Price of Gasoline.

Toxick

Splat
Verbing Weirds Language

JPC said:
:coffee: That quote of KK's is showing the point that I made in my post. He is giving a dictionary deffinition as his own deffinition and thus his belief is dependent / codependent on the writer of the dictionary.

The writer of the dictionary?

The dictonary is simply a compendium of words that have evolved into what we call the English Language. Languages are usually established in order for human beings to communicate with each other with the simple hope of conveying information.

If someone is just going to decide that words have different meanings, and then use them, regardless of what the language says, that undermines the entire goddam thing.

JPC said:
So if the dictionary were to change its deffinition then KK's deffinition would change too because he has no independent or self dependent interpretation as like I gave in my post.

This is the most rubbery thing I've ever read.

I've decided that "rubbery" now means "ignorant". I can do this because I'm not codependent on the dictionary.

I am vocabulant.

By the way - the dictionary does not decide what words mean. It is simply a collection of words and their definitions based on what we, as a society, have defined them.

In other words - the dictionary is "codependent" on us.

JPC said:
I prefer to think for myself and to only believe what I believe to be true and accurate and a dictionary deffinition is not always a real life application deffinition.

Certain words and phrases have taken on connotations or become idioms. Dictionaries, however, are still pretty reliable as a general rule of thumb.

I rubbing long. I caper you flowers crap a dapple diddle monkey wand.

Translation to OLD usless dictionary English: "I'm leaving now. I hope you people have a nice day"

B

Bruzilla

dck4shrt said:
The US government sticking its nose into a global market will make no difference in the long run. A prolonged change in supply or demand will.

Name me one other market, global or local, that does not have to respond to the requirements of its biggest customer? The US is always being criticized as being the biggest consumer of oil in the World, and yet we make no use of that power despite being the home of the greatest business model for such action - Wal Mart.

Oil futures prices have jumped greatly over the past few months because of the "possibility" of a conflict with Iran. No shots have been fired, no soldiers moved, just a lot of media speculation is all it takes to justify the price increases. And what about the oil companies? They love this action because they can load up a tanker in Saudi Arabia with 300,000 metric tons of oil (about 2,250,000 barrels) and if the cost of oil jumps by as little as $1 a barrel, they just made $2,250,000 in profits ABOVE what profits they would have made otherwise, without the need to expend a penny. Think about that when you believe that the oil companies are only making 10 cents a gallon on gasoline. If the price of oil was a more realistic value based on supply and demand the oil companies wouldn't be able to make these extra profits, so they're never going to do anything to upset that apple cart.

The US shouldn't demand concessions on oil prices. We should make it known that we're going to greatly increase domestic production and greatly decrease foreign imports. Since the price of oil is based on futures, not actual supply and demand, that action would drive the price of oil down far faster than any conservation or diplomatic efforts or building refineries.

dck4shrt

Bruzilla said:
Name me one other market, global or local, that does not have to respond to the requirements of its biggest customer? The US is always being criticized as being the biggest consumer of oil in the World, and yet we make no use of that power despite being the home of the greatest business model for such action - Wal Mart.

Oil futures prices have jumped greatly over the past few months because of the "possibility" of a conflict with Iran. No shots have been fired, no soldiers moved, just a lot of media speculation is all it takes to justify the price increases. And what about the oil companies? They love this action because they can load up a tanker in Saudi Arabia with 300,000 metric tons of oil (about 2,250,000 barrels) and if the cost of oil jumps by as little as $1 a barrel, they just made $2,250,000 in profits ABOVE what profits they would have made otherwise, without the need to expend a penny. Think about that when you believe that the oil companies are only making 10 cents a gallon on gasoline. If the price of oil was a more realistic value based on supply and demand the oil companies wouldn't be able to make these extra profits, so they're never going to do anything to upset that apple cart.

The US shouldn't demand concessions on oil prices. We should make it known that we're going to greatly increase domestic production and greatly decrease foreign imports. Since the price of oil is based on futures, not actual supply and demand, that action would drive the price of oil down far faster than any conservation or diplomatic efforts or building refineries.

We might be the biggest consumers of oil, but our slowly increasing demand for it isn't the driver of price increases. China, India, and the developing world are driving demand. While Nigeria, Iran, Iraq, Venezuela, and Saudi Arabia are decreasing supply or at best, increasing the supply at a slower rate than demand. The global markets do not care about who the biggest consumer is, they care about changes in the size of the slices of the pie, and the total size of the pie, if you will. China and India and others want/need a bigger slice of the pie and there will only be so much to go around.

