Roadside Memorials

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
How much history have you studied? Judging from your last post, not much. Ever hear of the Irish and Italian wars in the streets of New York?

It is true that each immigrant culture has added to the total culture of the United States, but former immigrations came to be part of the American culture. They struggled to learn English. They opened businesses and became workers. Many prospered beyond their dreams. Their attitude was totally different from many of the immigrants of today. They come here to take advantage of the system instead of being part of the United States. They want to be set apart. They want to be accommodated by the United States becoming bilingual or multi-lingual. Look at Canada to see how well a bilingual country works. Quebec wants to separate from the rest of Canada and be its own country. It has almost and may still result in a Canadian civil war.

While we apply the rights of the Constitution to all people, the rights are for the people of the United States not people in the United States. The rights are for citizens, natural and naturalized. They are not reserved for aliens, legal or illegal. We allow many of the rights to aliens, but they are not guaranteed by the Constitution even though the founders believed (I do too) that the rights expressed belonged to all people of the world.

I don't like the roadside memorials. But because we are now so PC, they are a fact of life and we have faded plastic flowers and soggy stuffed animals littering the highways.

BuddyLee

Football addict
How much history have you studied? Judging from your last post, not much. Ever hear of the Irish and Italian wars in the streets of New York?
History is one of my favorite subjects to study. The Italian's arrived first in this country in large numbers than the Irish. As any new group seemingly invades another's territory there will be times of lashing out. To top that off the two groups believed in different politics, religion, and overall way of life.

It is true that each immigrant culture has added to the total culture of the United States, but former immigrations came to be part of the American culture. They struggled to learn English. They opened businesses and became workers. Many prospered beyond their dreams.
Agreed.

Their attitude was totally different from many of the immigrants of today. They come here to take advantage of the system instead of being part ofthe United States. They want to be set apart. They want to be accommodated by the United States becoming bilingual or multi-lingual.
Sounds like an over-whelming stereotype there. I think this may apply to some but not all immigrants of today. You speak of taking advantage of the system. Isn't that what the United States has come to? If it's not the noobs coming in it's our very own. This argument therefore seems implausible.

Look at Canada to see how well a bilingual country works. Quebec wants to separate from the rest of Canada and be its own country. It has almost and may still result in a Canadian civil war.
Again your eluding by mentioning other countries and not your very own. That country has different laws, constitution, and obviously different culture than our own.

While we apply the rights of the Constitution to all people, the rights are for the people of the United States not people in the United States. The rights are for citizens, natural and naturalized. They are not reserved for aliens, legal or illegal. We allow many of the rights to aliens, but they are not guaranteed by the Constitution even though the founders believed (I do too) that the rights expressed belonged to all people of the world.
Agreed on this also. If they are a citizen it is fine by me. The influx of immigrants in the late 1800's prompted the erection of the Ellis Island Federal immigration station where thousands passed though in which case many received a more 'popular' Americanized version of their last name.

I don't like the roadside memorials. But because we are now so PC, they are a fact of life and we have faded plastic flowers and soggy stuffed animals littering the highways.
There are more tawdry things in life to worry about.

Last edited:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
BuddyLee said:
Sounds like an over-whelming stereotype there. I think this may apply to some but not all immigrants of today. You speak of taking advantage of the system. Isn't that what the United States has come to? If it's not the noobs coming in it's our very own. This argument therefore seems implausible.
Did I say "all"? No. I said "many". I very seldom speak in those absolutes.

BuddyLee said:
Again your eluding by mentioning other countries and not your very own. That country has different laws, constitution, and obviously different culture than our own.
Canada is the closest country of similar structure that is bilingual. I pointed out the problem that bilingual culture has brought them. Many (not all) in this country including myself object to having Spanish shoved down our throats. I do not live in Spain, Mexico, Cuba, or any other Spanish speaking country. NAFTA and Jimmy Carter are responsible for Spanish in the U.S. and I don't like it. That is my right.

