What businesses are missing in Southern Maryland

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I agree with needing a shooting range in St. Mary's AND Calvert, and also agree we need an auto parts store in Southern Calvert.

I also agree with the point about local, not-a-chain businesses. One problem is being competitive in pricing, selection, and availability in a retail store; in a restaurant the problems seem to be in food quality, menu, and service.

I also agree that online buying is hurting more traditional businesses - it's hard to beat being able to shop from home.

Bavarian

This place is too built up already. If you don't find it here go to Waldorf or Annapolis.
When I came here 235 was a two lane road, only store on 235 until the Hollywood Light was Happy Hamburger. Great Mills Rd was the shopping area, we had a Safeway, they left when they were stopped by the townhouses from expanding. Now it is Rexel Electric Supply, Hewitt's and Dyson's were the hardware stores, and Dyson's still has better selection than Lowe's. Was big deal when 84 lumber company came. Two old style movie theathers.

OldHillcrestGuy

Okay, I'd like to see a outlet place, like Leesburg, Hagerstown, or Queenstown (Prime Outlets or Tangier). It has to have a Rockport outlet so I can get my shoes. Think a good place for it would be on 301 in the area of 234, that way it wouldnt be too far from St. Marys. Clear out some of those old motels and trucks stops, from the bridge up to LaPlata.

Make it look nicer along 301, not very pretty picture for travelers once you come over the bridge from Va., not a very good first impression of Maryland.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
:yeahthat:

I have a problem with folks who say they move here or live here because of the "rural atmosphere" or to get away from the "urban" areas and then proceed to advocate bringing all of the "urban" here.

If we don't have it here, drive to it.

If you don't like driving to it, move back to it and leave my "rural" alone.

Most of them don't know what rural even means: they ##### about the farmers, they ##### about the animals, they ##### about the deer, they ##### about the watermen, they ##### about wind off the water, they ##### about the roads, they ##### because they don't have a streetlight, they ##### that they don't have a sidewalk, they ##### because they don't have a chain restaurant, they ##### about having to have a PO box, they ##### about people's accents, they ##### about hunting, they ##### about the architecture of 100 year old houses, they ##### about people having "too many cars", they ##### about chain link fences and on and on and on.

Most of them don't know what rural even means: they ##### about the farmers, they ##### about the animals, they ##### about the deer, they ##### about the watermen, they ##### about wind off the water, they ##### about the roads, they ##### because they don't have a streetlight, they ##### that they don't have a sidewalk, they ##### because they don't have a chain restaurant, they ##### about having to have a PO box, they ##### about people's accents, they ##### about hunting, they ##### about the architecture of 100 year old houses, they ##### about people having "too many cars", they ##### about chain link fences and on and on and on.

You just described where I grew up, only the farmers were potato farmers and the watermen were clammers and scallopers. Everyone knew everyone for miles around. As a kid you didn't dare step out of line because you knew someone would be calling your mom.

California/Lex Park is like a major city now compared to where I came from.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Okay, I'd like to see a outlet place, like Leesburg, Hagerstown, or Queenstown (Prime Outlets or Tangier). It has to have a Rockport outlet so I can get my shoes. Think a good place for it would be on 301 in the area of 234, that way it wouldnt be too far from St. Marys. Clear out some of those old motels and trucks stops, from the bridge up to LaPlata.

Make it look nicer along 301, not very pretty picture for travelers once you come over the bridge from Va., not a very good first impression of Maryland.

I hear Iverson Mall is pretty nice.

joedancer

bookman
A good bookstore

A better theator

I would like to invite you to visit my shop. Fenwick Street Used Books & Music in downtown Leonardtown. Find us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Joe.the.Bookman
or
Fenwickbooks - Rare, used, and out-of-print books

We sell new and used books, vinyl records, dvds and cds. We can special order anything. We have 23,000 books in stock. An entire room of Sci Fi, horror and fantasy. Children's and young adult books, history, military. We have book signings with local and outside authors.

Also a great used bookstore in Prince Frederick, Second Looks Books.

White Rabbit Children's books in Leonardtown on Route 5 in the small shopping center with Ledo's.

Would be nice to have a nicer theatre, but the one we have has definitely improved itself in the last ten years.

my best,
Joe

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I'd love to give my business to Lowes and not the internet, but they don't sell the cordless tools I like (and are pretty much married to).. and I don't know how many time I've been there and they've said..
"Nope, we don't have that, you should check a hardware store!!"

To which I just look them in the eye and without saying a word telepathically transmit.. "REALLY? Where the hell AM I??"

I found one hardware store that does sell Makita, and they had one corded 10 inch cirucular saw on the shelf.. NO cordless, let alone the 18v Li_Ion I'm looking for.. TOOLKING.com ALWAYS has them, and usually just the bare tools (how many chargers and batteries do you need!??) For a bare tool, you can pay as little as 25% of the retail price of the tool, charger battery and a case..

Lowe's had Makita for awhile, 5 or 6 years ago. Very good tools, one of the best warranties on the market in its category. They did not have the retail profit margin Lowe's demanded. I believe this is why we no longer sell them.

frequentflier

happy to be living
A quick oil change type place is supposed to be going in where the County's Filling Station was located on the corner of Rousby Hall and HG Truman.

The sign has been there for awhile. I know I'd have my oil changed a lot more frequently if the sign is true! The station has been sitting empty for awhile.

Popster

1. What business product or service are you looking for in somd?

2. Have you found an alternative and how difficult was it to find?

3. What would it mean to you if someone offered the it to you?

I'd have to say
1. Another phone provider other than comcast.

2. Nope

3. I'd switch tomorrow.

ooma

Popster

I would like to have an H-Mart. For those not familiar, it is a Korean Grocery store. Beautiful produce, meat and seafood at great prices.

Just recently I got large heads of cauliflower for $.89 each. Asparagus in season for $.99/lb. Scallions are 5 large bunches for $1. Often have fresh salmon steaks for $ 4.99;, flank steak for $2.99.

Here's a link to their ad. (Naturally, not so much on sale this week- but check out the cabbage and tomato prices.

http://www.hmart.com/company_new/coupon_event_sale_print.asp?loc=VAMD&num=&lan_type=kor

kayakangler

FISH OR DIE
this is my list..

I second.. the WHole FOODs..
and the auto zone in Lusby
movie theaters
bass pro shop...
ruths Chris
Fogo De Chao..LOL
REI
more micro brews...

:popcorn: