Tesla

PeoplesElbow

So, the JD Power equates customer complaints, no matter how silly, with quality. Dont like how the steering in your new Corvette feels because you came from a 1978 Lincoln Marquis De Sade? Thats an "initial quality" hit, even though the vehicle is operating as designed.
Yep, total horse crap.

An engine failure counts the same as a faulty cupholder.

This is one of my favorite videos

Clem72

Wonder what upgrades would have to be made.

Not all that confident in JD Power awards co sidering how many GM vehicles won duRing their worst years,

Okay, well check whatever publication you like then. Car and Driver gave the KIA Telluride their pick for best full sized SUV as part of their top ten cars of 2021, and KIA is all over their editor's choice cars for 2021 (and previous years).
https://www.caranddriver.com/shopping-advice/a35536605/2021-editors-choice/

I don't actually own a Kia, so i'm not fanboy'ing for them, just putting it out there that they seem to be a quality product these days.

PeoplesElbow

Stuff like this makes absolutely no sense, demonstrates hurdles in the way.

glhs837

Power with Control
Stuff like this makes absolutely no sense, demonstrates hurdles in the way.

Friken insane, isnt it. But you know, hurdles are for jumping.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Hmm Soy on the wiring instead of Plastic

Not such a smart idea .... To Be Fair .... Tesla isn't the only Automaker

Rodents chow down on Teslas, causing thousands in damage

Automakers have been getting slammed for years with complaints of their allegedly rat-friendly soy-based wiring. And like Tesla, they have all refused to cover the damage, claiming that rats chewing on car innards is the result of nature and therefore not their problem.

“It is a long-established fact that rodents are drawn to chew on electrical wiring in homes, cars or anywhere else they may choose to nest,” Honda told the Chicago Sun-Times in June about an Illinois man’s efforts to bring a class-action case against it.

Tesla so far only appears to be unique in having escaped legal action tied to its use of soy materials. But that could change as complaints about rats in Teslas appear to rise along with the popularity of the brand, now valued at $632 billion.

glhs837

Power with Control
Up here at Teeter, about 30 or more of them gathered by the Superchargers, hanging out, answering question for the curious, of which I've seen 8-10 approach the group while I wait for someone to get seen at the urgent care. Even saw a couple hop in a Model Y for a test ride.

glhs837

Power with Control
Where my metals expert at?

This looks like after developing the alloy they used for the Model Ys rear "mega casting" they didnt stop, but kept on looking for other alloys, ones with desirable characteristics depending on specific application..... Maybe the Models larger front casting, being larger and also part of the front crumple zone, needed to differ? Also, we know the Cybertruck will use megacastings both front and rear, which I'm sure will be subjected to different/larger loads than the model Y ever will.

“In one embodiment, the alloy comprises a yield strength of at least about 130 MPa and a bend angle of at least about 20° at a 3 mm section thickness when as-cast and without further processing. In one embodiment, the aluminum alloys comprise vanadium to provide many of these enhancements. In another embodiment, the aluminum alloy has a specific weight ratio of copper to magnesium to provide many of these enhancements of an alloy with the desired features. In one embodiment, the aluminum alloy has a weight ratio of Cu:Mg of about 4:1 to about 1: 1. In one embodiment, the aluminum alloy has a weight ratio of Cu:Mg of about 4: 1 to about 2: 1.

“As mentioned below, aluminum alloys with these compositions were found to have high yield strength and high ductility compared to available aluminum alloys. As mentioned below, the aluminum alloys are described herein by the weight percent (wt %) of the total elements and particles within the alloy, as well as specific properties of the alloys, it will be understood that the remaining composition of any alloy described herein is aluminum and incidental impurities.”

PeoplesElbow

Where my metals expert at?

This looks like after developing the alloy they used for the Model Ys rear "mega casting" they didnt stop, but kept on looking for other alloys, ones with desirable characteristics depending on specific application..... Maybe the Models larger front casting, being larger and also part of the front crumple zone, needed to differ? Also, we know the Cybertruck will use megacastings both front and rear, which I'm sure will be subjected to different/larger loads than the model Y ever will.

Not especially strong for AL, but probably on the upper end for die cast AL.

Probably the most versatile alloy used in aerospace

The strongest typically used is 7075 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/7075_aluminium_alloy

I am waiting on fiber impregnated epoxy resin chassis parts. The bed of my Tacoma is made out of some sort of epoxy based resin and its amazing.

glhs837

Power with Control
Not especially strong for AL, but probably on the upper end for die cast AL.

Probably the most versatile alloy used in aerospace

The strongest typically used is 7075 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/7075_aluminium_alloy

I am waiting on fiber impregnated epoxy resin chassis parts. The bed of my Tacoma is made out of some sort of epoxy based resin and its amazing.
But can you make large like 150lb parts through HPDC that don't require any post casting treatment or finishing out of those alloys? I think the new machines are doing castings that big in 8,000 ton presses. 90 second cycle times.

PeoplesElbow

But can you make large like 150lb parts through HPDC that don't require any post casting treatment or finishing out of those alloys? I think the new machines are doing castings that big in 8,000 ton presses. 90 second cycle times.
The big advantage is speed of process and strong enough.

A Tesla that reaches the end of it's life should be more valuable than a standard car in recycle payout.

glhs837

Power with Control
The big advantage is speed of process and strong enough.

A Tesla that reaches the end of it's life should be more valuable than a standard car in recycle payout.

Oh, certainly, the Cybertruck even more so, I suspect. More of that aluminum than any other, larger battery pack,, and all that stainless steel. Of course, then the question ends up being when end of life is. Cant really use the Model S/X, at least the older ones, as those battery packs are an older design. Model 3 and Y packs should be 300K or better, body supposed to be designed for 500K. And the new cells, once those are nailed down, should make for a 500K or better battery pack. With a life in stationary storage after that.

PeoplesElbow

I think what would change a lot of people's minds is make the packs easily swappable and you lease the pack so people don't worry about buying a $10k battery for an otherwise fine vehicle. Imagine exchanges like with propane tanks at highway rest stops, there is the quick refill many stick with gas for.