What is there to Hate??

RodRugg

One time we went to Outback and it was amazing! They had all kind of decorations like boomerangs and shock sticks and donkey hooks. The brought us an onion that was shredded up and deep fried in oils. My grandma got something called "Kukelbird chops" and I thought that was funny. The food was good and the waitress was nice. My grandma choked on a piece of bread and couldn't breathe for five minutes so the manager asked us to leave. We haven't been back there since then but someday I'll go again.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by vraiblonde
You miss the point. Just because "people" said Starbucks woudn't work doesn't mean it won't. Starbucks is a decent sized corporation with a history of good marketing decisions. They obviously did some research into St. Mary's and decided that there WAS a market for them.

Possibly the Pottery Barn people (or whoever) did some research and decided that St. Mary's WASN'T a good market for them. "People" can talk all they want but what it boils down to is whether a particular business is a good fit with the demographic of an area.

Since it is people buying the stuff, the input from them would definately play a part in corporate decisions to come there. Plus, when something is a new item to the area, they can't really base opinions on buyer tendencies since there are no comparisons. In the case of starbucks, they couldn't track coffee sales at 7-11 and decide if somd is a good spot.
Same goes or pier-1. Not sure how good it is doing there, but they couldn't rely on buyer tendencies because there are no other stores like it to compare it to.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by SmallTown
Since it is people buying the stuff, the input from them would definately play a part in corporate decisions to come there.
You're obviously not a business owner. How chains determine market is to do a comparitive study in other locations that are similar to the area they're considering.

For example, if Starbucks has great success near military bases, that's a point. If they have success in areas where the population is predominantly a certain age group, ethnicity, income bracket, whatever, those are more points. Add up enough points and it's a go.
In the case of starbucks, they couldn't track coffee sales at 7-11 and decide if somd is a good spot.
The heck they couldn't. I will suggest to you that 7-11 coffee sales played a part in Starbucks' decision to come to St. Mary's. Do people stop for coffee on their way to work? I don't know where the Starbucks is located down there but I'll bet you $10 it's on 235, with easy in and out for people going to work at the base or a contractor building.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Re: Re: Walk down memory lane

Originally posted by Flo
I grew up in the 50's and 60's, :bubble: and remember several nice restaurants to go to all along 301. I remember "Springlake," which changed several times, and was finally torn down (Route 301 and Mattawoman road) Also, "Smitty's Steakhouse," "Wigwam," and several others. Country music stars would come to the "Stardust," regularly.

Stardust was closed as a nightclub before I remember it but I do remember that for years the marquee had an announcement for what I presume was the last act to play there: Fats Domino

Originally posted by Flo
I remember the drive-in movie theater on 301 where my oldest sister and her husband-to-be would take my younger sister and I. The Bob-a-Lu's ice cream/sundae shop off 301 and 925, where I don't know what it has become now; think it is a Pizza or sub shop. In the 60's they use to have the best hand-dipped ice cream and sundaes around.

My parents liked the drive-in because it was cheap, they showed family shows, usually double features, they had a playground for when us kids got bored we could make all the noise we wanted within our own car without bothering anyone and we'd fall asleep in the car, before the last show, so they'd get to enjoy a little time, "alone" without hiring a babysitter.

Going to Bob-a-Lu's was a special treat for us. It's a sub shop now.

Originally posted by Flo
We had Glen Echo, Chesapeake Beach and Marshall Hall amusement parks. All of them are gone now...what a shame. :frown:

Aqualand

Dymphna

I don't know where the Starbucks is located down there but I'll bet you $10 it's on 235, with easy in and out for people going to work at the base or a contractor building.

:yay: You got it. On the southbound side for all those coming from the north.

F

Flo

Re: Re: Re: Walk down memory lane

Aqualand [/B][/QUOTE]

Haven't been to that area for a long time. Aqualand is more or less a waterslide park...Right?

F

Flo

Re: Re: Re: Re: Walk down memory lane

Originally posted by Flo
Aqualand

Haven't been to that area for a long time. Aqualand is more or less a waterslide park...Right? [/B][/QUOTE]

Can't forget "Rod n' Reel" which was always a fabulous restaurant back then, and probably still is.

SmallTown

Football season!
You're obviously not a business owner. How chains determine market is to do a comparitive study in other locations that are similar to the area they're considering.

That is one aspect, but many others go into it such as those that I mentioned. If companies based their opinions largely on that aspect, they would be going into markets they are not needed/wanted, and missing markets that would need/want them. You really need to tailor your business decisions based on the people's needs and wants, not what the companies feel people need and want.

Dymphna

Re: Re: Re: Re: Walk down memory lane

Originally posted by Flo
Haven't been to that area for a long time. Aqualand is more or less a waterslide park...Right?

It was 30 years ago. It was in the shadow of the Gov. Nice Bridge (RT 301 to VA)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You really need to tailor your business decisions based on the people's needs and wants, not what the companies feel people need and want.
Are you retarded or do you just truly not understand corporate America and it's influence on society? If that were the case, there would never have been a Mood Ring. No Pet Rocks. No DVD players. No Diet Vanilla Coke. Nothing new at all because people didn't realize they wanted it until corporations convinced them they did.

Who needs a Starbucks? Nobody, that's who. And most people didn't even realize they wanted one until it showed up.

http

"That is one aspect, but many others go into it such as those that I mentioned."

Vraiblonde is absolutely correct. You would be utterly surprised how much public opinion and market studies have nothing to do with entering new markets. For one, there aren't enough people in the average corporation to run around polling new markets and taking census's. And second, most Corporations look at the average consumer as an easily-persuaded shell, that has to be propogandized into their product. That is why every national store has a "spin" or "inflection" on their advertising campaigns neighborhood to neighborhood. They're philosophy is that they can enter Hell and sell a product to the Devil if done correctly. And remember, most chain, restaurants at least, are franchise proprietorships. Like Chick File, in order to own a Chick File, all you have to do is name a location and give them an online essay as to how profitable you can make your branch. Seriously, its that easy, go online and try it.

"If companies based their opinions largely on that aspect, they would be going into markets they are not needed/wanted, and missing markets that would need/want them."

Happens all the time. Especially with franchises such as McDonalds. They don't truly care that much if a single location fails; its really no skin of their back.

"You really need to tailor your business decisions based on the people's needs and wants, not what the companies feel people need and want."

Like I said above, not enough time, resources or money to map the whole country or world with demographic information of that sort; not to mention it changes year to year. It just can't be done.

SmallTown

Football season!

Who needs a Starbucks? Nobody, that's who. And most people didn't even realize they wanted one until it showed up.

Which goes back to my original point that taking chances can pay off, which is what is needed and what is happening in somd. Seems we both want the final results, just different ways of getting there.

But if corporate america did control everything, wouldn't we all be drinking crystal pepsi (or whatever that clear pepsi product was they knew everyone would love?).

When I was dealing with the econ. development people in somd, they said the number one way to get businesses to recognize somd as a viable business opportunity is to get people to flood their offices with letters and phone calls stating such, and they themselves were doing just that. So, if you're notion is correct, then the econ development people in somd must just be stupid, which would bring up other issues we won't discuss. Of course I can't say for sure, but i'm willing to bet that the econ development group and the "common folks" contacting companies to show opportunity is a big reason there are places like starbucks there.

http

Correct, oh and ST, don't forget about competition which again has nothing to do with the market. Starbucks came to NW DC just because Quartermains and the other one I forget came. And they drove them both out of business.

And have you ever been to the corner of Connecticut Av and N st NW? There is a Starbucks on each corner of the same intersection just so they can hit traffic in both directions, and/or you don't have to walk across the street to get some. Its the silliest looking thing. I doubt that has nothing to do with a market survey. Taht's just plain greed.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by http
Correct, oh and ST, don't forget about competition which again has nothing to do with the market. Starbucks came to NW DC just because Quartermains and the other one I forget came. And they drove them both out of business.

Which is another reason for good businesses to come into somd, lack of quality competetition would allow businesses to thrive.

But also, somd lacks name recognition. Many Businesses couldn't tell you where california,md is. Which is why the voice of the people there is so important. You can't do your beloved market studies if you have no idea there is a place there to study in the first place.

http

"Which goes back to my original point that taking chances can pay off, which is what is needed and what is happening in somd. Seems we both want the final results, just different ways of getting there."

Sure I agree. I think once again as you so readily do, you are using SOMD to represent Lex Park and Leonardtown and as you have been reminded a at least a few times SOMD is more than Lex and Leno.

"But if corporate america did control everything, wouldn't we all be drinking crystal pepsi (or whatever that clear pepsi product was they knew everyone would love?)."

You're talking about pushing a product through a retail market vs. pushing an entire store or shopping center to a real location. There is a different. Wal Mart would probably survive Lusby but that doesn't mean their nasty azz Crystal Pepsi would. Two different things.

"When I was dealing with the econ. development people in somd, they said the number one way to get businesses to recognize somd as a viable business opportunity is to get people to flood their offices with letters and phone calls stating such, and they themselves were doing just that. So, if you're notion is correct, then the econ development people in somd must just be stupid, which would bring up other issues we won't discuss."

I would really assume local governemnt agencies have not much to do with what retail comes into an area. Take Wal Mart again. When Wal Mart wants to come into a new area, provided they don't have any zoning or environmental issues, THEY ARE COMIN.

"Of course I can't say for sure, but i'm willing to bet that the econ development group and the "common folks" contacting companies to show opportunity is a big reason there are places like starbucks there."

I doubt it. I bet you if the 100 folks of Dares Beach Calvert County wrote all to Starbucks saying they wanted one in their neighborhood, they wouldn't get it.

Last edited:

http

Which is another reason for good businesses to come into somd, lack of quality competetition would allow businesses to thrive.

But also, somd lacks name recognition. Many Businesses couldn't tell you where california,md is. Which is why the voice of the people there is so important. You can't do your beloved market studies if you have no idea there is a place there to study in the first place.

I see what you are saying, I just don't put the weight into public opinion that you do. Its the same thing with politics. Once you elect your public servants, you might as well go to sleep, your job is over. What is truly running who is coming to Lex and Leno is PAX, plain n simple. And the Waldorf retail influx just 15 years ago was lead by the housing and school boom.

In Calvert County, there is no boom (any longer), no economic growth, the county put the halt on housing sub-division development and guess what, no retail influx! Heck, they just x'd a shopping center in Lusby, for basically no good reason. And public opinion had nothing to do with it, trust me.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
ST, your insistence over something you obviously know nothing about is frustrating.
But also, somd lacks name recognition.
And you're trying to tell me that most global marketing professionals can pick Frederick, MD out on a map?

Not if the target demographic isn't there to support it.

Don't you think companies WANT to make money? It stands to reason they'd open up shop anywhere they could make a buck. If they scout an area and decide they'd be unsuccessful, they go somewhere else. It's that simple.

Now, if you want, you can contact all the major companies and tell them that they're doing it wrong. :duh:

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by http

I doubt it. I bet you if the 100 folks of Dares Beach Calvert County wrote all to Starbucks saying they wanted one in their neighborhood, they wouldn't get it.

No, 100 people probably woulldn't do it. But tie together what everyone else here is saying.
1) Several hundred or even a several thousand people in the somd area contact starbucks to open a store there (yes, leonardtown, LP, and now california is the basis for this because they are either the county seat, or considered commercial/retail areas). Waldorf is more if a DC suburb than a small place in somd.
2) Starbucks wonders what the place called "California, Md" is. And "Lexington Park, md".
3) Starbucks looks at the area and see's no competition, but a strong desire from the local people for their business.
4) Starbucks finds there is a a prime location, right on the main road to grab custumers on their way to work.
5) Starbucks, now that they know where somd is, looks at the area and see's the population and the average household income. They like what they see, and decide to open up shop.

Sure, a simplistic look at it, but a very reality based one as well. And it all started with people gaining the attention of starbucks in the first place. And similar things go for other businesses. And consdering many businesses we know and love are actually owned by a few select corporations, getting your name to one or two instantly gives you name recognition to many others. It is beginning to work in somd.

Like vrai says, the more businesses that move in there, the more businesses somd didn't know they couldn't "live without".

SmallTown

Football season!
ST, your insistence over something you obviously know nothing about is frustrating.
And you're trying to tell me that most global marketing professionals can pick Frederick, MD out on a map?

Maybe, maybe not. But its obvious that they made it a point to get their name out there and attract businesses.

Plus, isn't frederick atleast near an interstate, thus thru traffic at least knows where frederick is?? You only know about california,md if you're going there for a particular reason.