anybody can have access to it.

SIMPLE data mining done on a name can give the right person how much data about you, because you were mandated to provide it to buy a gun, or register your dog, or register your car.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Yes, my dogs have tags which I bought at a craft fair.

If a person chooses to have a license for their dog for what ever reason, why is it you believe the police have access to that information?

State of MD licensing of dogs is required..

Are you saying your dogs are not licensed?

Maybe we should run your plates so the dogcatcher knows where to go to pick up your dogs..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I have no idea what they do with it. I do know that they don't share it with some master data base as you are suggesting. Remember....run a tag, find out about guns and dogs? That's what you said remember? My experience, real life experience not what I am reading on the forums dictates that's not how it works.

Are you EVER going to tell me which part of the constitution tag readers violate?

So what's the "Alhpa" code talked about in the mentioned thread earlier??

Seems the person has no criminal record, but has purchased weapons in MD.. gets stopped for a traffic violation and hears over a scanner, the "Alpha" warning prior to the cops approaching his car...

How else would they assume he had a weapon?

itsrequired

No it's not! Show me the penalty for not licensing your dog.

Maybe we should run your plates so the dogcatcher knows where to go to pick up your dogs..

I'll be happy to tell the dog catcher where I live.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed

pssssst: our dog does not have a current license.

I sure hope that no one shows up at our house tonight trying to give us a ticket, because if they do, they'll see the un-tagged vehicle in the driveway, too, and try to give us a ticket for that also.

itsrequired

So what's the "Alhpa" code talked about in the mentioned thread earlier??

Seems the person has no criminal record, but has purchased weapons in MD.. gets stopped for a traffic violation and hears over a scanner, the "Alpha" warning prior to the cops approaching his car...

How else would they assume he had a weapon?

It's b.s. bob. First, it wouldn't be alpha or alhpa as you wrote, it would be A adam. Thats the first thing. I told you earlier, don't get all of your information from the internet. It's not as reliable as you believe.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I'll be happy to tell the dog catcher where I live.

a) Except in Calvert County, Carroll County, Cecil County, Montgomery County, Howard County, Talbot County, and Washington County, on or before the first day of July of each year, the owner of any dog, six months old or over, shall apply either orally or in writing, to the county treasurer or to the tax collecting officer in said county for a license for each such dog owned or kept by him, and such application shall be accompanied by a fee of one dollar ($1.00) for each male dog or each spayed female dog, and a fee of two dollars ($2.00) for each unspayed female dog, and provided that kennel license shall be issued for ten dollars ($10.00) to persons owning or keeping not in excess of twenty-five dogs and that a kennel license fee of twenty dollars ($20.00) shall be issued to persons keeping more than twenty-five dogs. The said license or fee shall be the only license or tax required for the ownership or keeping of said dog or dogs. Such license shall be issued on a form prepared and supplied by the county commissioners. Such license shall be dated and numbered, and shall contain a description of the dog licensed. Except in Calvert County, Carroll County, Cecil County, Montgomery County, Howard County, Talbot County, and Washington County, all licenses shall be void upon the first day of July of the following year. The county commissioners shall also furnish, and the county treasurer, or tax collecting officer issuing the license, shall issue, with each license, a metal tag. Such tag shall be affixed to a substantial collar. The collar shall be furnished by the owner, and with the tag attached shall at all times be kept on the dog for which the license is issued, except when confined in the kennel or when hunting in charge of an attendant.
(b) In Calvert County the fees for dog licenses shall be determined by the County Commissioners. However, before establishing or altering any license fee, the Calvert County Commissioners shall advertise the proposed fee for 2 consecutive weeks in at least 2 newspapers of general circulation in Calvert County. All dog licenses will expire 1, 2, or 3 years after the date of issue, as specified by county law.

(c) In Harford County all applications for licenses under the provisions of this section shall be made on or before the thirty-first day of December of each year and all licenses issued shall be void upon the thirty-first day of December of the following year. Any license issued under the provisions of this section as of July 1, 1950, shall be valid until December 31, 1951. The license fee for each unspayed female dog shall be three dollars ($3.00).

(d) In Montgomery County:

(1) The fees for dogs shall be determined by the County Executive of the county; and

(2) A dog license shall expire when a rabies vaccination certification issued under § 18-319(a)(3) of the Health--General Article expires.

(e) In St. Mary's County the license fees for dogs, including the fee for any kennel license, shall be determined by the County Commissioners of the county and shall be payable on or before the thirtieth day of June of each year, and all such licenses issued shall be void upon the thirtieth day of June the following year. The County Commissioners of St. Mary's County are authorized and directed to appoint the necessary agents to collect said license fees from owners of dogs who have not paid the required license fees by the first day of August in each year, and there shall be added to the fee of such delinquent owner a penalty of one dollar ($1.00) per license. Every dog warden appointed in St. Mary's County shall have all the powers of a constable or other peace officer.

(f) In Talbot County:

(1) The fees, the term, and the form of dog and kennel licenses shall be determined by the County Council of Talbot County;

(2) A dog license shall expire as specified by county law; and

(3) A dog tag may be either a metal tag or a surgically implanted microchip.

(g) In Charles County the fee for dogs shall be determined by the County Commissioners of the county.

(h) In Howard County: etc etc..

3) Any owner failing to comply with the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction thereof shall be subject to a fine of not more than twenty-five dollars ($25.00) for each offense.

itsrequired

a)
(e) In St. Mary's County the license fees for dogs, including the fee for any kennel license, shall be determined by the County Commissioners of the county and shall be payable on or before the thirtieth day of June of each year, and all such licenses issued shall be void upon the thirtieth day of June the following year. The County Commissioners of St. Mary's County are authorized and directed to appoint the necessary agents to collect said license fees from owners of dogs who have not paid the required license fees by the first day of August in each year, and there shall be added to the fee of such delinquent owner a penalty of one dollar ($1.00) per license. Every dog warden appointed in St. Mary's County shall have all the powers of a constable or other peace officer.

Ohh you got me bob. I'm a dog owning scofflaw. I hope the dog catcher doesn't catch me. I'm going to tell him tomorrow that I have a dog and didn't get a license. He can then come and get the dog, take it to the pound and put it to sleep. Save me fourty bucks a month in dog food.

Now bob, since you are great at deflections, where is it that police officers can obtain this information.

Also, can you answer my original question as to where tag violations have violated the constitution?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Wikileaks
Anonymous

I'm sure that the data that was compromised by these groups was deemed to be "safe' also. Just saying.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Back on topic, what pops up on Drudge, but this article from Drudge.....

Lawyer: Cop scanner ‘crosses line’ - BostonHerald.com

instantly check for police alerts, warrants, traffic violations and parking tickets, which cops say could be an invaluable tool in thwarting crime
should be changed to
instantly check for police alerts, warrants, traffic violations and parking tickets, which cops say could be an invaluable tool in enhancing revenue collection

The major difference between what police do now by "running a plate" and the use of the automated devices and the proposed database is huge. Now cops are only going to run plates on vehicles they suspect, with the automated plate readers they are going run many more, and those that don't generate an alert will still be stored. As I said, the data stored can be used to develop a pattern of behavior. If you aren't concerned with the security of data on the internet, you should be. There is a big difference between a hard line to a system and the use of the internet. If it's on the WWW, it's subject to being hacked.
Since it's data collected by the government, it could be subject ot FOI act requests.