Retirees, what do you do all day?

SamSpade

Proof that you are from nowhere close to here.
Remember those journalists who were DUMBFOUNDED that Bush won in 2004? "EVERYONE I know voted for Kerry!".
That didn't "prove" Kerry was popular - it proved they only hung around Kerry supporters - in a nation where BUSH won.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Can we get BACK to retirement? Where should I move to? Kinda of concerned about taxes and affordable homes.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My retirement plan involves receiving a great deal of financial support from successful progeny. And the MD lottery.

Chopticon64

Are you a fiction writer for your daytime job too?
You folks just like trolling me and wasting my time.

One of my faults is taking the bait, but being called satanic from an atheist….ugh

Guess this is what I should expect after responding to the deranged person screaming on the street corner.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Can we get BACK to retirement? Where should I move to? Kinda of concerned about taxes and affordable homes.
My family on father's side still owns the original estate property in NW Alabama. It's a couple hundred overgrown acres in the middle of nowhere, with an old limestone quarry filled with water creating a small lake. No buildings..the mansion burnt in the 1950s and the other home on the property is a rotting pile of debris, seen only if you know where to look for it. Taxes are almost nothing. I roughed a rectangle around the property...the boundaries are much more complex. You can see the old quarry though..next to the railroad they loaded the stones on.

I could have the whole place for peanuts. Wife has been there....once. Was not impressed. The only "local" tourist attraction is the The Dismals, which is a very cool place to explore.
I had to laugh, though, when I pulled this up to print the screen...that Dollar General is new.

Isbell property.jpg

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
It's a couple hundred overgrown acres in the middle of nowhere, with an old limestone quarry filled with water creating a small lake. No buildings..the mansion burnt in the 1950s and the other home on the property is a rotting pile of debris, seen only if you know where to look for it.

That sounds like a perfect intro to an episode of House Hunters.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

It's hard to pick a place you've never been to. Somewhere perfect for me, you'd get there and have a nightmare. I read articles about the best places for retirement and they're a lot of BS. One of them, I'm not making this up, said NYC was a great place to retire. :lol:

It also depends on what you like to do and what you need to be right on top of. If you need special medical care, think you'll be attending the ballet and opera regularly, are outdoorsy, how much effort you want to put into daily living, etc.

I love where I live now. I love my perfect little house, I love my neighbors, I love the resort, and I love PCB. But I have the wanderlust and am longing for AZ and NM. I want to eat that amazing grilled chicken in Las Cruces, and see the Grand Canyon again. But I also long for TX hill country - I want to spend an afternoon in Luckenbach and toob the Comal. I mentally revisit some of the places Monello and I visited and would like to be there again, at least for a little while.

So really, choosing a spot to land is daunting because there are so many super cool places to be.