What is there to Hate??

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by Heretic
The one thing I hate is that there is no local news channel. I mean if this place is so great you would think that people would want to know what the hell is going on in and arround it. I came from a town with 6000 people and we had a news channel. Heck I want to know what is going on, what there is to do, who did what etc.

Charles County has one. I don't know about Calvert, but my guess is they do too. St. Mary's is fighting with the current cable franchise over quality issues and this is one point in the negotiations they are working on.

Another thing and this is the DC area in general is that there is no small "downtown" area anywhere. I really miss the 3 block "main street usa" where you could park eat breakfast and walk down the street and visit various establishments...again im not asking for new york city just a couple blocks worth of a downtown with a couple places to eat, shop, and yes absorb local culture.

Leonardtown has one of these but it's dying because you have to turn off the main drag and go a block to get there. Also, there isn't room for small businesses to grow. There's no room for a fancy drug store with a drive thru, or a Walmart, so people stay on the main drag and go to Walmart and CVS, McDonald's and IHOP and the Mom and Pop places go out of business. Waldorf used to have one of these areas too but when all the city slickers driving from NY to Florida got tired of driving through all these little "main street usa's" and wanted a highway, they built 301, then 95 and anyone who wanted to stay in business had to move off of "Main Street" to 301 which is why it consists of strip mall after strip mall from one end of town to the other. You'll notice, there are no quaint little houses turned businesses on 301. Drive down 925 from one end to the other sometime. If you look close, you'll see a few dilapitated remnants of "main street usa."

These rural/semi-rural areas have always tried to respond to the criticisms like those often mentioned on this forum. They are always trying to make themselves look better to corporations and defense contractors and their employees, they want the revenue. But in doing so, they lose their identity and what made them special in the first place. They lost the "main street usa" atmosphere which people are now nostalgic for. They got lost when the people of our parents' and grandparents' generation complained that they wanted some things to be more like the city they came from, things such as bigger supermarkets and more than two screens at the movie theater

Sorry friday night at Walmart is not local culture.

This is not a Southern Maryland thing, or even an especially rural thing. I first noticed this phenomenon when I lived in Frederick, which is the second largest town in Maryland in population. (#1 is Balt.) And they have several blocks of "local culture" in the form of clubs, restaurants, antique shops, boutiques etc. I've also seen the "Friday night at the Walmart" thing in Catonsville (which, if you don't know is about a half mile from the Baltimore City line)

Walmart, as a corporation, purposely sets itself up for this kind of atmosphere. First they build in the middle of nowhere, just off the main highway for convience. It's only been in recent years that they started building in areas that were already established commercial districts such as Waldorf. They buy up all the property they can, build a superstore that sells everything you need in one shot at low prices because they can afford to buy in bulk. Anyone who has kids, especially more than one, knows getting them in and out of the car several times while running errands is a PITA. Sometimes, they even build a grocery store (harried moms need not ever go into another store again). They add a McDonald's or other fast food area so you don't need to leave for lunch or dinner. They have an automotive department, usually with a service center to attract the guys and put it right next to the hunting department (I never lose my husband in Walmart, he's always w/in a 5 aisle radius). And if you run out of money because you spent it all, they even have a bank. They have hair dressers and optical centers, some even have dry cleaners. Put in a pediatrician, a dentist and a vet by the front door, a lumber yard and a sports bar off of the automotive department and you cannot justify going anywhere else ever again. And every Mom and Pop store in every small town, can just close up shop.

Originally posted by withered
a $1000 car does NOT deserve $4500 rims

This is not a Southern Maryland thing, try hanging out in Bethesda sometime. $4500 rims is just the begining.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Up here in Fredneck, the 2nd largest city in Maryland and home to more cultural activities than you can imagine, the big deal is Bingo Day at the Burger King. They get more humans at Bingo Day than at the Weinberg Center performances.

