Why do Atheists celebrate Christmas?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
my way is for it to be called Christmas and to be a day set aside to praise the birth of Christ.
thanks for understanding.

You're way is wrong. As a christian. you should be ashamed of the tradition. It is after all, pagan.

I understand. You do not.

bcp

In My Opinion
Have you seen How the Grinch Stole Christmas? Maybe you need to watch it. It pretty much says that no matter what, you should be able to celebrate Christmas. Even with nothing, you should still be able to celebrate. That means even if NOBODY celebrated, if lights and trees and parades were outlawed, YOU should still be able to celebrate it. If you can't, that's your problem.
The Gospel according to Dr Suess?
My Bible is missing that one.

bdh802

Bob
why not?

christians did.

that said, I really don't care how religions celebrate their holidays.

I like christmas no matter its origins .... it (generally) brings out the best in people.

HAVE YOU BEEN TO THE MALL LATELY AND SEEN HOW THEY FIGHT OVER PARKING SPACES? HOW ABOUT THE DEATH AT WAL-MART? The best of people. I don't think so.

PsyOps

Pixelated
umm that's exactly what christians are doing ....

Then, as I have said already, lobby to have the name changed. Regardless of the pagan history of gift giving, trees and lights and such Christians adopted these traditions with their celebration of the Birth of Christ. THAT is central to the holiday and not all other crap that you are trying to make Christmas all about. When Christians celebrate this holiday we see the birth of our savior. Yes, we put trees and lights up and give gifts but the centerpiece of the celebration if Christ's birth. THAT is what is celebrated around the world TODAY. This is the day Christians set aside for Christ's birth. This is the day that this country decided they wanted to make a federal holiday in recognition of. CHRISTMAS! Not some other holiday that you want to create. You want to create another holiday have at it.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Ya'll have fun. I'm goin' to watch Prophecies of Iraq. I'm all about learning old idea's.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I couldn't agree more. Christians borrowed from pagan tradition and called it christmas, because the pagan tradition wasn't alligned with church belief.

You really don't know what we're talking about here, so come back after you've done your research.

Okay, so what? It is still what it is. CHRISTMAS. Has been for hundreds of years. And don't be simplistic by trying to tell everyone I don't know what I'm talking about. I understand what it was, and I understand what it is. It's you that doesn't want to recognize what it is.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Yes I am. I'm saying it shouldn't matter to you what the holiday is called. You can celebrate Christmas on July 1st if you want. You're getting upset over petty stuff like the name of the day.

Then, using that same argument it shouldn't matter to you what it's called. So what the heck are you arguing about?

And this is a much larger argument than just Christmas. If yo had read back like I asked you'd know I try to make the point that there is a concerted effort by atheist to remove any mention of God from the public voice. This Christmas argument is just a small part of it. So take that in its complete context and you will understand why I am upset.

It's a larger Constitutional argument. You should at least understand that smallest bit of reality.

PsyOps

Pixelated
its not petty.
its what the day has been for hundreds of years, the desire to change it to holiday from Christmas is an attempt at taking the christian aspect out of it.
If the name was the only thing in question, one could say that the atheists are being petty over the name.

on brick at a time and eventually the wall falls.

:yeahthat:

PsyOps

Pixelated
It's a story. Just like the bible. :smile:

You see. This is really what the argument is about. Because you don't believe, you find it impossible that anyone else could so therefore we are invalidated by your sanctimonious dismissal of anyone else’s choices. This is the type of arrogance that Christians realize the battle is all about.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
You see. This is really what the argument is about. Because you don't believe, you find it impossible that anyone else could so therefore we are invalidated by your sanctimonious dismissal of anyone else’s choices.

Sounds vaguely familiar. I wonder why that is.

PsyOps

Pixelated
It doesn't bother us enough to try to have it changed. We know what it is, even if you don't.

Well, then I would expect you would celebrate it accordingly as I will. What it is to you is not what it is to me and the vast majority of Americans. There seems to be an aweful lot of us that don't know what it is I guess... :rolleyes:

PsyOps

Pixelated
Sounds vaguely familiar. I wonder why that is.

There is nothing sanctimonious about calling something by the name it holds. But there is much arrogance in demanding it be changed simply because it doesn't hold some inclusiveness as defined by a select few.