Why do Atheists celebrate Christmas?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Plus, just because I don't believe doesn't mean nobody does. When my kids were little, we'd put out the Nativity and I would tell them the story of Jesus' birth. Even if you don't believe in God, it's still a great story.

A thrill of hope, the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.

This_person

Gee, how about religious people trying to convert me? It's the same thing. Saying athiests are bad people with no morals is indeed disrespecful. I think people handing me their religious paraphanalia is disrespectful. And, we're not just celebrating for days off work. I think that's been explained several times in this thread. For you to continue to say that is disrespectful.
If someone tries to convert you after you've asked to be left alone on the subject, I agree that's disrespectful. I don't know who suggested that atheists have no morals is, but that's disrespectful.

Adopting the holiday and celebrating something in which you don't believe just because your family tradition shows it is disrespectful. Have a big dinner, roast chestnuts and take a sleigh ride, build a snowman in the meadow, heck, even CALL it Christmas. Just realize that by suggesting you're celebrating Christmas you're suggesting that you believe in Christ as the saviour. If you celebrate Christmas and you don't believe, you're being disrespectful, that's all. It's not that big a deal, you have that right.

Beta84

They're out to get us
Do you see the difference between traditions done at Christmas time and actually celebrating Christmas?

Yes, but there are various definitions.

One definition might be about going to church, celebrating the birth of christ, and praying all day. Lets face it, the whole dinner, presents, and decorations bull#### is commercialized BS.

One definition may include celebrating the birth of christ + church, but it also includes the family dinner, presents, decorations, and all that jazz.

Another definition (still talking about Christians here) is merely the dinner, presents, decorations, etc...nothing religious about it.

Then obviously you have a bunch of non Christians who share the same definition as many Christians...they Americanized it and found it to be a nice time to get together with the family, exchange presents, and have fun.

But who says celebrating a holiday has to have a similar tradition to still be celebrating? Christmas is a day where almost everything in this country is closed, which virtually makes it an American holiday. People celebrate Christmas by getting together with family and friends and have different traditions...such as going to the movies and eating Chinese food. Sure, maybe no presents are given, but it's no more or less an observance of Christmas than someone who does it completely non-religious, but sits underneath their Christmas tree handing out presents.

Cowgirl

Just realize that by suggesting you're celebrating Christmas you're suggesting that you believe in Christ as the saviour. If you celebrate Christmas and you don't believe, you're being disrespectful, that's all. It's not that big a deal, you have that right.

:lol: I still don't understand how you think people are disrespecting you by celebrating what they want to celebrate. :lmao:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If you celebrate Christmas and you don't believe, you're being disrespectful, that's all. It's not that big a deal, you have that right.

Do you do anything for St. Patrick's Day? Cinco de Mayo? Are you Irish/Mexican?

This will really send you through the roof, but I celebrate Easter as well :jet: Baskets of candy, hiding the eggs, family dinner, the whole schmear. I have even been known to attend church services with my heathen butt planted in the pew and singing with the rest of the congregation.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

This will really send you through the roof, but I celebrate Easter as well :jet: Baskets of candy, hiding the eggs, family dinner, the whole schmear. I have even been known to attend church services with my heathen butt planted in the pew and singing with the rest of the congregation.

Go Catholic and kill two birds with one stone.. Get an aerobic work out, AND get your card punched for attending church the one or two times a year.

Cowgirl

Respect for other's beliefs?

What you don't get (or refuse to get) is that athiests (in this case) are not trying to stop christmas (or change the name, psy). They're celebrating it. THey might not be celebrating it for exactly the same reasons you are, but they're celebrating none the less. That is NOT disrespecting others.

This_person

:lol: I still don't understand how you think people are disrespecting you by celebrating what they want to celebrate. :lmao:
If your friend had a big party on your son's birthday, inviting friends and telling stories of your son's birth, calling it "CGSonsmas Day", etc., etc., but ignored your actual son - indeed, even claimed your son did not exist - wouldn't you find that disrespectful (or maybe even stupid on your friend's part)?

PsyOps

Pixelated
OMG. :roflmao: Are you joking? You're joking, right? You're not still stuck on changing the name of the day, right? :lmao: Nobody is saying they want to do that! :lmao: :killingme

Really? No one? Read back where I posted two articles just from this year that atheist are removing the name Christmas from parades and countering Christmas decorations (like the nativity) with their anti-religious drivel. There have been lawsuits against WalMart to have Christmas removed from their signs.

Here's the ACLU from last year.

The ACLU, in the District Court of San Francisco, has filed a lawsuit against the federal government to officially remove Christmas from the list of federal holidays.

Or what about this...

A Paramus middle school student was sent home Friday after he came to school dressed up as Jesus for Halloween.

You can dress as the devil, or a chainsaw murderer, but dress like Jesus on Halloween... NO WAY! You're not hijacking our pagan/satanic religious holiday with your Christian drivel.

And one more...

Boston set off a furor this week when it officially renamed a giant tree erected in a city park a "holiday tree" instead of a "Christmas tree."

So don't tell me no one wants to change the name. There are tons of examples out there. You're either in denial, not paying attention or just don't care about the facts.

This_person

No, they don't pertain to me. Actually, I have to admit, I've (inadvertently) worn green on St. Patrick's day.
And, you don't find that hypocritical? Acting like you worship something you don't worship, just to not be different?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If your friend had a big party on your son's birthday, inviting friends and telling stories of your son's birth, calling it "CGSonsmas Day", etc., etc., but ignored your actual son - indeed, even claimed your son did not exist - wouldn't you find that disrespectful (or maybe even stupid on your friend's part)?

Well, if God has a problem with us celebrating his son's birth without believing in his divinity, he can smite us.

For the record, I do believe Jesus was a living human being, and religious teacher. I just don't believe he is the Son of God or was born of a virgin.

This_person

What you don't get (or refuse to get) is that athiests (in this case) are not trying to stop christmas (or change the name, psy). They're celebrating it. THey might not be celebrating it for exactly the same reasons you are, but they're celebrating none the less. That is NOT disrespecting others.
I don't think you're trying to stop Christmas! :confused: Why would you suggest I thought that?

My point is, they're not celebrating Christmas, regardless of what they call it. They're celebrating family, or tradition, or whatever, but if they're not celebrating the birth of the saviour, they're not celebrating Christmas (since that's what Christmas is).

Cowgirl

:lmao: That's not a very equal comparison.

Really? No one? Read back where I posted two articles just from this year that atheist are removing the name Christmas from parades and countering Christmas decorations (like the nativity) with their anti-religious drivel. So don't tell me no one wants to change the name. There are tons of examples out there. You're either in denial, not paying attention or just don't care about the facts.

:roflmao: YOU are the one who brought it up in this thread. This thread is about why athiests celebrate it, not why they want to change the name. No athiest in this thread has even hinted at wanting to change the name. So, again, you are the one who brought it up.

Cowgirl

I don't think you're trying to stop Christmas! :confused: Why would you suggest I thought that?

I said that because if that's what we were doing, then you had a reason to be upset.

My point is, they're not celebrating Christmas, regardless of what they call it. They're celebrating family, or tradition, or whatever, but if they're not celebrating the birth of the saviour, they're not celebrating Christmas (since that's what Christmas is).

Oh well. Deal with it. :shrug: It's not a big deal. Don't worry about what others do in their own home. It doesn't hurt anyone, does it?