Welcome Back NHL

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
Media and everyone else needs to stop blamming "injuries" for the CAPS. Thats why there are other hockey players on the team.

Vokun looked awful. Question remains on what kind of trades will happen.

I have also been rooting for Boudreau and the Ducks. CAPS would be in better shape with BB as coach

I have managed to catch most of the games this season, from what I see IMO there has not been any great difference in play between BB or DH.

Hank

my war
No kidding. And the one thing that I've always hated about the NHL's playoff seeding is that one of those sorry teams is going to get the #3 spot.

Why? DC has only lost 5 more games than Pitt and 6 more than Boston out of 62 games... It's not like they are that far apart...

Baz

This. ------------------>
Why? DC has only lost 5 more games than Pitt and 6 more than Boston out of 62 games... It's not like they are that far apart...

Because teams with fewer points shouldn't be seeded higher than those with more. Winning a division should guarantee you a spot in the playoffs (if they must have divisions), but not a higher seeding than the points otherwise dictate.

I'd rather they do away with divisions altogether, but that isn't likely to happen.

ccRes

Couldn't it be argued that a division that is more evenly matched would be harder to run away and rack up points ala Vancouver, not to say they don't have a great team this season. The south east is a push over this season but still think that a caps team can match up and beat any one in the NHL on a good night.

Because teams with fewer points shouldn't be seeded higher than those with more. Winning a division should guarantee you a spot in the playoffs (if they must have divisions), but not a higher seeding than the points otherwise dictate.

I'd rather they do away with divisions altogether, but that isn't likely to happen.

LordStanley

I know nothing
Couldn't it be argued that a division that is more evenly matched would be harder to run away and rack up points ala Vancouver, not to say they don't have a great team this season. The south east is a push over this season but still think that a caps team can match up and beat any one in the NHL on a good night.

:killingme

Baz

I get what you're saying, and yes, teams within an evenly matched division could be expected to basically cancel each other out in intradivision play. But being evenly matched doesn't mean that those teams are necessarily good. Teams in a good division should have a pretty good record outside that division, which is what would put them in the upper tier of the conference standings.

By the way, one stat I use to help figure out which teams are truly good is the goal differential stat. While a couple of blowouts either way can skew that short term, over the long term I think it shows the total quality of a team outside of simple wins and losses.
2011-2012 Division Standings Standings - NHL.com - Standings
The Southeast is the only division where every team has a negative goal differential, with the Jets "leading" the division with -11. That tells me that while the divison may be evenly matched, it's not evenly matched with very good teams.

I don't watch a ton of Caps games, so maybe it's more obvious to Caps fans than it is to me, but I have no idea why the Caps are as bad as they are this year. My only guess would be lack of discipline or possibly lacking enthusiasm and work ethic, for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Sweet 16

^^8^^
My only guess would be lack of discipline or possibly lacking enthusiasm and work ethic, for whatever reason.

^ ^
This is obvious. It's the "whatever reason" that is hard to figure out. Painful to watch night after night.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
Did anyone happen to catch the shootout last night or have we all given up on the Caps? Sick moves by Ovie and Hendy and 4-in-a-row for the team finally! Also, Backstrom is skating again.

:yahoo:

b23hqb

PREMO Member

NHL realignment is just around the corner. Then we'll see who is happy or not. Can't wait to see where the Lightning get stuck...:1bdz:

Last edited:

Hank

my war
b23hqb said:
NHL realignment is just around the corner. Then we'll see who is happy or not. Can't wait to see where the Lightning get stuck...:1bdz:

They cancelled that realignment for now.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
They cancelled that realignment for now.

I just checked, and you be right on. Just another union move.

That really sucks for teams in the SE that have to go to Winnipeg a bunch of times for games in their own division, especially the two Fl teams.

Hank

my war
I just checked, and you be right on. Just another union move.

That really sucks for teams in the SE that have to go to Winnipeg a bunch of times for games in their own division, especially the two Fl teams.

Winnipeg & Nashville should switch divisions....

Sweet 16

^^8^^
I enjoyed Orlov's move. :lol: Glad Backi is skating.

And dont'cha know that was the ONLY mention of that incredible game on nhl.com yesterday? Nothing about overcoming two 3-goal deficits and the spectacular SO moves by Ovie and Hendy. But no, they're not biased against the Caps or anything..... :ohwell:

Baz

And dont'cha know that was the ONLY mention of that incredible game on nhl.com yesterday? Nothing about overcoming two 3-goal deficits and the spectacular SO moves by Ovie and Hendy. But no, they're not biased against the Caps or anything..... :ohwell:

:rolleyes: