The Life of an Addict

C

czygvtwkr

Most diabetes is caused by poor choices. How can you say diabetes, a self-caused disease, is a disease but addiction is not?

Same for many cancers. Most skin cancers are caused by the choices people make. Is malignant melanoma a disease? If a smoker gets lung cancer or a chewer gets lip cancer is it a disease?

How about heart disease? Almost all of it is caused by poor choices. Is it only a disease if you eat right, but if you eat too many burgers it is no longer a disease?

You may not have any sympathy for those who become addicted, but that does not mean that the addiction is not a disease.

Most type II diabetes is caused by poor choices, type I have some sort of defect in their pancreas. There are a lot of otherwise healthy people with heart disease, me on the other hand I am over weight and eat like a garbage disposal and have low cholesterol.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Most type II diabetes is caused by poor choices, type I have some sort of defect in their pancreas. There are a lot of otherwise healthy people with heart disease, me on the other hand I am over weight and eat like a garbage disposal and have low cholesterol.

Well that cannot be possible. EVERY! disease is a choice and brought on by personal behavior, which makes drug addiction a disease.

So you people with your Celiac kids, MMD says that kid needs to make better personal choices for their health.

:rolleyes:

Honestly, some of the freaking outright in your face stupidity that goes on around here....

bilbur

Well that cannot be possible. EVERY! disease is a choice and brought on by personal behavior, which makes drug addiction a disease.

So you people with your Celiac kids, MMD says that kid needs to make better personal choices for their health.

:rolleyes:

Honestly, some of the freaking outright in your face stupidity that goes on around here....

Even the diseases brought on by poor choices have one major difference with addicts. Once the person has the disease they cannot get rid of it by just quitting what they are doing like drugs.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Even the diseases brought on by poor choices have one major difference with addicts. Once the person has the disease they cannot get rid of it by just quitting what they are doing like drugs.

Supposedly you can be a lifelong smoker with your skin hanging off your face and a hole in your throat, but if you quit the sun will come out, unicorns will frolic, and you will look and feel 20 years younger.

:shrug:

Which I've always thought was a bad way to try and deter kids from smoking - tell them their face and body will rot and their teeth will fall out. Then they see some long time smoker like me who, at 50, is freaking fabulous looking and go, ":confused:"

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
(I really struggle to make myself understood)

Not all smokers/drinkers go on to more. I believe most do not.

But, I'd bet anything that every heroin user started there.

The other young men who were friends with my son really struggle with "is it a disease or a choice". They used to party right along beside him, up until 22-25 yrs of age. At that point, they made the choice to quit and grow up - and were able to stop the illegal drugs when they CHOOSE to.

The still smoke, many wishing they could quit. They still drink, some more than they should.

And they are the ones most disturbed/upset/irritated that my son won't/can't quit.

Did the drugs to something different to his brain chemistry than it did to their's? I don't know.

MarieB

Not all smokers/drinkers go on to more. I believe most do not.

But, I'd bet anything that every heroin user started there.

The other young men who were friends with my son really struggle with "is it a disease or a choice". They used to party right along beside him, up until 22-25 yrs of age. At that point, they made the choice to quit and grow up - and were able to stop the illegal drugs when they CHOOSE to.

The still smoke, many wishing they could quit. They still drink, some more than they should.

And they are the ones most disturbed/upset/irritated that my son won't/can't quit.

Did the drugs to something different to his brain chemistry than it did to their's? I don't know.

Perhaps your son had some underlying issue that they did not have? It's often said that some (all?) addicts like that are trying to escape something. It's hard to say whether that was initially the case. I know in my niece's case, she was definitely escaping by using drugs.

queencity28

Yes, drugs alter brain chemistry. That is why I think the term disease comes into play. Because, while you can quit drug use, the damage done to your brain from meth, coke, opioids....your brained is f##ked

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Without benefit of rehab; without DTs; without intervention. How can that be?

When I quit, it was cold turkey. My aunt (only 9 years older than I am) had a heart attack at 50. My kids were still so young it hit me like a ton of bricks. With all the heart disease in my family, I quit that day. (and added the Cardio exercise component)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

You and I talked about this at lunch: I honestly don't think there's any rhyme or reason to it. You see people from all walks of life, from all family situations, become alcoholics or drug addicts. People who have a dysfunctional family history of addiction, and people who are the black sheep of their small town Susie Creamcheese church going family.

I believe it's one of those "just 'cuz" things and there's no sense in trying to find a reason because there isn't one.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
When I quit, it was cold turkey.

Most of the people I know who quit, it was with minimal drama. They just...quit. I know of no - that would be zero - drug addicts or chronic alcoholics who had the same experience.

So to say that nicotine is just as or more addictive than heroin or cocaine is just stupid. There is demonstrable evidence with real human test subjects that prove that is simply not the case.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Q: Do you turn to inferior companions and environments when drinking?

:killingme

Q: Does your drinking make you careless of your family's welfare?

I guess waking up with a hooker was a bad thing :shrug:

Q: Has your ambition decreased since drinking?

you are assuming I had Ambition before I started drinking

Q: Do you crave a drink at a definite time daily?

it's 5 o'clock somewhere ......

Q: Do you drink to escape from worries or trouble?

life is for people that cannot handle drugs ....

Q: Do you drink alone?

why would I want to drink with others if I cannot stand people ....

Q: Have you ever had a loss of memory as a result of drinking?

I think so, but I cannot remember ...

Q: Do you drink to build up your self-confidence?

ofc how else does a nerd like me get the will power to ask a 8 out on a date ...

You answered 4 items out of 20 Yes.

Your score is 20%. According to the Office of Health Care Programs, Johns Hopkins University Hospital, developers of this screening quiz, if you answered 3 of these questions with a Yes it is a definite sign that your drinking patterns are harmful and possibly considered alcohol dependent or alcoholic. You may want to seek an evaluation by a healthcare professional.

wow really ...
.... because I have NOT had a drink in 5 months

:killingme

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Yeah, former smoker that quit cold turkey 20 years ago.

Mind over matter... It's all in your mind. If you are tuned in, you can do it. The weak suffer, the strong survive.

I am kinda addicted to living :shrug:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Yeah, according to that quiz I'm a drunk, too. They don't differentiate between "do you frequently..." and "have you ever..."

yes exactly

ONCE I drank too much and have NO Idea how I got home

[well I was driving but ....]