BuddyLee said:
The influx of immigrants in the late 1800's prompted the erection of the Ellis Island Federal immigration station where thousands passed though in which case many received a more 'popular' Americanized version of their last name.
True, but that is relevant to the discussion of roadside memorials, why?

BuddyLee

Football addict
Canada is the closest country of similar structure that is bilingual. I pointed out the problem that bilingual culture has brought them. Many (not all) in this country including myself object to having Spanish shoved down our throats. I do not live in Spain, Mexico, Cuba, or any other Spanish speaking country. NAFTA and Jimmy Carter are responsible for Spanish in the U.S. and I don't like it. That is my right.
I had the same shoved down my throat in high school. "Learn it or you'll have a much harder time succeeding in the future" they'd say. However, this is the country I live in, respect, and hope to excel in. If popularity rules out the English language just as the English language did so long ago I'll either have to conform or be the new minority. Not something I want but a truth that may be faced someday.

True, but that is relevant to the discussion of roadside memorials, why?
I thought we were going on and on about immigrants. How did all of our immigrant discussion get tied into roadside memorials in the first place? If it's a supposed cultural import then so be it. It's not as if our country will turn over to Tony Blair or turn red with communist fervor. This is popular culture at it's best. Good luck trying to stop that.

stargazer

BuddyLee said:
This is popular culture at it's best. Good luck trying to stop that.

:yeahthat:
Drive safely, and worry about your parent's , spouses, kids, and grandkids. One day it will be a cemetary you are visiting, or you might even find yourself building a roadside memorial. I read the other threads, and I assure you I would not be videotaped or laughing for that. I will also maintain it for the memory of my loved one, for *******s who drive and don't pay attention, and for those who will say a prayer for someone they never even knew.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
BuddyLee said:
I had the same shoved down my throat in high school. "Learn it or you'll have a much harder time succeeding in the future" they'd say. However, this is the country I live in, respect, and hope to excel in. If popularity rules out the English language just as the English language did so long ago I'll either have to conform or be the new minority. Not something I want but a truth that may be faced someday.
You may be right - or not. The last election was an indication that conservatives and people of faith are going to try to take back the country. But this is also not germane to roadside memorials.

I will leave this thread with my thoughts on roadside memorials.

I don't like them.
I think most of them look like a collection of trash.
I would prefer that they were not allowed.

That said, I leave you to your own beliefs.

SeaRide

I gotta ask you guys who support this roadside memorial thingy.

What's your opinion on roadside memorial on school property especially the one in front of elementary school? good for kiddies or not? (There's one at Plum Point Elem on Plum Point Rd. check it out)

The story

Two young brothers were killed in their car which was driven on the wrong side of the road. The mother and a child in the other car was injured.
The roadside memorial was put up for those two brothers. Hmm.

Another scenario.

A mother in the car at the end of her driveway look both ways before getting on the road but the guy on the sportbike came speeding around the road so fast he rammed into the car. The roadside memorial made out of chrome scattered with empty whiskey bottles was set up right there at the spot across the road from the driveway which serves daily reminder for the surviving mother coming down the driveway every friggin day. (Check it out irl on Stinnet Rd coming from Plum Point Rd.)

What's your take on this?

BuddyLee

Football addict
SeaRide said:
I gotta ask you guys who support this roadside memorial thingy.

What's your opinion on roadside memorial on school property especially the one in front of elementary school? good for kiddies or not? (There's one at Plum Point Elem on Plum Point Rd. check it out)

The story

Two young brothers were killed in their car which was driven on the wrong side of the road. The mother and a child in the other car was injured.
The roadside memorial was put up for those two brothers. Hmm.

Another scenario.

A mother in the car at the end of her driveway look both ways before getting on the road but the guy on the sportbike came speeding around the road so fast he rammed into the car. The roadside memorial made out of chrome scattered with empty whiskey bottles was set up right there at the spot across the road from the driveway which serves daily reminder for the surviving mother coming down the driveway every friggin day. (Check it out irl on Stinnet Rd coming from Plum Point Rd.)

