When the levees broke.......

mAlice

professional daydreamer
jazz lady said:
I saw an article yesterday about thieves stealing large construction equipment from a site in Ward 9, which is still mostly unhabited and unhabitable, where there were constructing a MONUMENT for $100k. Excuse me, but clean up the place and rebuild houses before you even THINK of building monuments. :rolleyes:

A monument? :rolleyes:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Ehesef said:
Since I'm a compulsive channel-flicker, I passed it several times. I only saw interviews with blacks. Might have been other races too, but I passed it a bunch and never saw any other races.

I tried to watch it last night, but could only handle about 15 minutes of it. Can you say "cheesy"?

Qurious

Im On 1.
elaine said:
Exactly how much disaster is our government supposed to cover? ALL OF IT. How may people are we supposed to help? ALL OF THEM.There was a time when people recovered from disaster on their own. Why does everyone think the government is supposed to bail them out of natural disasters? Because we do for other countries, we pay taxes, we are citizens of this country..

Another question: What are these people doing for themselves? What have/are the neighboring communities doing for themselves? How much government assistance are they asking for?

South Florida was flattened by Andrew. Why wasn't this an issue then?
It wasn't an issue because you didnt have hundreds and/or thousands of people die and go hungry for days....it wasn't an issue because the majority of the people evacuated...it wasn't an issue because the majority of the areas weren't living in poverty.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
elaine said:
A monument? :rolleyes:

Yes, a monument:

NEW ORLEANS -- Heavy equipment worth $100,000 is stolen from the construction site of a New Orleans Hurricane Katrina memorial.

The groundbreaking in the city's Lower Ninth Ward was Wednesday. Three days later, and despite the presence of the National Guard, a Bobcat excavator and steer loader were removed from the site in the early hours of Saturday.

The neighborhood once was populated by nearly 12,000 people. Katrina changed all that. The Lower Ninth was largely vacant and strewn with debris as of Monday.

Still, the concrete was poured and the monument's unveiling is scheduled for next Sunday.

http://www.wdsu.com/news/9709055/detail.html?rss=no&psp=news

No, let's not help out with houses and such. Let's build a monument instead. That will get people to come back. :dork:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Qurious said:
It wasn't an issue because you didnt have hundreds and/or thousands of people die and go hungry for days....it wasn't an issue because the majority of the people evacuated...it wasn't an issue because the majority of the areas weren't living in poverty.

I think you need to do a little research, dear.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Qurious said:
It wasn't an issue because you didnt have hundreds and/or thousands of people die and go hungry for days....it wasn't an issue because the majority of the people evacuated
You are nutty with the heat. Possibly you might want to read up on Hurricane Andrew before you spew.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Qurious said:

Hurricane Andrew evacuees were smart - most left prior to the hurricane hitting ground. The people that are still whining about Katrina are, mostly, the ones that didn't leave when they were instructed to do so. :ohwell:

They are also the people that still have debris lying about their property and waiting around for someone else to clean it up - with outstretched hands looking for a handout.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
BadGirl said:
Hurricane Andrew evacuees were smart - most left prior to the hurricane hitting ground. The people that are still whining about Katrina are, mostly, the ones that didn't leave when they were instructed to do so. :ohwell:

They are also the people that still have debris lying about their property and waiting around for someone else to clean it up - with outstretched hands looking for a handout.

I know people personally that rode the storm out (andrew). My husbands family lost a total of 4 homes. We have friends who lost family members, one wasn't found for years. These people went without food or water, waiting for FEMA to get there.

There are native americans in that area, as well as cuban and mexican immigrants that weren't even on anybody's roster, that died. So when you find your numbers for those who lost their lives, remember the untold numbers that weren't accounted for.

What these people also did was pick each other up, instead of waiting for uncle sam to do it. They cleaned up, and built up. That's what the victims of Andrew that didn't leave, were compelled to do.

So you see, this is why I have no sympathy for the lazy azz, gimmegimmegimme people in New Orleans.

Qurious

Im On 1.
BadGirl said:

Question:

How do you evacuate a place when you have no car, no savings and no friends and family out of town?

in all seriousness alot of people say the same thing you do but can never answer this question.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Qurious said:
Question:

How do you evacuate a place when you have no car, no savings and no friends and family out of town?

People in south florida were without transportation. They're still not whining about why didn't somebody come rescue them.

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
Here is what I don't understand, why didn't they loot food, instead of TV's that they couldn't use. what was the point of that.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Qurious said:
Explain to me why the government should give you something when you didn't have anything to begin with?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Qurious said:
Question:

in all seriousness alot of people say the same thing you do but can never answer this question.
Ask the hero of the city, the mayor, Mr. Nagin why he left school busses to be flooded and why he left people to suffer when he had the means to evacuate all of them prior to Katrina hitting?

Qurious

Im On 1.
vraiblonde said:
Or, better yet, if you're that bad off you lay there and die and shut up about it.

:bawl: not quite the answer I was expecting...but it explains why people feel the way they do about Americans...we can't even have compassion and sympathize with our own.

vraiblonde said:
Answer: you walk, just like you get anywhere when you have no vehicle.

Duh.
:yeahthat: I saw quite a few of them walking in waist deep water after the fact. They would have gotten alot further before the storm.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Qurious said:
not quite the answer I was expecting...but it explains why people feel the way they do about Americans...we can't even have compassion and sympathize with our own.
I have compassion for people who get off their dead ass and help themselves.