So, SmallTown and Olive, it must just be you.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Up here in Fredneck, the 2nd largest city in Maryland and home to more cultural activities than you can imagine, the big deal is Bingo Day at the Burger King. They get more humans at Bingo Day than at the Weinberg Center performances.

What must be me?

Dymphna

Walk down memory lane

For all those who think Southern Maryland isn't advancing into the modern world fast enough, I want to tell you a little about how I remember it when I first moved to Waldorf.

There were 3 strip malls. The newest was Shopper's World, where Sports Authority is now. It consisted of a two screen theater, a Peebles department store (with high end merchandise), a Mammoth Mart department store (for more modest tastes) a Grand Union grocery store, small auto parts store, Rustler's Steakhouse, a Chinese restaurant, a bank, florist, bakery and gas station. Everything south of this point, until you got to the recently closed Atlantic cycle shop (then a carpet store, I think) was woods. The Giant shopping center was woods as well.
The "Festival at Waldorf" shopping center was there all those years ago, but much smaller. There was a Safeway, a florist and a real estate agent in one little strip, then a large open field followed by another little strip of stores with an A&P, drug store a dry cleaners and a Sears Surplus store. And at the far end of that strip of stores, was a drive-in theater.
The oldest shopping center in Waldorf is the Thornton Center. Most of you probably know it by its most famous feature, a giant paint can on the roof. In that center, there was (surprise) a paint store, laundromat and barbershop.
Where the Rt5 bypass connects to 301, there was a nice restaurant (for those who remember a run-down biker bar, I'm not being funny, it really was a nice place once.) When we had to do back-to-school shopping, we went to Iverson or Landover Malls (They were nice once too) For a new car, you went to Marlow Heights. For your home improvement needs, there was American Hardware (still much the same as it is today) or Scott's hardware (now Club V)
St. Charles Parkway didn't exist, Smallwood Dr was a lot shorter. "St. Charles" meant what "Carrington" does today. The "back way" out of Pinefield was the little used, Country Lane. The only other way into the neighborhood was Pinefield Drive.

Even then, Waldorf was the biggest town around. I moved from Cheltenham, which consisted of a General Store (in the true, old-fashioned sense), a teeny, tiny Post Office, a church and Service Station, (that was it, don't blink, you'll miss it). I was taught in school that Waldorf (as defined by its one zip code) was the largest town in Southern Maryland with a population of 20,000 people.

Some people on this forum have been around longer then me and are now thinking, "that wasn't so long ago." But for those of you who are thinking that I'm a little old lady reminiscing about the "good old days," I'm 33.

Last edited:

Dymphna

They do Bingo Night at the McDonald's in East Towson (about a mile from the Baltimore City line for those who don't know)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by SmallTown
What must be me?
That wants sushi bars, performing arts and Pottery Barns. I think the numbers show that most people just want Bingo and a Big Gulp.

Dymphna

I think the numbers show that most people just want Bingo and a Big Gulp.

About 15 years ago, when Charles County was holding hearings for their "Comprehensive" zoning plan a very eloquent preacher stood up to speak, as a representative of his congregation at (I think) the Nanjemoy Baptist Church. He spoke about the rural character of the Nanjemoy area and about their desire to preserve those characteristics. His speech was punctuated by his supporters in the audience shouting, "Amen." He ended by saying, "We down in Nanjemoy, we don't wanna be a Waldorf. We just want a McDonald's." "Amen.":biggrin:

SmallTown

Football season!
That wants sushi bars, performing arts and Pottery Barns. I think the numbers show that most people just want Bingo and a Big Gulp.

No, they want choices. They want the ability to choose bingo night if they wish, or go see a play or musical.

Cities didn't spring up out of nowhere. They were once rural areas inhabited by people enjoying the rural lifestyle. As things grew, the people didn't want to grow with it. They like what they did before, and continue to do it.

SxyPrincess

No, they want choices. They want the ability to choose bingo night if they wish, or go see a play or musical.

