Why do Atheists celebrate Christmas?

This_person

I wonder if people would flip out if I said I've attended church a few times on Christmas eve? I don't act like I worship either. I go to support family members (I went once for my BIL, and once for D who wanted to go to support a friend). It's kinda nice to see everyone dressed up. I like singing some of the songs. It's just a nice sense of community. I wish they had a place like that except with no religion. :roflmao:
I would suggest a Church of Atheism, but I think that would be not getting the point :roflmao:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I wish they had a place like that except with no religion. :roflmao:

I've often thought it would be nice to have a day set aside for meeting and studying the origins of christianity, pagan gods, archeology, pre christian history. Lots of interesting stuff there.

It could be a covered dish event.

Highlander

ONE NATION UNDER GOD
Actually, there's good reason to be bothered without a name changeWhat you celebrate doesn't effect me, this is very true. But, how society changes effect both of our offspring's offspring when overall society more fully removes Christ from Christmas, and more fully removes religion from society.

This_Person. You've done a great job trying to reason with these people but you are not going to get them to understand. You can tell that a few of them like Cow and Mlice and Xqueen44 and Nutsack are just going to argue this to the end. I would suggest that you go talk to your cat. He is smarter.

I have read the past few pages of this thread. It really makes me thankful that I have not lost my faith. It makes me feel good that I am me and not one of them.

Cowgirl

I've often thought it would be nice to have a day set aside for meeting and studying the origins of christianity, pagan gods, archeology, pre christian history. Lots of interesting stuff there.

It could be a covered dish event.

That would be very interesting. :yay:

Cowgirl

This_Person. You've done a great job trying to reason with these people but you are not going to get them to understand. You can tell that a few of them like Cow and Mlice and Xqueen44 and Nutsack are just going to argue this to the end. I would suggest that you go talk to your cat. He is smarter.

I have read the past few pages of this thread. It really makes me thankful that I have not lost my faith. It makes me feel good that I am me and not one of them.

Wow, insulting people isn't something a christian should do. :ohwell:

mAlice

professional daydreamer

Your god must be so proud of you. You're so kind and understanding. :huggy:

J

JustinB

I wonder if people would flip out if I said I've attended church a few times on Christmas eve? I don't act like I worship either. I go to support family members (I went once for my BIL, and once for D who wanted to go to support a friend). It's kinda nice to see everyone dressed up. I like singing some of the songs. It's just a nice sense of community. I wish they had a place like that except with no religion. :roflmao:

I wonder if they'd flip out if they knew my parents baptized me, little did they know I wasn't a believer.

Xaquin44

I'm sure jesus is proud of your lame insults.

I put forth that you are a ####ty christian.

edit: haha like 5 people called you on it before me

lol

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
Damn this is a sad thread.

I don't understand why anyone cares how or why other people celebrate the holidays. Some of my family are Christian and some are Pagan. We celebrate BOTH traditions out of love for each other and respect for the beliefs of both sides. It's all about the spirit AND the magic of the season.

We have a Christmas tree complete with angels and crosses AND a Yule log decorated with holly and berries. I enjoy listening to my mother read the Christmas story from the bible Christmas Eve just as much as I enjoy my father telling the story of The Yule Fairy. Regardless of history or belief, I think both traditions are beautiful and I respect the right of everybody to believe and/or celebrate the way that's right for them.

Merry Christmas and Blessed Yule. :yay:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I'm sure jesus is proud of your lame insults.

I put forth that you are a ####ty christian.

edit: haha like 5 people called you on it before me

lol

He can ask his god for forgiveness and all will be forgotten. Just the christian way of excusing hatred.

Xaquin44

"the lord be with you"

"and also with you .... you queer"

it just doesn't inspire me to listen to 'gods word'