And just because 'we' are the biggest consumer doesn't mean the gov't can do anything about it. We make individual choices in a capitalist society. Collectively we could throw our dollars around to change demand, but I'm not yet sure at what price per barrel that will happen.

We don't have tons of excess domestic production to fall back on. At best, drilling here and there would add incremental amounts to domestic production or simply replace falling Gulf and Prudhoe output. If we want lots and lots of oil we'll need to get it from foreign sources, and it's gonna cost us.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
What do you think about...

Bruzilla said:

...liquifying coal?

If the largest customer for a product has decided to start moving to a different product, wouldn't that have the same effect coupled with the stability that comes from a domestic supply?

Same with new nuclear plant contruction, yes?

B

Bruzilla

Larry Gude said:
...liquifying coal?

If the largest customer for a product has decided to start moving to a different product, wouldn't that have the same effect coupled with the stability that comes from a domestic supply?

Same with new nuclear plant contruction, yes?

Absolutely! Just the fact that Bush said he was stopping the purchase of oil for the strategic reserves was enough to drop the futures prices, despite the fact that there's not another extra drop of oil available yet. Anything that Bush can get real public on (Anwar drilling, gulf drilling, coal, more refineries, etc.) is going to cause fear in the market and drive prices down, even if it's years before we can actually make it happen.

B

Bruzilla

dck4shrt said:
We might be the biggest consumers of oil, but our slowly increasing demand for it isn't the driver of price increases. China, India, and the developing world are driving demand. While Nigeria, Iran, Iraq, Venezuela, and Saudi Arabia are decreasing supply or at best, increasing the supply at a slower rate than demand. The global markets do not care about who the biggest consumer is, they care about changes in the size of the slices of the pie, and the total size of the pie, if you will. China and India and others want/need a bigger slice of the pie and there will only be so much to go around.

And just because 'we' are the biggest consumer doesn't mean the gov't can do anything about it. We make individual choices in a capitalist society. Collectively we could throw our dollars around to change demand, but I'm not yet sure at what price per barrel that will happen.

We don't have tons of excess domestic production to fall back on. At best, drilling here and there would add incremental amounts to domestic production or simply replace falling Gulf and Prudhoe output. If we want lots and lots of oil we'll need to get it from foreign sources, and it's gonna cost us.

I'm afraid that the markets proved your contention wrong just yesterday. Bush's pledge to stop buying oil for the strategic reserve dropped the future's price despite the fact that not a drop of oil has been added to the market yet, and while there was more sabre rattling from Iran. Investors who speculate in oil futures aren't going to want to risk their money if there's any chance the price of oil will go down. And if the US, the Big Kahuna of oil consumers, makes moves to start decreasing purchases of OPEC oil... the price is going to drop a lot.

Also, you need to put the increases of oil consumption in places like China in perspective. For example, going from 1 to 2 is a 100% increase, but still just adding 1. Until the Chinese electrify more than a couple of provinces, and until bicycles run with gas motors, it's going to be decades before China comes anywhere close to the US in oil consumption.

dck4shrt

Bruzilla said:
I'm afraid that the markets proved your contention wrong just yesterday. Bush's pledge to stop buying oil for the strategic reserve dropped the future's price despite the fact that not a drop of oil has been added to the market yet, and while there was more sabre rattling from Iran. Investors who speculate in oil futures aren't going to want to risk their money if there's any chance the price of oil will go down. And if the US, the Big Kahuna of oil consumers, makes moves to start decreasing purchases of OPEC oil... the price is going to drop a lot.

Today is a new day, and oil is holding steady at $73. When the weekly inventory report comes out today we'll see what the price of oil will do. 2.1 million barrels in total being deferred from the SPR, once. US uses 21 million barrels per day. You tell me how that is going to change the supply/demand situation long term? It is just symbolic (and political maneuvering).

Oil is a global commodity. It can and will be shipped anywhere in the world. If the US wants to drill its own oil, it lets large international corporations profit from oil that is drilled here, in exchange for paying taxes on their profits, leasing the land, etc. This oil enters the global market place. If a high bidder from China want the oil they get the oil. We can't 'protect' ourselves from rising oil prices by drilling it at home, it doesn't work that way.

