Sheriff Cameron struck by firetruck

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I don't understand the mindset of the people saying I'm sure it was an accident & why is he being charged???? Accidents happen all the time but it's still someone's fault, whether intentional or not, negligence was there. The fact that he is a volunteer doesn't make him above the law. I have the utmost respect for all our Volunteers, as many of my friends and family are Volunteer Rescue Squad & Firefighters. But being a volunteer doesn't change the fact that the driver wasn't paying attention at some point & hurt someone. Thank goodness it wasn't worse! I bet if it was your family that was hurt, you wouldn't say oh that's ok, you are volunteering your time & you didn't mean to, so don't worry about any charges. The world has simply gone mad!

Agree :yay:

Bann

PREMO Member
And I completely agree with this as well. REAL places have professional emergency services with paid workers who do it for a living. What's up with this stupid area? And WTH is our tax money being spent on? St. Marys is a higher than average income county, which means more taxes are being kicked into the coffers. So where's our public service?

:yay: x 2

officeguy

Including higher house insurance fees when your service is volunteer.

They mostly go by ' distance to next hydrant', 'distance to next fire station' and the ISO rating of the fire service. Whether an agency is volunteer, hybrid or professional goes into the rating, but a volunteer agency can hit the higher tiers if they have the equipment and personnel and training. Many insurers now just use loss ratio to rate a zip code and ignore the rating for the hydrants and fire agency alltogether.

The rural parts of PG have VFDs and often receive mutual aid from VFDs in adjoining Charles. If it wasnt for VFDs to fill in, fire service in PG would need a number of additional stations. PG has almost a mil people, much higher density, operating a professional agency for all of St Marys would be silly expensive due to the rural character of the county. Personnel is what drives cost, not shiny trucks and stations.

Last edited:

RPMDAD

Sure go for it just get your checkbooks out and don't complain about the tax increases to go along with it. I am sure most of the VFD's down in SOMD would love to be paid as full time paid fire fighters, EMT's and medics, get retirement full health care and benefits. Also saves them that PIA full time job many of them have now and volunteer Be in there on their time off to do this. By the way all the volunteers down here in Calvert Co. that i work with are professionals and in all the other counties and have the same certifications that paid firefighters have, That includes Fire Fighter, EMT, Paramedic, Apparatus driver, they are all certified to do their job. As a matter of fact i know some paid fire fighters in other places, volunteer in Calvert and i am sure st. Mary's. Like i said all it takes is money, much money, and the citizens can prepare to pay it. I salute all our volunteers and think they do a great job. JMHO

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
By the way all the volunteers down here in Calvert Co. that i work with are professionals

Volunteers are not professionals. Why is everyone having such a hard time with the definition of the word "professional"?

Danzig

Many of the volunteer firefighters are also professional firefighters. I have been on several scenes and every volunteer there was an off duty professional. When on the scene of many incidents I see firefighters I know, and some days they are there as a paid firefighter from PAX River assisting the volunteers who are also Paid PAX River professionals that are off that day. There are also many professional DC firefighters volunteering in the county.

Many of the volunteer firefighters are also professional firefighters. I have been on several scenes and every volunteer there was an off duty professional. When on the scene of many incidents I see firefighters I know, and some days they are there as a paid firefighter from PAX River assisting the volunteers who are also Paid PAX River professionals that are off that day. There are also many professional DC firefighters volunteering in the county.

Thanx for that. Good info.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

:yay:

Bann

PREMO Member

This is true. I know several. :yay:

officeguy

Those guys have my greatest respect. They have no gain for their careers by volunteering on top of their base or city job, yet they put on those boots when the beeper goes off to help their fellow citizens.