Taj Mahal of Valley Lee

PeoplesElbow

I've always wondered how fire departments got into the wedding reception business and why that's considered an OK use of tax money.

OccamsRazor

I've always wondered how fire departments got into the wedding reception business and why that's considered an OK use of tax money.
I have always wondered where the wedding reception rentals, bingo monies (when they had them), and carnival proceeds go. Basically where does any of that money get spent and what is it spent on?

UglyBear

In the olden times, in times of yore, VFD was a secular social center of a rural community — a place for kids and adults to hang out on the weekend. So makes sense, wedding ceremony at a church, then reception at the VFD hall — large space, commercial kitchen, parking lot.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
In the olden times, in times of yore, VFD was a secular social center of a rural community — a place for kids and adults to hang out on the weekend. So makes sense, wedding ceremony at a church, then reception at the VFD hall — large space, commercial kitchen, parking lot.
That's where all the wedding receptions were held when I was growing up. (Or..trying to grow up anyways). And the firehouse had some ladies that were superb event cooks too.

You could pretty much decorate the event hall as you pleased. There were always enough tables and chairs in the hall storeroom to seat enough to completely fill it. For about ever Valley Lee had a monthly breakfast at the firehouse event hall. Forget about that ever coming back.

PeoplesElbow

The small town I'm from the vfd does not have a social center. There is a civic center in town for stuff like that, also the school cafeterias, gym etc is used for that stuff.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The small town I'm from the vfd does not have a social center.

A garage-like building with two or three vehicle bays and a heated room off the side was adequate for 100 years. Some small towns still have only that.

But for reasons unknown, our local merry batch of cellar-savers managed to finagle the funds for a full-on palace.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
When I drive by, I was sure it would be a real community center. Very surprised to hear it won't have those facilities, as huge as it is.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
When I drive by, I was sure it would be a real community center. Very surprised to hear it won't have those facilities, as huge as it is.

It will have a u-shaped bar area with two dance poles instead. No luck hiring any dancers yet, though.

stgislander

PREMO Member
As Gilligan stated earlier, they are trying to get the County to take over the old station as a Community Center to eliminate that resource drain.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I have always wondered where the wedding reception rentals, bingo monies (when they had them), and carnival proceeds go. Basically where does any of that money get spent and what is it spent on?
New apparatus, building maintenance, training. (I guess)

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
As Gilligan stated earlier, they are trying to get the County to take over the old station as a Community Center to eliminate that resource drain.
I get that, and it makes sense, just expected more local use from such a huge place.

OccamsRazor

New apparatus, building maintenance, training. (I guess)
If this is the case then my questions shift to this: Are there mandatory "fund raising" requirements for each station levied by the county? As such, would each station have to come up with X-amount of dollars each year to offset the tax-funded monies poured into their station(s)? If not, and if they get a set amount each year to fund operations, then what is happening to all of the extra funds from carnivals, hall rental, etc.?

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
The small town I'm from the vfd does not have a social center. There is a civic center in town for stuff like that, also the school cafeterias, gym etc is used for that stuff.
That is like the village in northern Illinois where Anita and I lived.
Facilities were across the street from each other, on the village square.

black dog

Free America
If this is the case then my questions shift to this: Are there mandatory "fund raising" requirements for each station levied by the county? As such, would each station have to come up with X-amount of dollars each year to offset the tax-funded monies poured into their station(s)? If not, and if they get a set amount each year to fund operations, then what is happening to all of the extra funds from carnivals, hall rental, etc.?

The members of Bethesda Chevy Chase Rescue Squad have had that requirement since before I was a kid. I dont know if its required by the Rescue Squad or the county.

nobody really

I need a nap
i know a few first responders. all are 100% dedicated, spend alot of time at their respective fire depts. I suggest that if you have a problem with the exorbitant Fire depts, let the members know. let the 20 year old that pulled the crispy couple out of the car in mech. let the 32 mother of 2 who just pulled a decapitated child out of a car know that they dont deserve bldgs like that. they need to do their job, and get the fluck home to their families. no big houses for them to hang out in. nope. now i sit back and watch the comments pile up