Tony Stewart runs over another racer...

MMDad

Lem Putt
Involuntary manslaughter

Wait a minute - you said he swerved to hit him. That isn't involuntary manslaughter. Make up your mind. Did he do it on purpose and deserve a 2nd degree murder charge? Or did the kid run into his path and he deserves no charge?

I saw the video. He's headed toward the bottom of the track. When the car before Stewart passes, he takes a hard turn straight toward Stewart. The kid wasn't standing there, he was rushing straight for Stewart, unlike what he was doing for the other cars. Sad that the kid had to pay for his mistake with his life, but when you play stupid games you win stupid prizes.

CrashTest

Wait a minute - you said he swerved to hit him. That isn't involuntary manslaughter. Make up your mind. Did he do it on purpose and deserve a 2nd degree murder charge? Or did the kid run into his path and he deserves no charge?

I saw the video. He's headed toward the bottom of the track. When the car before Stewart passes, he takes a hard turn straight toward Stewart. The kid wasn't standing there, he was rushing straight for Stewart, unlike what he was doing for the other cars. Sad that the kid had to pay for his mistake with his life, but when you play stupid games you win stupid prizes.

Perhaps he didn't swerve to hit him. Perhaps he swerved just to scare him (which is what I believe happened) and hit him by mistake. That would be involuntary.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Perhaps he didn't swerve to hit him. Perhaps he swerved just to scare him (which is what I believe happened) and hit him by mistake. That would be involuntary.

You can't 'swerve' those things. It's dirt, it's slippery. Every driver comment I've read says the actions of Stewarts car are of a driver trying to AVOID. I've read drivers in the race say they saw him but, I haven't heard of any of them saying "He hit him on purpose"

AnthonyJames

R.I.P. My Brother Rick
This is what I believe also

You can't 'swerve' those things. It's dirt, it's slippery. Every driver comment I've read says the actions of Stewarts car are of a driver trying to AVOID. I've read drivers in the race say they saw him but, I haven't heard of any of them saying "He hit him on purpose"

CrashTest hasn't said that either.

MMDad

Lem Putt

Either he has the control to put the car precisely where he wants it, in which case it's intentional, or he does not have that kind of control and it was a pure accident. The idea that he had the control to put it right where he wanted it yet did not have the control to avoid hitting him is not logical. You can't have it both ways - that he had the level of control to initiate the "scare" but not enough to miss.

Why are you ignoring the fact that Ward turned and rushed at Stewart while Stewart was in the middle of a turn? The video shows that Stewart was faced with a no win - either try to tighten his turn by hitting the gas, or take no action and hit him. Either way you would be calling him a murderer.

AnthonyJames

R.I.P. My Brother Rick
246498_4655321665930_153810361_n[1].jpg
Either he has the control to put the car precisely where he wants it, in which case it's intentional, or he does not have that kind of control and it was a pure accident. The idea that he had the control to put it right where he wanted it yet did not have the control to avoid hitting him is not logical. You can't have it both ways - that he had the level of control to initiate the "scare" but not enough to miss.

Why are you ignoring the fact that Ward turned and rushed at Stewart while Stewart was in the middle of a turn? The video shows that Stewart was faced with a no win - either try to tighten his turn by hitting the gas, or take no action and hit him. Either way you would be calling him a murderer.
246498_4655321665930_153810361_n[1].jpg

CrashTest

He clearly had a history of hot headedness. At least he did when he jumped out of his car and ran out onto the track because he was all pissed off.

A one time event does not constitute a history. History by definition implies events in the past.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
I want to make sure I understand. I thought I did, but apparently not.

Cars zipping around a race track. One driver gets out of his car and walks into the path of the other racing cars. He gets hit, and the driver of the car that hit him could perhaps be charged?

We don't give a damn if football players beat their wives and children to a pulp, but we care very much if a race car driver hits a pedestrian who decides to take a stroll down the track in the middle of a race?

What am I missing here?

Could you let me know when you find out, please, I am obviously missing the same thing. :popcorn:

Bann

There is a good possibility it was an intentional hit. Or a 'scare tactic' that backfired. Everyone else managed to see and miss the guy on the track, but a seasoned veteran did not?

Oh, please.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Everyone else managed to see and miss the guy on the track, but a seasoned veteran did not?
The difference here is the Darwin candidate did not run down into the path of other cars that missed him as he did to Stewarts car.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The difference here is the Darwin candidate did not run down into the path of other cars that missed him as he did to Stewarts car.

Why isn't that obvious??? Even if we didn't have the video, it simply makes sense; driver gets wrecked by another, gets out, pissed, wagging his finger, shaking his fist, gets too close trying to make his point. We don't even need to see that to figure something bad then happened.

This, literally, is like playing in traffic; WTF did we expect to happen? This same split second thing we're trying to hang on Stewart could apply to some poor Joe or Jane who runs your kid or dog over; "You should have been paying MORE attention! Should have been more careful and this would not have happened!!!" Yeah? Well, it's not like they came up on the sidewalk or into the yard to get your loved one.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So where were you in the Ray Rice threads? :tap:

That's actually an interesting analogy. Ray is the kid in that scenario, felt provoked, put upon, attacked, lost his cool and lashed back but, in this case, it wasn't at a much smaller woman; it was a race car.

Bann

A one time event does not constitute a history. History by definition implies events in the past.

Oh, come off it. He was a bit of a hot head, as well. Here's an event from his past: (just one article from a quick search)
He was named Rookie of the Year, and displayed flamboyance, letting off steam by throwing a wrench or flipping off the starter when he felt he got jumped at the start. Dean Reynolds remembers Ward Jr.’s ire well from a race at Rolling Wheels Raceway in Weedsport, N.Y.

“One hundred miles an hour, one handed, flipping me the bird,” Reynolds says. “He came down, laughed at me and said, ‘How was that?’”
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/zone-life-death-kevin-ward-jr-article-1.1905813
You're being very disingenuous at best. The very act of him jumping out of his vehicle as if to go after TS in what is obviously a very dangerous situation, speaks to just how hot headed he was.

Anyhoo, it's actually quite entertaining to watch you pretzel twist this to fit your argument, though. I check into the thread just to count the ways you do. :buddies: