Retirees, what do you do all day?

SamSpade

I think if I search for a place to retire, it would need to be planned with specific target areas. We already know we don't want to live with bad winters- I never want to shovel a foot of snow again - or live where the HOA does it. So as beautiful as some places are - not for us.

We also know we want to live where we can get the most out of our retirement income. Would really be nice if Trump won and made good on NEVER TAXING SS. Again. You realize, they only started doing that in the 80's?

We need to be within an hour's reach of a major city - big enough so that if we have needs - or want to fly somewhere - it's not a problem. We'll be old, and can't find ourselves far from medical support.

We want to be around people our age - so a 55+ community might be nice. It's hard to make friends when you're older - even harder to LOSE them because of - time.

Lastly - the kids. I know if we live too far from some things, we might not see them much. They are and will always be my whole world - I can't bear a life without them at least a little bit.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Lastly - the kids. I know if we live too far from some things, we might not see them much. They are and will always be my whole world - I can't bear a life without them at least a little bit.
My three surviving kids live in Norway, Ireland and Greece. We stay in touch through various means and are very close...just don't get to see each other very often. Mine are my whole world too....but they live in the world...all of it. ;-)

black dog

Free America
My three surviving kids live in Norway, Ireland and Greece. We stay in touch through various means and are very close...just don't get to see each other very often. Mine are my whole world too....but they live in the world...all of it. ;-)
I feel you, video Whatsapp works for us.
I might see my one measly kid a month a year over the last 6 years.
It will get better once I start snow-birding on the boat and get it across the big pond.

black dog

Free America
Is he still in the sandbox?
Yep, he's home for 50 some days next Sunday. Apparently there is a girl in st marys so im sure he will be around in a few weeks. Be on the lookout Brian.
Then back for a few weeks, and then more education in Jordan for a few weeks, and back to where he's been for about four months or so.
He's a traveling man.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Yep, he's home for 50 some days next Sunday. Apparently there is a girl in st marys so im sure he will be around in a few weeks. Be on the lookout Brian.
Then back for a few weeks, and then more education in Jordan for a few weeks, and back to where he's been for about four months or so.
He's a traveling man.
Make sure he banks all that tax free money he's making.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
retirees - what do you do all day?
For the past 2 weeks, playing general contractor as a new retaining wall gets put up. Like overseeing the repair of the copper fuel lines from the in-ground tank to the furnace that the guy with the backhoe dug up. And making sure the downspout lines are done the way I want. Just little annoyances. Otherwise, watching YouTube vids in between.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Honestly, I've been loafing a lot. Going to the beach or pool, reading, watching TV, blathering on the internet. I'd like to say I'm using my retirement time to cure cancer or build a homeless shelter but....I'm not.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Honestly, I've been loafing a lot. Going to the beach or pool, reading, watching TV, blathering on the internet. I'd like to say I'm using my retirement time to cure cancer or build a homeless shelter but....I'm not.
That's fine. That's what retirement is all about, just enjoying life. Eventually, you'll get the bug to do something else.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Biden’s already got curing cancer covered and Newsom is taking care of the homeless.

Relax and enjoy.

Blister

I retired at the beginning of January, about half the time I stay in a day long beer haze.
I did that for about a month or two. My deal with my wife was no projects beyond normal household maintenance for 6 months. I spent a lot of years getting up anywhere from 0330 to 0500. I have only set my alarm once since retiring, I still never sleep past 4 AM, but now I really enjoy often going back to sleep for a couple more hours. I get up when I feel like it.

Chopticon64

Biden’s already got curing cancer covered and Newsom is taking care of the homeless.

Relax and enjoy.
OMG, why is everything about politics!!! You can’t even let this thread be about the topic!!

Keep sitting by the pool folks.

The idling classes will have their butts handed to them soon enough.

“Oh I’m retired before 67, oh I’m out on disability, oh my email job is too tough!”

Get a real job, do real work, for real time, and you’ll be too tired to post “whatever will I do??”

This country wasn’t built by lazy people.