What's your take on this?
Some instances such as those mentioned above are controversial indeed but they do not encompass all roadside memorials as a whole. Are you saying children don't know what death is? If they don't learn it there they'll learn it somewhere else. How's about all the crosses the local churches put out for abortion? Or a simple cemetary along the road? Disney kills off Bambi's mother!

Last edited:

SeaRide

BuddyLee said:
Some instances such as those mentioned above are controversial indeed but they do not encompass all roadside memorials as a whole. Are you saying children don't know what death is? If they don't learn it there they'll learn it somewhere else. How's about all the crosses the local churches put out for abortion? Or a simple cemetary along the road? Disney kills off Bambi's mother for Christ's sake!

You went off the topic about children not knowing what death is. I knew death easily from killing frogs and salamanders as a 5 year old kid.

Back to the topic, please.

BuddyLee

Football addict
SeaRide said:
You went off the topic about children not knowing what death is. I knew death easily from killing frogs and salamanders as a 5 year old kid.

Back to the topic, please.
You mentioned schools which teach 'children'. I thought your argument centered around 'What if the children saw these?'.

SeaRide

If you were the principal at the school, what would yOU say to the parents concerned about the roadside memorial?

What about alcoholic bottles that may be opened/unopened?
cig packs?
tobacco bag?

Last edited:

BuddyLee

Football addict
SeaRide said:
If you were the principal at the school, what would yOU say to the parents concerned about the roadside memorial?
I'd say "Some things in life are better dealt with when the questions arise. Be safe and follow the laws of the road and instances like this will not happen for the most part. If you have any other beef discuss it with the mourning parties."

BuddyLee

Football addict
SeaRide said:

What about alcoholic bottles that may be opened/unopened?
cig packs?
tobacco bag?
Alcoholic beverages, cigarettes, or anything else of that nature should not be allowed in front of a school IMO. The school should have respect for the mourning parties just as the mourning parties should have just as much respect for the school's standard code.

SeaRide

Wow. You just opened a can of worms instead of solving the problem.

How about mourning parties come to you regarding kids messing with the roadside memorial? Not likely to happen I hope.

Time for me to go home.

Have a nice weekend.

BuddyLee

Football addict
SeaRide said:
Wow. You just opened a can of worms instead of solving the problem.

How about mourning parties come to you regarding kids messing with the roadside memorial? Not likely to happen I hope.

Time for me to go home.

Have a nice weekend.
Then it's time for a principal to step up and do his duty. To the office!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Giving in to the grief suffered when a life is lost I can live with the memorial for a brief period of time. As the majority of these memorials are placed on another person's property I think that express written permission should be mandatory, that they not be allowed on public property (like school grounds) and that any memorial established within a right-of-way should follow the local ordinances governing any sign posted along our roadways to include something like a maximum 30-day duration of time.

By then the loved one should be well established at their final resting place and the remembrance can be moved to that peaceful location versus the place where they, in most cases, met their tragic demise.

allan1058

Ken King said:
Giving in to the grief suffered when a life is lost I can live with the memorial for a brief period of time. As the majority of these memorials are placed on another person's property I think that express written permission should be mandatory, that they not be allowed on public property (like school grounds) and that any memorial established within a right-of-way should follow the local ordinances governing any sign posted along our roadways to include something like a maximum 30-day duration of time.QUOTE]

I think that is a great idea. Nobody said it had to be a permanent roadside memorial. Good for you for keeping an open mind unlike some of these other people in this thread who are just totally against it. Like I said before lets have some respect for the mourning individuals. :moon:

gumbo

FIGHT CLUB !
2ndAmendment said:
One time reply until you get your English skills together; your punctuation, grammar, and spelling are terrible. Learn to communicate intelligently.

What are you a English teacher :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

gumbo

FIGHT CLUB !
Actually The state of Arizona use to stick up little white cross's

I don't know if they still do it or not???

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
gumbo said:
Actually The state of Arizona use to stick up little white cross's

I don't know if they still do it or not???
No yellow stars?