:yeahthat: Or they just want to sit on their front porch with a 10 oz and a pack of Marlboro's skinnin' jackelope...:cheesy:

Surf City Baby

Originally posted by cmcdanal
They do Bingo Night at the McDonald's in East Towson . . . .

This reminded me of the "Big Mac Supper Club" -- does anyone remember that? Or was that just in Southern CA? What a weird dose of nostalgia.

SmallTown

Football season!
An example of people not wanting to let go of the past, regardless of how bad it is.

When I first moved to somd, they were just building the Outback steakhouse. I was talking to some people and they couldn't see why they would build such a thing, especially with a Western Steer down the street. For those unfamiliar with the old western steer, as you drive by you would notice two things. The greese seeping out underneath the roof, and the giant rats performing valet parking. They vowed to "put Outback out of business!"

We see now that there is hope in this world. Western Steer is now closed, and Outback is still going strong.

ofcourse, people will be quick to point out this goes against my "choices" idea, but this is much different. Western Steer closing is a blessing to all those people who venture down route 4 or 235 and unknowingly decide to hop into WS for a quick bite to eat. Poor souls. But those days are over, and everyone can be thankful... Now if they would only remove the eyesore completely, things would be even better.

dottymae

I first noticed this phenomenon when I lived in Frederick, which is the second largest town in Maryland in population. (#1 is Balt.)

Frederick is the second largest incorporated city in MD behind Baltimore. However, it falls to about 10th or so when it's put in with the unincorporated cities.
Columbia, MD is actually second in total population at about 90,000.
Maryland population
:smile: :smile:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Western Steer is now closed, and Outback is still going strong.
So you DO understand the concept of capitalism! Whew! What a relief! I thought for awhile there you figured businesses should just sprout up for your convenience and not because there was any real demand.

If there were any real interest in a theater or philharmonic in St. Mary's, some enterprising soul would set one up. But the demographic won't support it. There have been any number of fancy-schmancy restaurants that have opened up over the years - complete with the teeny portions of artistically displayed food on fine china. They survive for about two months, then go belly up. Yet Lenny's has been around for a zillion years and the Appleby's opened to lines around the corner.

Go figure.

SmallTown

Football season!
So you DO understand the concept of capitalism! Whew! What a relief! I thought for awhile there you figured businesses should just sprout up for your convenience and not because there was any real demand.

If there were any real interest in a theater or philharmonic in St. Mary's, some enterprising soul would set one up. But the demographic won't support it.

People said the same thing about Starbucks. Everyone said it was a waste of time in somd. Not the right kind of people there to support it. "Why pay $3.00 for a cup of coffee when I can go to 7-11 and buy one for 75 cents." was a typical quote.

Every time I went to the starbucks there, I always stood in a line, one time out the door.

If people only supplied what they knew would work, we wouldn't have hardly any of things we have today.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If people only supplied what they knew would work, we wouldn't have hardly any of things we have today.
You miss the point. Just because "people" said Starbucks woudn't work doesn't mean it won't. Starbucks is a decent sized corporation with a history of good marketing decisions. They obviously did some research into St. Mary's and decided that there WAS a market for them.

Possibly the Pottery Barn people (or whoever) did some research and decided that St. Mary's WASN'T a good market for them. "People" can talk all they want but what it boils down to is whether a particular business is a good fit with the demographic of an area.

F

Flo

Re: Walk down memory lane

For all those who think Southern Maryland isn't advancing into the modern world fast enough, I want to tell you a little about how I remember it when I first moved to Waldorf.

