Tuesday

What are you going to do Tuesday?

• I'm going to DC to be a part of it all

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I'm not going but will be glued to the TV

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • It's just another day for me. Nutin' special

Votes: 53 57.0%
  • I think I will lock myself in the bedroom that day and mourn. It's a sad day for America!

Votes: 26 28.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black-Francis

I am not stupid, but apparently you are. And you're also a racist because you see the n-word in connection with a black man, when no such thing was posted.

Probably because I have witnessed racism "first hand"..... I grew up in a household with an african american, so therefore I am a little sensitive on the subject. I am far from being a racist and I resent that.....You can call me stupid all you want but don't call me a racist.

bcp

In My Opinion
Really? I remember that when I was in the 2nd grade schools were integrated. I remember the buses pulling up with all of those new black kids. I remember how afraid I was.

Opportunity most definitely changed in my lifetime and I am a good bit younger than you.
I think that was part of bussing, not exclusion.
There were blacks in my class in the first grade,, 1963, but they lived in the same school district as I did. other side of the tracks so to speak, but the same district.

bcp

In My Opinion
Probably because I have witnessed racism "first hand"..... I grew up in a household with an african american, so therefore I am a little sensitive on the subject. I am far from being a racist and I resent that.....You can call me stupid all you want but don't call me a racist.
if you witness it first hand is it ok to speak about it freely?

does this go for everything?

K

Kain99

I think that was part of bussing, not exclusion.
There were blacks in my class in the first grade,, 1963, but they lived in the same school district as I did. other side of the tracks so to speak, but the same district.

I lived in Waldorf so I'm not 100% sure that's true.

Nupe2

You must be a good bit older than I am, because I do not remember a time when blacks did not have the same opportunities as whites. The black kids in my kindergarten class - yes, that would be when I was 5 years old - drank from the same water fountain as the white kids and used the same restroom, not to mention ate in the same cafeteria, and none of us thought a thing about it. And I find it hard to believe that Lincoln, NE was the *only* non-racial city in America.

If a white man had accomplished what Obama has accomplished, would it be noteworthy?

There's your answer.

I believe your statement is an argument of the specific vs. the general. My comment was based on a general observation of the relatively recent history of this country. To argue from your perspective, I offer the following specifics:

I am a bit older (54). I do remember being called a n****r on the first day of first grade in 1960 (at a Catholic School in DC) and being called the same on my first day of school at Bishop McNamara in 1968. I also remember not being able to shop in Garfinkel's in DC and my mother refusing to take me on the trolley cars in DC (yes they had them in the early 60s) because we had to sit in the back. I also remember packing food for our trips to my grandparents in Virginia and pulling to the side of the road to use the bathroom because we could not get service or use restrooms along the way. I could go on but you should get the picture. Things have changed Vrai, and your failure to acknowledge or admit that is sad.

As far as recognition of Mr. Obama's accomplishments, every 4 years prior to this, we have celebrated the accomplishments of a select few white men. They were elected President of the United States! I'd say that was a pretty large and impressive feat for which they have been duly recognized, and in the same manner as Mr. Obama. The only apparent difference at this point is the outpouring of people and emotions associated with this election. This is a celebration of hope for America and is the result of a fair election and peaceful transition of power. Why do you have a problem giving Mr. Obama his due?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

I will call you what I observe you to be and you can resent it all you like.

You probably think you're the only white devil in America with a black friend or family member, but let me assure you that you are not. You may also think you are the only white devil who has seen and identified racism - surprise!

I do not automatically think of racial slurs in connection with a black man. Apparently, you do.

I do not think the only reason a black person might be treated poorly is because of their race. White people get crappy service just the same as blacks do.

There is a segment of our society that is trying desperately to get people like me to to think of blacks as "different" and "separate". Sorry to disappoint. I refuse to consider skin color in connection with anyone, regardless of their race. I will not applaud their piddling "accomplishments" simply because they're black.

Nor will I patronize them and pet them in any way, shape or form. That is for white-guilt liberals, and I am not one of those.

So feel free to call me a racist all you want and question my frank and honest statements. I know what I am, and I know what you are as well.

Black-Francis

Then what makes it racist, or not ok to talk about how the blacks acted in school and come up with certain expectations based on ones personal experience?

What are you talking about?...... I never commented on how blacks acted in school.....

My whole point in this thread is I know how much hate Sonsie harbors..... In the same post where she used 6 x's for a derogatory word, she also wished OUR new president cancer. If everyone wants to turn it around and claim that I am the racist....so be it! Sonsie knows what she/it meant and she/it made it 6 letters on purpose.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I remember the buses pulling up with all of those new black kids. I remember how afraid I was.

Well, things were a bit different where I come from. Black kids didn't take the bus - they walked to school with everyone else because they lived in our same neighborhood. That's right - our neighborhoods weren't segregated, either.

But I also didn't grow up on the east coast - I grew up in the midwest, where racism apparently wasn't as prevalent. Larry tells stories about growing up in Laurel that I can't relate to, having never experienced anything like that.

And, again, I find it hard to believe that my hometown is the ONLY place where different races coexisted without strife and nobody thought a thing of it.

bcp

In My Opinion
Read my post. Insofar as his election to the Presidency of the United States, he has.
In my opinion I think that some things should be accomplished prior to taking that office. Those things, he has not accomplished, like leadership of any sort.
so no, I honestly think he won the election soley based on the color of his skin, and the pandering of the news during the campaign.

he did not "earn" the position, it was more or less given to him.

He might earn the respect once he is in, but still, I of all the jobs that are given based on the ability to learn, President is not one of them. And not when the country is in such dire straights.

we needed a president that could jump in running and have a clue what to do.

and no, McCain was not that person either.

bcp

In My Opinion
What are you talking about?...... I never commented on how blacks acted in school.....

My whole point in this thread is I know how much hate Sonsie harbors..... In the same post where she used 6 x's for a derogatory word, she also wished OUR new president cancer. If everyone wants to turn it around and claim that I am the racist....so be it! Sonsie knows what she/it meant and she/it made it 6 letters on purpose.
yes, Sonsie knows, but you really dont.
you are basing it on a pre concieved perception. What do they call that again?

be honest, I was, I saw the N word because of what I perceived in my mind, not because of what I perceived in Sonsies mind. You could admit the same.

I before E except after C

ODB

I will call you what I observe you to be and you can resent it all you like.

You probably think you're the only white devil in America with a black friend or family member, but let me assure you that you are not. You may also think you are the only white devil who has seen and identified racism - surprise!

I do not automatically think of racial slurs in connection with a black man. Apparently, you do.

I do not think the only reason a black person might be treated poorly is because of their race. White people get crappy service just the same as blacks do.

There is a segment of our society that is trying desperately to get people like me to to think of blacks as "different" and "separate". Sorry to disappoint. I refuse to consider skin color in connection with anyone, regardless of their race. I will not applaud their piddling "accomplishments" simply because they're black.

Nor will I patronize them and pet them in any way, shape or form. That is for white-guilt liberals, and I am not one of those.

So feel free to call me a racist all you want and question my frank and honest statements. I know what I am, and I know what you are as well.

No wonder Larry can't live with you. You are annoying.

Nupe2

....And, again, I find it hard to believe that my hometown is the ONLY place where different races coexisted without strife and nobody thought a thing of it.

It might have been. I did visit Grand Island in 68 and the people there were nice. :coffee:

Status
Not open for further replies.