If we wanted to protect ourselves from global oil prices, the government would have to take over the oil industry and set prices. This would all be under the assumption that we actually had enough oil under our own feet to sustain ourselves for some amount of time, which we don't.

J

JPC, Sr.

Faith Without Works is ead.

RoseRed said:
If you knew how to use a dictionary, you would know how to spell definition.
:flowers: Got me on that one. It sounds like two f's but it only has one f. Got me that time.

So I guess I got a 90 percent grade as in B+ on the post for spelling. :getdown:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That does not work...

dck4shrt said:
If we wanted to protect ourselves from global oil prices, the government would have to take over the oil industry and set prices. This would all be under the assumption that we actually had enough oil under our own feet to sustain ourselves for some amount of time, which we don't.

...and in fact would make matters worse. I don't care if the government sets prices at $.25 a gallon and amndates full service only, the oil is still going to cost what it costs on the market, yes? We wouldn't see the cost as it would get buried amongst the avalanche of other federal spending but it would still cost what it costs and we'd have to make it up in taxes or debt, yes?

Add to that a public with an employer paid health insurance mentality; who cares what it costs? My co-pay is $10. We NEED an actively engaged public to move this mountain away from oil, foreign oil.

dck4shrt

Larry Gude said:
...and in fact would make matters worse. I don't care if the government sets prices at $.25 a gallon and amndates full service only, the oil is still going to cost what it costs on the market, yes? We wouldn't see the cost as it would get buried amongst the avalanche of other federal spending but it would still cost what it costs and we'd have to make it up in taxes or debt, yes?

Add to that a public with an employer paid health insurance mentality; who cares what it costs? My co-pay is $10. We NEED an actively engaged public to move this mountain away from oil, foreign oil.

Agreed.

SmallTown

Football season!
JPC said:
:flowers: Got me on that one. It sounds like two f's but it only has one f. Got me that time.

So I guess I got a 90 percent grade as in B+ on the post for spelling. :getdown:

anyone ever tell you that you look like the guy from slingblade :shrug:

MMDad

Lem Putt
JPC said:

If you think your spelling is worth a B+, you seriously need to rethink having schools as part of your platform. If my first grader spelled as poorly as you do, I'd be seriously upset if a teacher gave her a B+.

ylexot

Super Genius
JPC said:
It only sounds like two f's if you slur your speech. Are you drunk?

JPC said:
90% is an A-, but I guess you wouldn't know much about grades since you are self-edumacated. :rolleyes:

J

JPC, Sr.

Faith Without Works is Dead.

aps45819 said:
So if I get a ticket for running a red light, would you appear in court and explain to the judge that it would be co-dependent of me to accept the defined meaning of a red traffic signal as STOP?
:coffee: Years ago I use to drive big trucks and tractor trailer too, and one of the first things I was tought from my coworker that first trained me was that if the truck is very heavy loaded and the light changes red while the truck is moving too close to stop safely then lay on the horn and flash the head lights and it is better to then drive through the red light and piss off the other drivers and maybe get a tickit rather then dragging the brakes and loosing control of the truck and or the load.

Therefore, in some cases a person must think independently of the rules and the laws and do what is right and deemed safest at any given time and not just accept the dictionary definition that a red light means one has got to stop.

SmallTown

Football season!
JPC said:
:coffee: Years ago I use to drive big trucks and tractor trailer too, and one of the first things I was tought from my coworker that first trained me was that if the truck is very heavy loaded and the light changes red while the truck is moving too close to stop safely then lay on the horn and flash the head lights and it is better to then drive through the red light and piss off the other drivers and maybe get a tickit rather then dragging the brakes and loosing control of the truck and or the load.

Therefore, in some cases a person must think independently of the rules and the laws and do what is right and deemed safest at any given time and not just accept the dictionary definition that a red light means one has got to stop.

If you don't have time enough to stop, slow down

ylexot

Super Genius
JPC said:

But the red light still means stop. What you do with that information has nothing to do with the fact that the RED LIGHT MEANS STOP! It is not up for interpretation or your personal feelings. THE RED LIGHT MEANS STOP. If it did not mean stop, you wouldn't even consider stopping.

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
JPC said:

Does the statement "You're an idiot" mean anything to you?

Last edited: