Sheriff Cameron struck by firetruck

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I am sure Mr. Scully is pretty fricken embarrassed right now. It could have been worse but thankfully it wasn't. I'm sure he won't be living this down anytime soon.

Is he still allowed to volunteer and drive the truck?

Roman

I'm sure he can still volunteer, but it may be awhile before he drives again. This was an accident, and I'm sure no malicious intent. I feel badly for the FT driver.
Is he still allowed to volunteer and drive the truck?

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I'm sure he can still volunteer, but it may be awhile before he drives again. This was an accident, and I'm sure no malicious intent. I feel badly for the FT driver.

:yeahthat:

These volunteers give up countless hours of time to be there when we need them....

I think it was last year, somebody took a turn too fast in a brand spanking new firetruck in Charles County causing it to tip over. Accidents happen...

officeguy

I think it was last year, somebody took a turn too fast in a brand spanking new firetruck in Charles County causing it to tip over. Accidents happen...

Within a week, they put two firetrucks on the side. From watching them operate in recent weeks, it looks like the lesson from last year has worn off already. Saw a Potomac heights truck take a turn going 40 and lifting a rear tire the other day. If you are the fifth truck to head to a fire, you are not saving any lives by driving like an idiot. We all appreciate the time and effort our firefighters put into that second job, but there needs to be some better leadership in the companies to keep everyone safe.

The accident with the sheriff doesn't sound like reckless driving, just someone not used to operating a large vehicle in tight quarters. Glad the sheriff is ok.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Was it absolutely necessary to charge the fire truck driver? Everything I've read, indicates that it was an accident. I'm sure everyone driving around lately has seen the "volunteers needed" signs out there. They need people. This incident isn't going to help recruitment efforts. Ms. Caspar could've cut him some slack.

From the Enterprise...

Enterprise A mishap Wednesday morning at an accident scene that sent St. Mary’s Sheriff Tim Cameron to a hospital with a leg injury prompted a review by a prosecutor, one that the sheriff’s office reports led to citations issued against a Leonardtown firefighter.
Cameron was treated at MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital in Leonardtown and released after the 7:36 a.m. incident on Pin Cushion Road near Clements.
Sheriff’s deputies responding to the accident scene found a Chevrolet S-10 pickup truck that left the road and struck a tree, the sheriff’s office reports, and the truck’s driver was suffering from a leg injury. She was placed on the tailgate of her vehicle, to elevate her leg while they waited for emergency medical crews to get there.
Cameron arrived to assist the deputies and was standing to the rear of the truck, speaking to the injured driver, the sheriff’s office reports, when a firefighting vehicle approached, driven by 61-year-old Kenneth Scully of the Leonardtown Volunteer Fire Department.
“Sheriff Cameron was struck by the fire truck and was pinned between the fire truck and tailgate of the wrecked vehicle,” according to a release posted that afternoon by sheriff’s office spokesperson Jennifer Stone. “As the fire truck continued to move forward, Sheriff Cameron was thrown to the ground.”
Stone reported that the facts of the case were reviewed with Assistant State’s Attorney Laura Caspar and that “based on the facts, the operator of the fire truck has been charged via citations [with] negligent driving, failure to control speed to avoid a collision, and driver failure to exercise due care to avoid [a] pedestrian collision.”
The fire department’s chief could not be reached for comment.
The sheriff suffered no broken bones from the mishap, and the injury to his leg was described by a senior lawman as a hard “rub” from the contact with the firefighting vehicle as the sheriff was helping the injured motorist.
“He is a working sheriff,” Capt. Steven Hall said Wednesday morning outside the hospital’s emergency room. “He was out there, doing his thing.”
A Maryland State Police helicopter crew joined the fire and rescue volunteers responding to the scene, and Stone reported that the injured vehicle driver, whose name was no released, was flown to Prince George’s Hospital Center.
Cameron (R) first was elected in 2006 and faced no opponent in his re-election in 2010 and last year.
jwharton@somdnews.com

CRHS89

While it was a bad situation, the ft driver is a person who VOLUNTEERS his time to help others in need. He is obviously a caring person who I am sure feels awful. I would be interested to see the accident scene. Pincushion road is a smallish road, without shoulders I believe. I imagine there was not a lot of room to maneuver a huge vehicle.

This_person

I'm surprised at the number of people who think the volunteer status should change whether or not he is charged. I'm sure he's a nice guy - don't know him, but have no reason to think anything but he's a nice guy. And, yes, accidents happen. And, when they do and there is something that demonstrates someone is at fault for them, nice or not, that person tends to get charged. I'm guessing if it was you, or your spouse, or your child that got hit and spent the better part of a day in the hospital you would accept that the driver got charged.

We can all find fault with anyone. Where the patient was placed is arguable, but if she was ambulatory it's at least as likely she put herself there.

With all of the comments about rolling trucks and engines, and the need for volunteers, etc., perhaps what this shows is that we need to pay for professionals who so love the idea of being firemen and EMS that they've chosen to make a career out of it instead of asking people to do it as a hobby on the side. Rules tend to stick better when one's job is on the line for not following them.

pebbles

I don't understand the mindset of the people saying I'm sure it was an accident & why is he being charged???? Accidents happen all the time but it's still someone's fault, whether intentional or not, negligence was there. The fact that he is a volunteer doesn't make him above the law. I have the utmost respect for all our Volunteers, as many of my friends and family are Volunteer Rescue Squad & Firefighters. But being a volunteer doesn't change the fact that the driver wasn't paying attention at some point & hurt someone. Thank goodness it wasn't worse! I bet if it was your family that was hurt, you wouldn't say oh that's ok, you are volunteering your time & you didn't mean to, so don't worry about any charges. The world has simply gone mad!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't understand the mindset of the people saying I'm sure it was an accident & why is he being charged???? Accidents happen all the time but it's still someone's fault, whether intentional or not, negligence was there. The fact that he is a volunteer doesn't make him above the law. I have the utmost respect for all our Volunteers, as many of my friends and family are Volunteer Rescue Squad & Firefighters. But being a volunteer doesn't change the fact that the driver wasn't paying attention at some point & hurt someone. Thank goodness it wasn't worse! I bet if it was your family that was hurt, you wouldn't say oh that's ok, you are volunteering your time & you didn't mean to, so don't worry about any charges. The world has simply gone mad!

Agree.

It's a "not my kid" mentality. When it's someone else's kid who screws up, off with his head. But when it's *my* kid.....

I'm sure the guy who hit Cameron is sorry and I'm sure it was an accident. I'm sure he's a perfectly nice guy, blah blah blah. But he still hit someone while driving the firetruck and should be charged accordingly, just like anyone else.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
With all of the comments about rolling trucks and engines, and the need for volunteers, etc., perhaps what this shows is that we need to pay for professionals who so love the idea of being firemen and EMS that they've chosen to make a career out of it instead of asking people to do it as a hobby on the side. Rules tend to stick better when one's job is on the line for not following them.

And I completely agree with this as well. REAL places have professional emergency services with paid workers who do it for a living. What's up with this stupid area? And WTH is our tax money being spent on? St. Marys is a higher than average income county, which means more taxes are being kicked into the coffers. So where's our public service?

awpitt

Main Streeter
And I completely agree with this as well. REAL places have professional emergency services with paid workers who do it for a living. What's up with this stupid area? And WTH is our tax money being spent on? St. Marys is a higher than average income county, which means more taxes are being kicked into the coffers. So where's our public service?

Actually, volunteer based fire and rescue are not unique to this (stupid area). It's something that occurs nationwide. "REAL" place like DC and PG have paid workers but they pay for it. It wouldn't be cheap to add a whole new dept in county govt.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Actually, volunteer based fire and rescue are not unique to this (stupid area). It's something that occurs nationwide. "REAL" place like DC and PG have paid workers but they pay for it. It wouldn't be cheap to add a whole new dept in county govt.

I understand that, but I would like to know how lower income counties can afford professional emergency services, and we cannot.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I understand that, but I would like to know how lower income counties can afford professional emergency services, and we cannot.

High tax rates. Think we pay a lot of taxes here in St. Mary's? Go live in DC or PG. For St. Mary's to switch over to career base fire and rescue, it would take millions of dollars. Not exactly something that could be absorbed into the current county govt budget. In order to stand up a paid fire and rescue force, it would take something comparable to the Sheriff's dept annual budget. The FY16 budget for the St. Mary's County Sheriff office in $35 million. Divide that up by the population and it comes to roughly $300 per person.

This_person

High tax rates. Think we pay a lot of taxes here in St. Mary's? Go live in DC or PG. For St. Mary's to switch over to career base fire and rescue, it would take millions of dollars. Not exactly something that could be absorbed into the current county govt budget. In order to stand up a paid fire and rescue force, it would take something comparable to the Sheriff's dept annual budget. The FY16 budget for the St. Mary's County Sheriff office in $35 million. Divide that up by the population and it comes to roughly $300 per person.
You do it incrementally. Start with dayshift for the larger areas, when the volunteers are less available. Stop people living in the firehouses. Stop the tax breaks for the volunteers, or reduce it. Share turnout gear, having just enough for a shift at a time, with the removable name pieces available - or, just have all the volunteer gear labeled "volunteer", so everyone can share based on sizes. Stop the practice of taking the command vehicle to work, it stays at the firehouse. Stop the practice of taking the truck/engine/ambulance to Panera for a meal.

Slowly, over time, the savings will help pay for going beyond just the dayshift, until we have a professional emergency service.

The other option, of course, is to share the cost by having some of the police force go volunteer. Because, certainly if emergency services are better of volunteer, then we should expect our police force to do the same, right? If it makes sense for one service, why not others?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Growing up the hook and ladder truck had a guy in the back compartment that did the steering of the rear wheels. It was wild watching that beast come roaring around the corner and make that wide, sweeping turn. Lots of kids wanted to be firemen back in the day. Plus you got to slide down the pole.

NTNG

How about instead of calling them "professional emergency services" you call them "paid services"? Otherwise, your statement infers the volunteer emergency services are "unprofessional".

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
How about instead of calling them "professional emergency services" you call them "paid services"? Otherwise, your statement infers the volunteer emergency services are "unprofessional".

By "professional" I mean paid, because that is the meaning of the word. "Unprofessional" is not the opposite of "professional".