There were 3 strip malls. The newest was Shopper's World, where Sports Authority is now. It consisted of a two screen theater, a Peebles department store (with high end merchandise), a Mammoth Mart department store (for more modest tastes) a Grand Union grocery store, small auto parts store, Rustler's Steakhouse, a Chinese restaurant, a bank, florist, bakery and gas station. Everything south of this point, until you got to the recently closed Atlantic cycle shop (then a carpet store, I think) was woods. The Giant shopping center was woods as well.
The "Festival at Waldorf" shopping center was there all those years ago, but much smaller. There was a Safeway, a florist and a real estate agent in one little strip, then a large open field followed by another little strip of stores with an A&P, drug store a dry cleaners and a Sears Surplus store. And at the far end of that strip of stores, was a drive-in theater.
The oldest shopping center in Waldorf is the Thornton Center. Most of you probably know it by its most famous feature, a giant paint can on the roof. In that center, there was (surprise) a paint store, laundromat and barbershop.
Where the Rt5 bypass connects to 301, there was a nice restaurant (for those who remember a run-down biker bar, I'm not being funny, it really was a nice place once.) When we had to do back-to-school shopping, we went to Iverson or Landover Malls (They were nice once too) For a new car, you went to Marlow Heights. For your home improvement needs, there was American Hardware (still much the same as it is today) or Scott's hardware (now Club V)
St. Charles Parkway didn't exist, Smallwood Dr was a lot shorter. "St. Charles" meant what "Carrington" does today. The "back way" out of Pinefield was the little used, Country Lane. The only other way into the neighborhood was Pinefield Drive.

Even then, Waldorf was the biggest town around. I moved from Cheltenham, which consisted of a General Store (in the true, old-fashioned sense), a teeny, tiny Post Office, a church and Service Station, (that was it, don't blink, you'll miss it). I was taught in school that Waldorf (as defined by its one zip code) was the largest town in Southern Maryland with a population of 20,000 people.

Some people on this forum have been around longer then me and are now thinking, "that wasn't so long ago." But for those of you who are thinking that I'm a little old lady reminiscing about the "good old days," I'm 33.

I am 20 years older...so that may classify me as the lil' ol' lady :blushing:

I grew up in the 50's and 60's, :bubble: and remember several nice restaurants to go to all along 301. I remember "Springlake," which changed several times, and was finally torn down (Route 301 and Mattawoman road) Also, "Smitty's Steakhouse," "Wigwam," and several others. Country music stars would come to the "Stardust," regularly.

I remember Ben Franklin at the intersection of Route 5 and 925 where I would do shopping for school supplies and sewing needs.

I remember the drive-in movie theater on 301 where my oldest sister and her husband-to-be would take my younger sister and I. The Bob-a-Lu's ice cream/sundae shop off 301 and 925, where I don't know what it has become now; think it is a Pizza or sub shop. In the 60's they use to have the best hand-dipped ice cream and sundaes around.

My father would do his shopping for his farm needs at the Western Auto in Waldorf or Prince Frederick.

There were no large malls, or conjestion; a two-lane highway, and plenty of enjoyable memories.

We looked forward to our trip to the city (Waldorf or Marlow Heights) from the small country area I grew up in (Aquasco). Aquasco is still a small country area, peaceful and quiet. They use to have a speedway in the 60's and 70's.

In Benedict, there were nice restaurants such as "Shorters," "Benedict Pier," "Chappelears," "DeSoto's Landing," etc. Some of them have different names but are still there. Chapplear's is gone. There also use to be a real small mom/pop ice cream stand there. :yum: We would go to watch fireworks; most of them were local kids shooting sparklers, but we had so much fun.

Of course there were local bands, or someone bringing their speakers, 45's and record-player to a church hall or firehall :wink: and we would dance for a couple of hours until your parents came to get you; and you'd better be ready to go.

There was a lot to do for a smalltown country girl and her siblings. We may not have thought so back then of course, but thinking back now, we had so much more to do than a lot of these kids sitting around in the malls. We had Glen Echo, Chesapeake Beach and Marshall Hall amusement parks. All of them are gone now...what a shame. :frown:

Otter

Nothing to see here
Re: Re: Walk down memory lane

Originally posted by Flo
Of course there were local bands, or someone bringing their speakers, 45's.....

Wonder how many are wondering why you would bring a gun...:lmao: