vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Multiple bankruptcies
Multiple failure to pay bills
Multiple affairs
He’s got some baggage.

See, and I thought we got over that sort of personal stuff in the 90s with Bill Clinton. Otherwise we wouldn't have entertained the notion of Dubya and his substance abuse issues, business problems, and other what have you.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
See, and I thought we got over that sort of personal stuff in the 90s with Bill Clinton. Otherwise we wouldn't have entertained the notion of Dubya and his substance abuse issues, business problems, and other what have you.
Okay you want different kind of baggage, point to a type and I’ll look.

22AcaciaAve

Does he? You don't know any of that because DeSantis hasn't been tested yet on a national level. Right now he's the Golden Boy, but if he throws his hat in the ring that will change.

Also it doesn't have to be one or the other. I can support both Trump AND DeSantis. The TV is insisting I have to choose, which is why you think I have to choose, but I don't. I can like both of them and won't even have to make a choice in a primary because I'm not party affiliated and don't vote in primaries. It appears you're getting sucked into a media narrative that I refuse to entertain.

The media controls the voters, including the "independents". So you better care about them and how they're brainwashing the masses.

Exactly what baggage are you referring to? Be precise with specific examples.

Honestly I think we want to end up at the same place, policy wise, we just have very different ideas on how to get there.

DeSantis has not been grilled on a national level, but seeing the way he has handled a lot of things, including hurricane Ian, I have confidence he will be ok.

You can support both, I get that, but I don't think Trump believes that. He's made it pretty clear that he believes he made Ron "DeSanctimonious" who he is. I disagree. I believe Ron DeSantis has a much better chance of winning in 2024 than Trump does. I think DeSantis main fight would be for the republican nomination. If he feels like he can't beat Trump, maybe he declines to run and figures that 2028 is better for him. I could see that. If Trump wins back the presidency, he can't run again. DeSantis is the obvious successor. If Trump loses again, DeSantis is in perfect position to be the party savior in 2028. Whatever way he decides, DeSantis is sitting pretty.

The baggage for Trump is obvious. He's lost part of his own party and a good deal of independents. His disapproval rating is as high as Biden's. Seriously, if I am trying to win, I'm throwing my best option out there and that simply is not Donald Trump anymore.

22AcaciaAve

I don't know that he does. But the problem about ANY movement surviving is that if it cannot raise new leadership to pick up the mantle of its founders, the movement dies, because it's the work of just a few - or even ONE - man.

My Dad used to say that the first job of any leader is to find his replacement - because he can't lead indefinitely (and in my Dad's specific case - it wasn't DESIRABLE).

MOVEMENTS are run by ideas, supported by people with similar goals. Whatever else you thought of them, you want to know why Ron Paul or Ross Perot's groups petered out? Because it was one guy.

Maybe you want Trump to run in 2024. I kind of do, if only for the fact that it sort of vindicates him. But by 2028 - his movement ENDS, for good, unless SOMEONE ELSE takes it on.

I don't want to call followers of Trump a "cult"
- for one thing, it's not a cult, most Trump followers like him but live their lives without anything to do with him. For another - I was IN A CULT, and while it had its own dissension, the entire group survived only as long as either the person at the top was in charge - or still alive. Almost all of the ones that were active when I was a young man are a pale shadow of their former selves. The Way International - the Church of Bible Understanding - Eckankar - the Moonies - even Scientology - they've shrunk substantially. My old cult - it's dying off too. Why? The original leadership has died. The fervor of the original leaders - has left.

They DID NOT RAISE A NEW TIER of leaders.

Trump has to do this.

I appreciate your response. I think you make some very good points.

I really don't care if Trump runs in 2024. I believe republicans need to nominate the best man who might be able to win. You can't govern, you can't put your ideas into place if you lose. I simply believe there are better candidates then Donald Trump. I believe he has alienated too many people within his own party and definitely with independents.

You are right. My statement saying a Trump cult was probably wrong. I think maybe I was more trying to say I don't understand the hero worship that goes on out there for him. But then, I don't understand why any sane being would hero worship any politician from either side.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

When you've lost Scott Adams...

Earlier this morning, David looked at the startling way in which Winsome Sears cut her ties with Donald Trump after rising to prominence as a staunch soldier in the Trump army. That clearly caught some people by surprise, though not everyone. Sears wasn’t alone, however. Another fervent Trump supporter has appeared to similarly throw in the towel. Famed cartoonist Scott Adams, best known for his iconic Dilbert series, made a very brief but apparently definitive declaration on Twitter yesterday. He was responding to news that Trump was attacking Virginia Governor Glenn Youngkin for reasons that weren’t entirely clear. This was apparently a bridge too far for Adams, who simply typed out three words. “Yeah, I’m out.” (Raw Story)

Dilbert cartoonist Scott Adams has stuck by Donald Trump through countless scandals throughout the years, from getting caught on camera boasting about sexually assaulting women to getting impeached for trying to shake down the Ukrainian government for dirt on political rivals, and for getting impeached again for inciting a deadly riot at the United States Capitol building.
Now, however, Adams on Friday said he’s finally had enough, and it came after Trump unloaded on Republican Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin for an unspecified reason.
“Yeah, I’m out,” Adams wrote in response to Trump’s attack on Youngkin.

Here’s the tweet heard ’round the world.

Scott Adams has survived prolonged attempts by liberals to “cancel” him for his fierce loyalty to Donald Trump from the beginning of his first campaign. His anti-Trump detractors never stopped him, but he clearly lost some book sales because of his choice. Some liberal outlets accused him of having been “hypnotized by Trump.” (As if that’s the only way a rational person could have supported the previous president.)

But now he’s apparently done. I’ve had mixed emotions about this situation, particularly since the disappointing results of the midterms. It is flatly unfair to lay all the blame for Tuesday’s results on Donald Trump’s doorstep. Some of the candidates he endorsed actually did pretty well, while others underperformed. It was a mixed bag and it seems clear that he wasn’t always focused on overall candidate quality as much as brand loyalty.

Hijinx

The best man for President may not be a man.

I am impressed with Kari Lake. It might be a bit early yet to tell what might happen and she could use some experience she might gain in Arizona, We should watch and see how she handles herself, but what impressed me was the way she was ready for the questions and she answered with the truth. Maybe not this time around but she might be a comer in the next.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
OMG those people are so boring. Trump needs to be like, **** this country and **** all ya'll, and go build his literal war chest for the coming breakdown. Then the GOP scum can bang on his door desperate for shelter and some food, and he can give them the finger while he eats a well-done steak with ketchup on it right in front of them. "Oh, dang, this one's a little rare (throws it in the trash and grills another one)." Finish it up with TWO SCOOPS of ice cream and a Diet Coke chaser.

Revenge is, as they say, best served cold and I have no doubt all the whiny ass Republicans who want what doesn't exist will get what's coming to them.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
OMG those people are so boring. Trump needs to be like, **** this country and **** all ya'll, and go build his literal war chest for the coming breakdown. Then the GOP scum can bang on his door desperate for shelter and some food, and he can give them the finger while he eats a well-done steak with ketchup on it right in front of them. "Oh, dang, this one's a little rare (throws it in the trash and grills another one)." Finish it up with TWO SCOOPS of ice cream and a Diet Coke chaser.

Revenge is, as they say, best served cold and I have no doubt all the whiny ass Republicans who want what doesn't exist will get what's coming to them.
Did @kwillia cook that steak? :faint: